Hotchkiss starting problem

slick50

Can anyone help me........can't get Jeep to start.

Tried everything,cyl pressures are around 120,new points,condenser.

Sparks are good.Took head off to check valves etc and all seems fine.

Any ideas please,it's not often i fail but this one's got me.

Cheers

Are the plugs wet after trying to start the engine. If they are dry you probably have a fuel problem, check the filter, pump and carb float bowl. Another way to check if it is a fuel related problem is to pour a little fuel straight into the carb air intake ( if you do this take care ).

Alan

Same problem, dry plugs so suggests fuel starvation and a little petrol in carb works fine. Seems to hand prime ok using the lift pump lever, but I wonder if it gets some kind of pressure lock inside the carb bowl as a result of hand priming?? (mine is a Willys with n.o.s. solex carb from Hotchkiss - great carb). I've tried slacking off feed pipe to carb, no effect.

Once running no problem at all. Hope to solve it before starter gives out.......very annoying.

Edited by N.O.S.

If I leave mine for a week to two weeks without running, the fuel drains away/evaporates and starting is difficult unless I use the lift pump until I hear the fuel is through to the pump. It will eventually start by using the starter motor to pull the fuel through, but see no point in wearing out the starter.

does this happen when hot or cold? or both?

once it has started if you turn it off will it start straight away?

when its running does it run ok?

At the risk of stealing Slick's thread - only when cold, usually starts again ok, and nice smooth running.

Sticking float needle possible, will look into that.

Only recently started doing this, before you could just pull fuel up with primer and fire her up. Stands a long while between running so loss of fuel from carb is inevitable I guess.

At the risk of stealing Slick's thread - only when cold, usually starts again ok, and nice smooth running.

Sticking float needle possible, will look into that.

Only recently started doing this, before you could just pull fuel up with primer and fire her up. Stands a long while between running so loss of fuel from carb is inevitable I guess.

Hi Tony,

I have had this problem recur on a vehicle in last couple of years. It stands a lot and petrol evaporates from carb and lines due to heat of engine after it last stopped. Hand prime and pressure up to the carb, slacken banjo on carb and it is pressurised. Dry plugs so fuel not getting through. Sometimes giving the carb a tap does the trick. This modern petrol tends to leave a lot of deposits on brass components, also it goes off after some months and ends up more like TVO, ie. will run in a hot engine, but cannot start from cold with it.