What are the chances ?

mark m uk

It would seem the reasons for not posting replies to threads are very reasonable and valid, However, one thing that shines through is that I am not the only one to wonder why there are not many/any replies to threads. I am, not the only one to be dissapointed, and as one member pointed out stopped posting because of it.

May I respectfully suggest that a lesson has been learned, or not so much learned as restated. - "Nothing is for nothing"

If we cannot find the time for even the most brief "thanks for posting", then we should not be too suprised if there is little of interest on the forum when we log on.

Mark you really can't make people post if they feel they don't want too. Otherwise the whole thread would be just about trying to prop someone's ego up and it would lose its whole impact - sometimes less is more.

Look at it this way - if you are in a pub or a group, at a meeting, how many people do the talking and how many people do the listening? HMVF is just a reflection of the broad spectrum of society.

Mark you really can't make people post if they feel they don't want too. Otherwise the whole thread would be just about trying to prop someone's ego up and it would lose its whole impact - sometimes less is more.

Look at it this way - if you are in a pub or a group, at a meeting, how many people do the talking and how many people do the listening? HMVF is just a reflection of the broad spectrum of society.

I whole heartedly agree Jack, you cannot make people post, and certainly if they don't want to they will not.

Not sure I have really got my head round the business of propping up egos with threads, I am a little confused by that because I have never previously associated the two things together. However, now you have mentioned it I have given it a bit of thought and tend to agree with you to some extent.

I was thinking of that replica VW166 thread, and it is true that getting posative comments about the project is very encourageing and really good for morale - never befor thought of it as ego boosting, but have to confess, I guess that is a really accurate way to describe it !:-D

However, this type of thread is a lot different - no skills, no vehicles or collectables being 'shown off' here.........just an opertunity to open a chat about how long relics may be found in a particular place - cant see my ego getting fueled up by any number of comments.

However, as with my original question - if people are not interested in the subject matter, and have no interest in discussion, then I would not invest my time in starting off.........It would seem from the replies, that is very much not the case :-D

Regards Mark.

Lets be honest, why post if no feedback is given?

Don't forget that that with so many people on this forum , a thread that's been looked at 70 times doesn't say anything. Some people just look at everything but may not be interested in said topic.

No feedback sounds like no interest, hence no reason to continue.

Like when your talking and nobody answers or askes questions, this is a forum, not a onlinebook...

A ego thing? Not really.

If it was I can post so many things elevating my status like the documentary, my personal efforts for last weeks event and such...

Edited by Enigma

A ego thing? Not really.

If it was I can post so many things elevating my status like the documentary, my personal efforts for last weeks event and such...

That wasn't in the context that I meant.

Mark got concerned that no one, or not many replied. The point is, so what? It doesn't make it a bad or a good thread. I for one thought it was a great find but couldn't add anything to it.

And what is the point of someone not posting because, in their eyes, they didn't get the response they wanted! Who on earth knows where their level of 'enough interest' is?????

It's a bit like when I say to Mrs Beckett....'I really love you' and she turns around and says 'how much????????':sweat:

It's a bit like when I say to Mrs Beckett....'I really love you' and she turns around and says 'how much????????':sweat:

:rofl:...............I like that, thats a good comparison.

By the way, I get that too Jack,

Last time it happened to me, she asked "how much",

I replied, "do you want the answer in metric or imperial" :cool2:

Has everyone got PMT today or something???

QUOTE]

Is that the female version of "Jeep (or GMC) not working properly tension". I am a martyr to MVNWPT.

I wander round the house. Cant settle. Very irritable. Liable to burst into tears, shouting, kicking things or screaming with no warning. It is awful. Drinking copious quantities of alcohol does not really seem to help either. I keep trying, but it has not helped yet.

Tim

Has everyone got PMT today or something???

QUOTE]

Is that the female version of "Jeep (or GMC) not working properly tension". I am a martyr to MVNWPT.

I wander round the house. Cant settle. Very irritable. Liable to burst into tears, shouting, kicking things or screaming with no warning. It is awful. Drinking copious quantities of alcohol does not really seem to help either. I keep trying, but it has not helped yet.

Tim

Just settle into the sofa switch the lights down, drink some prestone, wrap up in some green canvas and put on a nice film... something like a bomb-com... you'll be fine

What have you got to worry about? When I tell Mrs N.O.S. that, she turns round and says 'so what have you just been out and bought, then?' :shake:

:Last time it happened to me, she asked "how much",

I replied, "do you want the answer in metric or imperial" :cool2:

That is a brilliant answer. I must try that.

I hate it when they make comparissons. "Do you love me more than cake?"

"what sort of cake?"

"Chocolate of course" (with an element of exasperation).

Saying, "What sort of chocolate?" I have found is not the right answer.

Mark, at least people talk to you. The last time I saw Jack he mugged me and stole my media pass42kmoig.gif

Yeah and it took a hell of negotiating too :argh: ........and money.

- but it is hanging up in my office, a proud day for me, first ever press pass for The Pathfinder.

Went to France last week, and as is almost a duty when in Normandy, I stopped off at one of the D-Day landing beaches.......Omaha.

Here is the beautiful sculpture that sits on the beach to greet any visitors.

france1009118.jpg

The beach these days is for the most part like any other beach, a tranquil happy place where kids run and shout, local people exercise their horses and gulls screech and squark.

france1009122.jpg

france1009123.jpg

This time of the year its a very pretty and peaceful place.

dday.jpg

It is difficult to believe that this quiet and peacful stretch of golden sand was once one of the most dangerous places on the face of this planet. But, looking among the rocks, with the odd lengths of discarded fishing tackle, beer cans, and all the myriad of stuff that gets washed in with the tide and left behind.............there will always be 'evidence' of this beautiful beach having a dark past.

biltrite.jpg

biltrite3.jpg

, great thread at the start ,mark do you have any more pics ,,,what is that sculpture ,, and why is it like it is ?

, great thread at the start ,mark do you have any more pics ,,,what is that sculpture ,, and why is it like it is ?

Phil it is called 'The Braves' and was for the 60th and was only meant to be temporary until there was public uproar and now it is permanent.

Thanks for that Jack, I had no idea that the 'braves' were just intended as temporary.

Personally, I really like the very modern design - its a beautiful thing.

Phil, thanks for those comments, and your interest. I am afraid I do not have too many more pictures of Omaha, but here are a few of Arromaches.

Again a personal thing, but I didn't like the way things were done at Arromanches as much as Omaha...........seemed a little more 'touristy'

The German 88, was treated more like a kids climbing frame than a piece of kit that may well have butchered allied servicemen.........and French men don't have blue taches

france1009061.jpg

france1009060.jpg

france1009059.jpg

france1009057.jpg

These are the things I gravitate towards - the stuff that lies around, not the stuff that is painted up and displayed.

france1009058.jpg

france1009056.jpg

france1009055.jpg

france1009053.jpg

france1009054.jpg