Gawd whats that?

alan turner (RIP)

I have a large number of images that I have no knowledge of their details so I wondered if I might tap into your brain cells for some answers.it sok for Ricard Farant to take part though please give some others a chance first.

No prizes but if I can get a book printed with some in it then your name will be included in the acks.

Thanks to all.

11073 02.jpg

11073 01.jpg

11195 29 side valve engine.jpg

11235 06 v12 engine.jpg

12218 02.jpg

12218 05.jpg

14937 f.jpg

79510 10.jpg

81521 11.jpg

82936.jpg

86187 06.jpg

89179 01.jpg

Pic 9 is the Ranger Anti Personnel Mine (Scatterable) System mounted onto rear platform of a Combat Support Boat(CSB) 4 tubes of 18 mines each tube =72 mines and if I remember 1440 mines per rack system of 20 tube system clusters (of 4 tubes each)

This could also be mounted on the back of a bedford or 432 etc and was fired remotely either tube by tube using blank shotgun type cartridges in the base of each tube.

Training version fired peat substitutes (same size and weight) that broke down biodegradably through time.

Gary

Piccy 10 looks like one of those sideways forklifts the RAF use to handle drop tanks etc.... but I am still thinking about that! If it a rear view of a Giraffe surely the cab is on the wrong side? But the line of Hydraulic pipes across the back, on the centre of the vehicle do suggest Tele Handler to me.

Edited by antarmike

could pic 10 be a Muir Hill the same as a A5000 MOD. I looked at the vehicle reg 01hv61 and the nearest was 01hv68 1978/79 a muir hill. the cab is on the same side but the back end is different.

Clive

protruckservices.com

could pic 10 be a Muir Hill the same as a A5000 MOD. I looked at the vehicle reg 01hv61 and the nearest was 01hv68 1978/79 a muir hill. the cab is on the same side but the back end is different.

Clive,

Definitely not a MH A5000, I have spent many a time up to my armpits working on them. Axles do look similar though.

I think Les was right, a Liner Giraffe. The only pics of them on Google are models but enough to compare.

Clive,

Definitely not a MH A5000, I have spent many a time up to my armpits working on them. Axles do look similar though.

I think Les was right, a Liner Giraffe. The only pics of them on Google are models but enough to compare.

Could be.. Although cab was on wrong side.

linergiraffe.jpg

But then again exhaust visible on Giraffe leaving nearside of vehicle, (a Giraffe 342 which is a militarized Giraffe 321), under bodywork, just above back tyre, clearly not in this position on the mystery vehicle.

8293whatever.jpg

Second thoughts is that the exhaust coming up behind the cab?!!!

Edited by antarmike
just seen the real exhaust pipe!!!

Could be.. I thought cab was on wrong side, but, no it is correct.

linergiraffe.jpg

But then again exhaust visible on Giraffe leaving nearside of vehicle, , under bodywork, just above back tyre, clearly not in this position on the mystery vehicle.

8293whatever.jpg

The cab on 01HV61 is on the left not the right:confused: Perhaps they could be left or right hand drive?

SAme picture of Liner Giraffe as the one I have already put up appears in "The British Army, Today and Tomorrow" Col. H. C B. Rogers, but in ther what a thought was an exhaust pipe could be rough ground just behind the Giraffe. Front axles clamp to the suspension?? at the front, by two bolts and and plates, the bolts look as if they would fit in the groves in outer end ofthe rear axle casings, which are unused on the rear, because axle is centre pivoted.

But at the front steering is into an arm, on top of the swivel housing, with the rod running backwards. This has no similarity with the rear axle steering.

So the ends of the axles look very similar but the steering arangement is totally different.

I know it means nothing but the tyres are totally diffent tread pattern.

The roof of the cab on the mystery vehicle appears to me in the photo to be solid, it all looks very dark above the drivers head, but clearly the Giraffe roof is glazed and protected with bars.

Edited by antarmike