Hi from sunny Margate

Hi everyone, first post here :yay:

My name's Matt and I've been reading with great interest all the amazing projects on here so thought I'd post and say Hi!

I'm an industrial designer for Airfix (yep i get to make models all day, although mostly the "virtual" sort").

I dont own a HMV (yet!) but hopefully someday!

hi guys and thanks for the welcome :)

I've only been at airfix a few weeks now but am already getting into an interesting little military vehicle project, cant say too much about what it is on here as it's not been announced yet. Basically the process involves lots of research of the project vehicle, from books, drawings and ideally a real vehicle from which loads of photos and measurements are taken. These days things are all done in 3D CAD so the new airfix releases are going to be a lot better than the warped, flashy, inaccurate models of old. Once we've got all the info we model it in CAD and split it up into parts, test for fit and assembly using rapid prototype models and work closely with the guys who make the moulds to ensure its as good as it can be.

We have some interesting armour projects coming up soon, but of course if theres anything anyone would feel is missing from the market that would make a good model subject then tell me!

cheers

Matt

hi guys and thanks for the welcome :)

I've only been at airfix a few weeks now but am already getting into an interesting little military vehicle project, cant say too much about what it is on here as it's not been released. Basically the process involves lots of research of the project vehicle, from books, drawings and ideally a real vehicle from which loads of photos and measurements are taken. These days things are all done in 3D CAD so the new airfix releases are going to be a lot better than the warped, flashy, inaccurate models of old. Once we've got all the info we model it in CAD and split it up into parts, test for fit and assembly using rapid prototype models and work closely with the guys who make the moulds to ensure its as good as it can be.

We have some interesting armour projects coming up soon, but of course if theres anything anyone would feel is missing from the market that would make a good model subject then tell me!

cheers

Matt

Might know the project you mean. :cool2: Pathfinder articale!! As for asking which vehicle to model? Well, there are now a thousand + members here. so that's at least a thousand suggestions!

Hi Matt

I presume you are another Kentish man working in Margate, i have been modelling military vehicles for 40 years now mainly in 1/76-72 scale and i am well aware of the secrecy required when producing new items but tell me are the company intending to extend the small scale range beyond the aqquired JB range and to include some softskin vehicles

cheers

Les

Hi Matt

I presume you are another Kentish man working in Margate, i have been modelling military vehicles for 40 years now mainly in 1/76-72 scale and i am well aware of the secrecy required when producing new items but tell me are the company intending to extend the small scale range beyond the aqquired JB range and to include some softskin vehicles

cheers

Les

yes we are ;)

haha i'd love to do an explorer or pioneer in one of the bigger scales, they're such impressive vehicles and the smaller scales really dont do them justice. we're trying to concentrate on british vehicles, but the issue is finding models that dont exist in the marketplace at the moment (with exceptions of resin+metal kits which arn't really our market) as spending thousands on a new tool set of something that another manufacturer already makes doesnt make economic sence, unless the existing kit has some major flaws.

dont think you can get any of the scamells in 1/35 apart from resin kits tho?

a scamell pioneer with the big tank transporter trailer, in 1/35 complete with tank on the back would make an excellent model- as tamiya already do an m26 pacific so this would make a nice british counterpart!

haha i'd love to do an explorer or pioneer in one of the bigger scales, they're such impressive vehicles and the smaller scales really dont do them justice. we're trying to concentrate on british vehicles, but the issue is finding models that dont exist in the marketplace at the moment (with exceptions of resin+metal kits which arn't really our market) as spending thousands on a new tool set of something that another manufacturer already makes doesnt make economic sence, unless the existing kit has some major flaws.

dont think you can get any of the scamells in 1/35 apart from resin kits tho?

a scamell pioneer with the big tank transporter trailer, in 1/35 complete with tank on the back would make an excellent model- as tamiya already do an m26 pacific so this would make a nice british counterpart!

Look forward to seeing the new models mate ! :-D

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. I think one of the obvious one to do would be the Austin Gipsy as I have only ever saw one prototype model on the internet a few years ago.

We have spent many an hour at shows looking out for a model but have never found one yet.