Ward La France Gallery

I am at work at the moment, so I cannot look at the publication, it is a tankograd publication that is been long out of print, I will get the publication number and post it later today. It is no longer available from Tankograd, I bought my copy off of ebay several years ago.

John G

Hi John

You're correct. There was a magazine published back in 2001. Just found out about it, thanks to you. Contains 40 pages, the new TM 8 pages more. I'll contact the author to see what has changed...

Greetings

Chris

wlf-6001-tankograd.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently replaced the wood on top of my toolboxes. When I got the truck, there was plywood on top of the 2 toolboxes, I used #1 pine and painted but I did not like the way it turned out, so , instead I used red oak and left it in a natural finish.

John G

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

I recently replaced the wood on top of my toolboxes. When I got the truck, there was plywood on top of the 2 toolboxes, I used #1 pine and painted but I did not like the way it turned out, so , instead I used red oak and left it in a natural finish.

John G

Very nice. When I first got my previous truck it had wood on the tops of all the lockers but it was rotten so I removed it but never got round to replacing it. I always thought it would look best in natural colour or with matt polyurethane varnish, but would be vulnerable to damage from equipment being loaded in and out. You'll have to get used to removing the side boards!

Is that your truck storage palace behind?

- MG

Mike;

If you notice the V tow bar, removing the sideboards made loading that easier along with the rear side pull attachment that is on the other side of the bed.

The Mrs gave me a sign for my shop "Garage Mahal" I politely thanked her, however, I told her the garage is what is attached to the house with her 2 cars parked in it, this is the SHOP. The Wards cannot fit inside (they are stored off site) but the Diamond T's home is the center bay.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I took the Ward to a local show today. It was fun letting the young kids hit the siren button and get behind the wheel and grab the big steering wheel. For fun, I suspended my son's toy jeep from the boom.

John G

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
hi all, in response to mr carters request about the ex wynns wrecker number 201, it belonged to a good friend of mine in bristol geoff brown, he owned 16 wlfs, he bought the wrecker two months before wynns became part of united transport and had abrand new gardner 150 engine. geoff used it full time for recovery and winching but it suffered a lot with transmission problems and the fact that it had 1200x20 and 1100x20 tyres. geoff sold the ward in 1985 for 350 pounds and he thinks it went up north.the ward is pictured in geoffs colours and he recalls the the front winch was missing due to the fact of the extra lenth of the gardner engine.i think we can assume that the old girl has been cut up , hope of interest tony g.

Hi i took the photo of 201 in 2008 this wagon is very important to me in that as A child during the seventies I used to visit wynns yard , my father was a fitter there and had been for 30 years and had used much of their old kit, by 1978 he was one of only a few who would drive it.

I recall him parking outside our house in Magor over night ,I was the most excited kid around,unfortunatlely the batteries were flat in the morning. He has a photo of himself and 201 in newport yard after towing in a burnt out foden on a Sunday afternoon ,he recalls it almost turning over coming down the a449 at the cold ra due to the swing motion of the suspended foden. The missing front winch was sold to magor engineers who fitted it to a six wheel leyland wrecker,which was then grafted to Volvo f88. I recall the day 201 was parked amongst a row of redundant Atkis with the names painted out with red oxide very sad! I tried to scratch it off ,no chance. Obviously it was gone the next time I went to the yard.rumours was that it had gone over the bridge to Severn beach,in later life I travelled over but never found it.by chance I was talking to an old gent at a steam rally and asked about a ward ,he said I know where it is ,a phone call one evening confirmed it and the owner invited me to go and see it .proudly I took my ageing father with me including his photo to view it ,I would love to own it one day

• 10 months later...
think panes garage is in Upton-Upon-Seven as i recall seeing the ward parked out side the front of the garage when i went to the Welland steam show earlier this year. nice to see such an iconic truck still owned and operated by a working garage.

cheers sam

Yes it sure is, don't know why I said Stourport :nut:. Good to hear that it is still around though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...