Sherman tank dredged from Manila Bay

mcspool

After the one found in Lybia, another Sherman tank has now come to the surface. To me it looks like this was battle damaged Sherman which was stripped for parts and then dumped. Otherwise, the hull looks to be well preserved, possibly because it was buried in clay?

Enjoy,

Hanno

US World War II tank dredged from Manila Bay

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine coast guard says the wreckage of a U.S. tank has been dredged from Manila Bay's muddy seafloor more than 60 years after the end of World War II.

Spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Armand Balilo said Wednesday the M4A1 Sherman tank was accidentally discovered Saturday stuck in mud 15 to 20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of Pasig River.

Balilo says there appears to be no human remains inside the tank. It was discovered without its turret and tracks.

He says a Japanese 105 mm cannon was recovered nearby in July.

Manila was the scene of heavy fighting between U.S. and Japanese forces during the liberation of the Philippines in 1945, and war-era arms and ammunition have been found in the city.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press.

Photo 1:

Members of the Philippine Coast Guard look at the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Photo 2:

A member of the Philippine Coast Guard inspects the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Photo 3:

Filipino reporters look at the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank, foreground, that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Photo 4:

A member of the Philippine Coast Guard jumps off the wreckage of a U.S. World War II tank that was recently recovered in the muddy waters of Manila Bay, in the Philippines on Wednesday Sept. 23, 2009. Authorities said the tank, which appeared to be an M4 Sherman tank minus its turret, was accidentally discovered underwater by a dredging company near the mouth of the Pasig River. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

ALeqM5iNzKwKVSz7QAsKRi6517t6fIosuA.jpg

ALeqM5htx8Um1qzRvNRAPJJT6x4apsV6lg.jpg

ALeqM5j533sj1Zmik1WUwvQCdfAMewUkGw.jpg

ALeqM5gaCUDnmFq0ykUsjuH_JYdzfIJoWw.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Fairly early M4A1.

I was just thinking that too.... looking at the boggies, I have not seen a preserved example with those early track skids... before they finally settled on the version that protrudes forward of the boggie frame.

Oh, PS. I am a dad now :-D .... as of Saturday - a world of sleepless nights, nappies and crying:shake:

I was just thinking that too.... looking at the boggies, I have not seen a preserved example with those early track skids... before they finally settled on the version that protrudes forward of the boggie frame.

Oh, PS. I am a dad now :-D .... as of Saturday - a world of sleepless nights, nappies and crying:shake:

Congratulations!!

Your buying the drinks in the clubhouse...Cola please.:coffee:

Mine has those skids......

Congrats on the baby, your life has changed forever! For the better though....:yay:

Congratulations sir!! Enjoy the peace and quiet (relative) now -when they reach the teens it goes forever!! But also in a good way as you can then pass on the skills and knowledge on the green machines. :)

Back on-topic - what will happen to this find now??