3 ton Austin truck 1945

john fox

Question

was looking though the war diary for my fathers unit while at Kew the other day and in July 1945 it lists the unit returning a "3 ton Austin" to workshops because it was worn out (:sweat:)

go on someone educate me as I'm really a PW creature - suggestions/photos as to what Austin please

14 answers to this question

was looking though the war diary for my fathers unit while at Kew the other day and in July 1945 it lists the unit returning a "3 ton Austin" to workshops because it was worn out (:sweat:)

go on someone educate me as I'm really a PW creature - suggestions/photos as to what Austin please

It could be one of three types;

K3 3 ton 4x2

K5 3 ton 4x4

K6 3 ton 6x4

thanks Richard

he was Pioneer Corps, but his Company Diary only references vehicles twice, once in June 1944, when unspecified vehicles and four drivers were lost (Landing Craft) and then post war in Germany Jul - Sept 45.

The post war reference lists the complement as two x 3 ton Austin, two x 15cwt (unspecified) and at least 1 motorbike (used by an officer to do visits). Might be the Austin was worn out coz it was transferred from a unit who had used it up themselves.

thanks Richard

he was Pioneer Corps, but his Company Diary only references vehicles twice, once in June 1944, when unspecified vehicles and four drivers were lost (Landing Craft) and then post war in Germany Jul - Sept 45.

The post war reference lists the complement as two x 3 ton Austin, two x 15cwt (unspecified) and at least 1 motorbike (used by an officer to do visits). Might be the Austin was worn out coz it was transferred from a unit who had used it up themselves.

John,

I would hazard a guess it was a K3 then.

I was reading the official history of 21st Army Group 1944-45, and there is a reference to the Austin K5. Evidently all Austin K5 trucks broke down in Europe, and every spare engine they had was faulty. Harsh words from an official publication printed in 1946.

I was reading the official history of 21st Army Group 1944-45, and there is a reference to the Austin K5. Evidently all Austin K5 trucks broke down in Europe, and every spare engine they had was faulty. Harsh words from an official publication printed in 1946.

One of the trucks my father regularly drove in 15 Scottish Div - RE Field Company- through Belgium Nederlands & as far as the Elbe was a K5 Some photos somewhere. unfortunately I never learnt about the engine problem until after he passed away. But in some units it seems to have caused a major headache.

TED

This K5 is up for sale again on milweb, is there some hidden reason why it is doing the rounds on eBay and milweb for the past couple of years? Anyone know anything about it?

One of our local members Jim did buy & stored it at Bobs with a view to restoring but as Jim already has a number of vehicles he passed it onto Bob who did some work but he's also got a number of other projects so its up for sale.

I'm sure if interested parties contact Bob he can say whats been done or needs doing. Looks like a bargain project to me.

cheers

Paul

One of the trucks my father regularly drove in 15 Scottish Div - RE Field Company- through Belgium Nederlands & as far as the Elbe was a K5 Some photos somewhere. unfortunately I never learnt about the engine problem until after he passed away. But in some units it seems to have caused a major headache.

TED

The engine problem caused so many vehicles to be VOR that trucks had to be borrowed from the Americans in order to keep supplies rolling.

The engine problem caused so many vehicles to be VOR that trucks had to be borrowed from the Americans in order to keep supplies rolling.

Patton was pulling his hair out, because he lost so many trucks to cover this problem (Faulty Pistons)