Daimler.

rbm

Daimler 20hp project

daimlerck.jpg

a slightly later CK22 (c1918-1920)

cb22.jpg

the day after a 23 hour round trip from the lakes to the royal dockyard at Chatham, Daimler with Crossley bi-block engine on top.

3256475864_0cdccd8a4b.jpg

the Daimlers rad in the spare bedroom

daimlergearbox.jpg

gearbox in the cellar on top of a milk kit to keep it out of the tide.

daimlergearboxtally.jpg

gearbox top showing date 27/9/1915.

so I thought following after the other great WW1 rebuild threads I'd start one for our Daimler

over the last 15 years or so I've done ...

... well nowt.

Did the Crossley engine come from Cobham by any chance. Steve tells me that they had a couple but which have since gone on to new homes?

Anway, this is what your Daimler would have looked like in military service. In this particular instance this one has just won a best in show truck competition.

Daimler4a.jpg

it looks very shiny indeed.

Hi rbm, is this the same truck being discussed here post #6?

The new looking rad makes me think it is.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?p=102824&highlight=daimler#post102824

No.

The chap we bought our CB22 Daimler off (who was at the time going to turn it in to a trailer if he couldn't sell it!) also had a later larger Daimler (Y type?) which I guess whould be the one you saw, it was a rolling chassis when I last saw it (over 10 years ago)

This had been extended into a charabanc some time after the war, he was putting it back together and had 'robbed' a number of bits off the CB22 before he sold us it (quite cheaply it has to be said).

when we loaded up the Daimler it has to be said the overhead dockyard cranes made it som much easier!

Tim - what a great picture , now we have someting to aim at.

the Crossley came with the Daimler, the chap had picked it up from some where 30 miles away (I think - but it is a while ago) from Chatham, he had collected it the night before for us and it was one of I thnk 6 or 7 and it was the most complete.

Edited by rbm

Interesting photo Tim - some of the ASC men appear to be wearing the PH hood gas masks, used from 1915-mid 1916 but replaced with the larger Small Box Respirator in 1916, although still (officially at least) worn as back up until February 1918. Maybe they're 're-enacting' 1915!

with both the chaps in the background not being in uniform, I was thinking this may be post armistice. I take it that the polished alli and brass would have been painted originally?

Is the Daimler is not at Beamish anymore? I thought it had pneumatics on it last time I saw it(but that might be down to my poor memory)

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump this up from the past but felt I had something worthwhile to contribute!

The Daimler is still at Beamish in the garage - last time I was there you couldn't view it too well though, i'm there tomorrow.

It's still on solids - the Daimler CC bus replica they built in the 1980's was on pneumatics up until this year when it was repainted and put back on solids. Now it's on solids it is, at least in my view, a perfect replica - even the pedals are arranged like the originals. I haven't seen it in use since it was re-wheeled but hope to soon

Splendid Daimler

The Daimler at Beamish is certainly from Jack Sparshatt's collection. Its a CJ/CK series. Jack's farther sold it new to Strides, Market Garders at Havant, Hampshire in 1923 and bought it back in 1957. Of general interest regarding the CB 2 ton Daimlers, these were built at the Radford Park factory ,Coventry. First listed in Commercial Motor January 1912 but curiously did not make a public appearance until the Manchester show in March 1914, serial numbers are between 800 and 2899, production finished in April 1917. After August 1914 virtually all went to the WD , exceptions being those released for civillian government contract work . Commercial road vehicles were not built again until 1919 when the CJ/CK series were introduced. Serial numbers ran through until about 4500 ending with the CM in 1924/5.

Richard Peskett.

• 2 weeks later...

Glanced at a book on the story of Beamish's transport whilst visiting last week - apparently the plan is to return it to original condition as, I think, a refuse lorry at some point as part of a recreated council depot, and apparently the lorry has been modified at some point in the past

Reference to previous, providing the Daimler at Beamish is definately the ex. Sparshatt vehicle, BK 8794, it dates from 1923 and never has been a refuse wagon, it was bought back by JH in 1957 from the one previous owner, Strides, market garders of Havant. Made its first public appearance in preservation at the 'Old Commercial Vehicle Rally' at Beaulieu in July 1957, a most important event as following a meeting held there the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club was formed. The vehicle of course has been in preservation ever since.

Richard Peskett.

• 2 years later...

hi, I have a 1924 cjk22 chassis, any chance you could tell me the details on the axle tag, if it has one, there usually is the type model Daimler stamped into the tag-- cjk or cka etc, I had more or less given up on this project, I have found another rear end for a cka and got some radiator sidewing patterns, and the correct gearbox turned up for the cjk, but the fact that only so few came to nz, this has reduced my chances of finding anything else for years,

cheers mike.

hi, I have a 1924 cjk22 chassis, any chance you could tell me the details on the axle tag, if it has one, there usually is the type model Daimler stamped into the tag-- cjk or cka etc, I had more or less given up on this project, I have found another rear end for a cka and got some radiator sidewing patterns, and the correct gearbox turned up for the cjk, but the fact that only so few came to nz, this has reduced my chances of finding anything else for years,

cheers mike.

Mike - I am writing to you on your own Email address!

Tony

cheers mike.

Mike

Ive no idea what the tags say, frankly I do not know a lot save these were spares after a rebuild of a 1922 CK22 by an old family friend. The restored CK22 was sold by auction some time ago following a death in the family. The parts were supposed to go with it, but an issue with the haulage firm meant that they did not.

As a result of my posting I understand that these parts have been secured by a gent in Essex who intends using them to rebuild a wartime Daimler CB that he has. Basically he made contact with me on Monday, and bought them yesterday. He had been intending using a 6 cylinder Knight sleeve valve engine that he had. I assume this is a large car item??.

These parts had been made known to a mutual friend of Messrs Gosling and ours some time ago, but I know the vendor was keen to 'get rid', and had given my father another prod to see what he could do.

Given how useful they would be to you, and following a phone call from Tony I've sent you contact details of the purchaser via PM.

Edited by 8_10 Brass Cleaner

Hi Tony, thanks for your assistance, Hedd has supplied me with the new owners details, i'll give him some time to at least receive the parts and contemplate whether they are of use for his project, then i'll make contact with him, may even end up he gets some of the parts I have as at least someone will be going forward instead of a collection of nothing but steel and wheels! ay! cheers mike.

• 5 years later...
On 1/14/2015 at 6:33 PM, blastermike said:

cheers mike.

I know this has been a few years , but this post came up while I was searching for info on a Daimler  brass plate I have  and it has on it  Type CJK  

I also  live in New Zealand . From what you said there were very few that came to NZ . Is it possible this plate came of the vehicle you have or does it have the info you were looking for . Steve Lawson  Nelson      email fernleighbooks@gmail.com and I can send you a picture . 

Does anyone know how this project is progressing? I remember it when Chris Jones had it at Chatham, I often wondered what became of it. Likewise Karl Hopper had what I recall was a Thornycroft (but I am probably wrong, I was very young at the time) which came from the Philp Auction - although I stand to be corrected on that!