How to remove a CVRT gearbox????

woodchips

Hello, need some help before I reach for the oxy-acetylene cutter.

How do you remove the gearbox from a CVRT? Had a hunt on the forum but nothing immediately useful has turned up.

It is now at the stage where everyhting is released except the two drive shafts. I have a note about removing the centre covers in the sprockets and pulling the splined shaft out, done that. It comes out about 2" or so but gearbox still attached. What now?

This is the Sultan I have listed for sale, being scrapped so removing the valuable items before the hull pays for Christmas.

Thanks for your help, don't want to gas axe it out, really.

Bob

Make sure all oil/brake lines, gear change and transfer rods are disconnected. Remove hub cap, then depress the spring loaded locating plunger and pull the shaft out of the coupling. This is on the inside and you may need to rotate the final drive to get this lined up so you can see it.Then remove the 4 bolts from the gearbox clamps and lift out gearbox.

It is now at the stage where everyhting is released except the two drive shafts. I have a note about removing the centre covers in the sprockets and pulling the splined shaft out, done that. It comes out about 2" or so but gearbox still attached. What now?

The shafts have large splined flanges that engage in the gearbox outputs, there is a spring loaded plunger in the splined end at 90 degrees to the shaft, push this in and with someone else pulling the shaft out, Best to screw a UNF bolt in the shaft outer end and use a crowbar, to ease it out. You may have to move the vehicle slightly until the plunger comes in to view.

Edited by Richard Farrant
Chris beat me to it.

Magic, thanks for the help, had to be something simple.

To answer other questions, the gearbox is empty of oil so not yet tried it. I intended to extract it and cobble up a drive and then see if the various gears worked. Not 100% but better than nothing.

I am selling all the running gear from the Sultan. The tracks are near new, road wheels stil have their moulding flash, assume the rest is a similar standard. From other adverts and talking to people prices seem to be about £1000 for gearbox, £1000 for the two tracks, £50 for a pair of road wheels, not so certain for the swinging arms, sprockets, idlers etc.

It is all on site near Scotch Corner, but I can move it to Grantham where I live without too much bother, I have a fork lift at home as well.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bob

Hello, need some help before I reach for the oxy-acetylene cutter.

It comes out about 2" or so but gearbox still attached. What now?

That sounds bad. The quill shaft should come out by arround 2" BUT.....

The shaft is in two parts and is joined in the middle with a joiner and two rather small roll pins. If one of these has broken then the part of the shaft that connects to the gear box will stay with the gearbox. As already stated, you will need to depress a small plunger and pull the quill shaft with that plunger depressed.

Looking at the photo, ignoring the fact that the shaft is fubard you can see the split partway along the splins. Look closer and you'll see two dark circles between the splins. These are the roll pins only arround 3/16 diamiter.

Have fun, I know did......

DSC00007.JPG