Jeep tracking problem?

Jeff Glasser

Question

I'm happier painting stuff, so I aint too bright with the machanical side of things. :confused:

Can anyone help me rectify a developing problem that I've just noticed before a tyre is ruined.

The outside outer rear edge of the the 'bar' on the n.s.f. tyre on my jeep has started to wear unevenly, I'm hoping this is a tracking problem, and nothing too serious.

I'll try and attach a sketch of the problem. I hope it shows just what I mean.

The jeep does'nt wander or try to steer left or right when the steering wheel is let go.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

001.jpg

19 answers to this question

Lockouts are freewheeling hubs...

They disconnect the front wheels from the front transmission, as even when you select 2WD in a 4WD vehicle you are still pushing the front halfshafts, diff and prop shaft round up to the transfer box (in a standard 4x4 setup) which can produce quite a bit of drag.

Lockouts/freewheeleing hubs stop this happening and can help with tyre wear and fuel consumption

It may be a tracking caster camber issue thats highlighting the tendancy though

All bargrip type tyres develop this scalloped pattern of wear to some degree, due to the block of tread moving under steering/braking/driving forces. The wear usually happens sloping to the rear as you look at the top of the tyre, why the nearside more than the o/s? I blame all those bl**ding roundabouts!

That's why I have'nt got any tools left!

Did'nt get a chance to thank you, and the few others that turned up at Dunkeswell 3-4 July. Many promised, but did'nt show. Never mind, it was a new thing, so better luck next year when we'll try again.

Jeff

Don't forget the correct tyre pressure, I run a 352 GMC with bar grips and had this a few years ago on the fronts, I have since replaced the tyres with new ones and run them at a higher pressure now, more in line with the recommended tyre pressures in the manual. Have not got any sign of it coming back, also have adjusted the tracking to manual spec.

Good luck.