Austin K2...(NFS) The Restoration Begins

Marmite!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your infomation Lee and extracxt from a seach on AFS NFS.

The enemy found that when bombing large cities an aircraft full with incendary bombs could do far more damage than a few heavy high explosive bombs. During the Blitz the civilian fire service was not large enough to deal with the scale of fires caused by enemy bombing.

Extra firefighters were recruited into the new Auxilliary Fire Service to suppliment the Regional Forces. The AFS amalgamated with regional forces in August 1941 to form the National Fire Service

After WW11 the Fire Services Act 1947 returned fire brigades in Scotland to local authority control, on the 1st of April 1948.

But due to the cold war the AFS was reformed under the civil defence act 1949

http://www.civildefenceassociation.org.uk/HistCDWebA5V5.pdf

This is when GXH 433 went to Southend. Afraid I don't know its WW2 location.

Hope this gives you a clearer timeline/ now searching boxes of about 5,000 piccies to try and locate one I know I have !!! filing system what filing system

TED

Thanks Ted, great help... is there anyway of tracing it's WW2 History?

Cheers Lee

Spot on Lee -

Can I presume this was what we were talking about last week.

Not sure if this is what you may be looking for but:

Brockhouse Trailer with Coventry Climax Featherweight pump

Complete with tool kit, ladder and suction pipes. Good condition but needs new canvas. Engine last used 3 years ago. £750 ono.

07768 518 770

David Walker

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Markheliops

Thanks Ted, great help... is there anyway of tracing it's WW2 History?

Cheers Lee

Lee been trying to answer that one for several years !! I looked through 3,000 photos last night still not found the shot of it at Southend BUT I do have one somewhere I note mention of the Brockhouse trailer and featherweight pump in a later message wrong era for your machine. In WW2 servicve it could have towed one of a dozen types of pump; In post 1948 AFS service it would have pulled an ex NFS trailer pump issued from Store a Large Dennis, Coventry Climax FF500 or a Coventry climax FSM. The Dennis or FF500 most likely as the FSM was a lower capacity pump; The Brockhouse trailer equipped as mention in MARKHELIOPS message is 1977 item. Hundreds purchased as field telephone line layers for the reconstituted AFS & CD, delivered in the early/mid 1950s.

During the national strike in 1977 the HO equipped 110 of these trailers in store with an FWP and kit as rural pumping units to supplement the Goddesses to be used in rural areas had the part time (retained) firemen gone on strike also-- luckily they didn't !! These remained in store until 1997 when all but a handful were auctioned at Measham. the last handfull passed through Withams in 2005/6.

A great little unit but not authentic for either WW2 or post 1948 AFS for your ATV.

TED

It's an aside, but I do remember an ex-London Transport K2 on the show scene - it was in the old Green colour used presumably for London Country areas. I never knew if it was built on an ambulance or fire vehicle chassis, but thinking about it - some sort of NFS version would probably be favourable.

MB

Mark I think this is the one talked about recently on another forum. Pretty sure the answer was it had never been an LT vehicle. its reg is FYY413 seems it may have started life as a military pattern ambulance but in service with an ROF or similar. Lots of military pattern K2 ambulances ebtered service from new with non military organisations in WW2

TED

Austin Towing Vehicle ex NFS. Later type with Shrapnel roof panels.

So would these panels be wrong for a WW2 era vehicle? when did these panels come in? were they fiited after the war??

Don't look like they woulb be capable of stopping any shrapnel & why only on the roof & not the sides?

The first batch of ATV's had only a thin ply roof covered in a felt to waterproof. No thought had been given to falling shrapnel and debris.

This was very quickly spotted and the shrapnell lining was then installed on all new ATV's and as a retro fit to ones in service.

My Dad I remember had told me it took 4 firemen just over three days.to fit then to the 20 ATV's that were deliverd to his district stations

I belive that 2 NFS firemen were killed in one of the early no shrapnell lined ATV's that had been sent in to London from Kent, to assist in firefighting.

If you do a Goggle search under 'GXH433' there is a mysterious defunct link to an ebay item: 1943 AUSTIN ATV WITH CREW & HARLAND TRAILER PUMP. It looks like it was a photograph of some kind. Kinda frustrating not knowing what exactly it was - but it may only have been a picture of it in the ownersip of a previous preservationist.

Spent a couple of hours down there today whipped out the plugs, point & condensor... hope fully picking up new ones tomorrow. Cleaned the fuel pump out & took off the carb to give it a clean out..

Found the starting handle behind the seats & used it to turn the engine over no problem..

One of the core plugs had blown just behind the distributor, anyone happen to know what size this is??

DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2632.jpg

DSC_2637.jpg

DSC_2638.jpg

DSC_2639.jpg

DSC_2641.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg