Tank names...

Jack

Just been reading this thread.

Vixen does in fact follow the F trend being a "Female Fox". Wasn't it basically a Fox without the Turret.

Old_ROF

It was basically a Fox without a turret but the body was designed to maximise the space inside to cater for passengers.

Prior to the CVRT series there was Saladin and Saracen, but oddly enough War time British recce vehicles were named for the company that built them or had dog like conotations dingo, Dear-hound, Stag-hound etc.

Steve,

A point of correction in regard to Dingo ( the Britsh one ), when trials for selection of a new scout car took place, prior to WW2, one of the vehicles was the Alvis Dingo, another was the BSA Scout Car, which was subsequently selected. The BSA was later renamed Daimler, BSA being the parent company, and Daimler built the vehicle. On no official publications that I have ever come across, has the name Dingo been noted, it was unofficial. But....there was an officially named Dingo and that was from Ford in Australia.

Thanks for the correction, I was unaware that the name was unofficial, but is much more in keeping with standard UK policy of naming the a/cs and scouts after the parent company - was Dingo ever used by servicemen or is at another one of those names that became shorthand in publications or used post war like Achillies and Archer.

The Dognames were actually all given to U.S. built A/Cs in Britiish service apart for the Canadian ones which were named after native animals Lynx and fox.

Steve

Not seeming to fit any pattern are some of the Armoured Flame throwers.

While the Churchill Crocodile variant fits in with the C names, (but Churchill Oke does not! Yes I know OKE describes the flame thrower and isn't actually the name of the tank) .I suppose the Lagonda, Commer/Lagonda Cockatrice, (although wheeled not tracked) fits the general trend for C names.

The AEC Basilisk however seems an odd and very unrelated name for an armoured vehicle

What name series does the "Wasp" fit into

Edited by antarmike

Thanks for the correction, I was unaware that the name was unofficial, but is much more in keeping with standard UK policy of naming the a/cs and scouts after the parent company - was Dingo ever used by servicemen or is at another one of those names that became shorthand in publications or used post war like Achillies and Archer.

Steve,

There was a graphic illustration of the Daimler in action, published in a periodical called "The War", dated 20th Dec. 1940. It was titled "Dingo - Britain's New Armoured Greyhound" and refered to by the name several times in the caption. so this is not a case of a nickname developing in recent years.

I believe Daimler-Benz currently use the name Dingo for a new military vehicle, which is ironic I suppose.

Not seeming to fit any pattern are some of the Armoured Flame throwers.

While the Churchill Crocodile variant fits in with the C names, (but Churchill Oke does not! Yes I know OKE describes the flame thrower and isn't actually the name of the tank) .I suppose the Lagonda, Commer/Lagonda Cockatrice, (although wheeled not tracked) fits the general trend for C names.

The AEC Basilisk however seems an odd and very unrelated name for an armoured vehicle

What name series does the "Wasp" fit into

Crocodile, Basilisk and Cockatrice are all reptiles, albeit the latter is mythological!

Crocodile, Basilisk and Cockatrice are all reptiles, albeit the latter is mythological!

The basilisk is alleged to be hatched by a cockerel from the egg of a serpent or toad (the reverse of the cockatrice, which was hatched from a cockerel's "egg" incubated by a serpent or toad). Basilisk is both mythical and real....

Wasn't Wasp the Bren carrier version? Small and with a nasty sting?

Possibly because the ronson equipped carrier project was keep alive by Canadian interest when the British had lost interest (the carrier used in the Ronson projector trials was a CT numbered carrrier) that it took a Canadian Animal type name as a designation-as you say "small with a nasty sting",

The Basiliskis possibly a ancient Greek recollection of a King or Spitting Cobra, the the supernatural power attributed to it are worrying -it is reputed to be able to destroy wheat with the heat of its breath (so dragon like fire breathing) but was also capable of self imolation which isn't so good a quality for a Flame thrower:cry:.

Steve