A Ghost Story from WW2

LarryH57

One story that a British WW2 veteran told of an incident in North Africa certainly made me think.

To set the scene: During the fighting in North Africa (before Monty and El Alamein that is) the British Army often had to pull back and withdraw to new defensive positions behind their own minefields. Often there were stragglers left in no mans land who would attempt to reach the Allied lines either on foot or in a vehicle if they were lucky.

So there was our veteran manning a position overlooking a minefield when in the far distance he and his comrades see an ambulance (no doubt an Austin K2) heading straight for them and the minefield! But rather than seeing the vehicle blow up, the veteran and his mates saw the ambulance zig sag this way and that, through the sand until it reached them - which the men thought was amazing so the veteran went over to the driver and said "how did you navigate through all those mines?" And the driver said "an officer beckoned me to follow him to safety through the mines by walking in front of the ambulance". "But we didn't see anyone in front of your vehicle they retorted" where upon the ambulance driver was really insistant "It was an ANZAC officer tall with blond hair and he walked in front of us all the way". "Hold on that's him, that's the officer over there" said the driver pointing to a man lying down in the shade beside a vehicle. "But he died about two hours ago when we were shelled" said the men "and we have not had time to bury him".

Strange or what!

Edited by LarryH57
spelling

Post war story was Colonel Charles Blashford Snell. He was educated in Jersey at Victoria College, during the early 1960's he was in charge of clearing the items that had been stored up post Liberation in the Tunnels at L'aleval (The German Road) Due to the presence of noxious fumes and being underground, the team always worked in pairs. On one ocasion he entered the tunnels with his collegue behind him. They worked for a bout half an hour then Col Blashford Snell came out and asked his companion a question. The bloke looked at him blankly and said' But I ddin't come in with you'.

From his book Mammoth hunt

If anyone saw the Antiques Road Show episode from Jersey the guy who brought the Sticky bomb in. His name is Eric walker BEM, his book is called Don't Annoy the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yin717

Like alot of story's I've heard but they always bring a chill to bone. I think there could be some truth behind it but I would have to look into it deeper with my faith.

Guest Yin717

I read about a story once where an air officer that got shot out of the sky kept coming back to the bar at the air station where all his collegues were. Freaky.

I also read about ghost of a captain who after he died still led his man to safety during conflicts in the First World War. True? Well personally I don't believe that spirits can stay in-between heaven and Earth but I probably would accept God's 'angels' coming to Earth in the form of someone the people would recognise to assist them.

What about someone collecting these Ghost stories and printing them in 'Pathfinder' magazine? Make a good article to read during the long Winter months.

Also, what about 'Herman the German' at Bovingdon Tank Museum?

Guest Yin717
What about someone collecting these Ghost stories and printing them in 'Pathfinder' magazine? Make a good article to read during the long Winter months.

Also, what about 'Herman the German' at Bovingdon Tank Museum?

Not a bad idea! I think I should give this magazine a good look through, I may not be able to read it yet but my Grandad might love it.