MOT exemptions

Great War truck

Question

11 answers to this question

This might be a strange question but from what year of production do vehicles need to have an MOT test? Our WW1 trucks do not need it, but if i had an Autocar from say 1923, would that fall under the MOT requirements?

Thanks

Tim,

If a goods vehicle ( not used for carrying goods), is built before 1960 and with a gross design weight over 3500kgs, then it is exempt. That is weight of vehicle plus rated load. I would have thought it might not reach that weight. Are you saying that WW1 era or before vehicles are exempt testing?

I may have this totally wrong, but i thought that the exemption was extended to pre 1918 commercial vehicles which were under 3.5 gross.

A friend has a Model T truck that he wanted to tax.

Tim,

I am not sure about vehicles of that age, not seen it written down, but have never had the occasion too check. Try contacting the HVCS, they should know.

Richard

Looking at the V112G it doesn't mention anything about pre 1960 vehicles that are under 3,500 being MOT exempt. If there is an exemption I would have thought it would have to be mentioned on this document, as it's the document you need to "declare" it's exemption.

Looking at the V112G it doesn't mention anything about pre 1960 vehicles that are under 3,500 being MOT exempt. If there is an exemption I would have thought it would have to be mentioned on this document, as it's the document you need to "declare" it's exemption.

Are you looking at V112G/R, it is under Regulation 30.

Having done this for about 22 years with my own lorry, I knew it off by heart, but just checked the downloadable V112G, with a date on the front of 4/09 and Para. 30 does not now stipulate over 3500kgs gross so looks like the Model T if it is a goods vehicle is exempt.

Clive, where did you see form V112G/R ? I have only seen V112G, see above.

You will most likely need an MOT, but there are all sorts of construction and use exemptions for that age of vehicle. such as;

before 1/10/38 number plate fitting and lighting. (have to have number shown, but without all the later regs, paint it on if you like.

before 1/1/31 lighting regs you need rear reflectors and front/rear position lamps.

Thats just a couple out of the Traffic Officers Companion, I suspect there would be more if you look into it.

Essentially, you need an MOT but there is so little to test that if it can drive to the test centre it should pass the test.