Ward La France Gallery

Hello Tony

Its quite an interesting photo I wasn't aware that any Wynn's ward la frances were still in existence. I found it on the interent a while ago.

Unfortunately I dont know where the location is it or if its for sale or not.

Regards

Ross

• 1 month later...

That last few pic's show a WLF that is still in constant working use winching-recovering etc, it was fitted with a V8 Perkins motor by the Hereford based Garage, but has been used by Regal Garage Upton upon Severn for a good few years, its often rated as the best looking winching outfit working in the U.K. lucky for me I live about a mile from it and class it as local Treasure, I fill my Jeep up with petrol at this Garage, it makes passing traffic think they are in ether a time warp, or in hill billy land.

Fairbairn Sykes

Edited by Fairbairn Sykes
wrong stuff

That last few pic's show a WLF that is still in constant working use winching-recovering etc, it was fitted with a V8 Perkins motor by the Hereford based Garage, but has been used by Regal Garage Upton upon Severn for a good few years, its often rated as the best looking winching outfit working in the U.K. lucky for me I live about a mile from it and class it as local Treasure, I fill my Jeep up with petrol at this Garage, it makes passing traffic think they are in ether a time warp, or in hill billy land.

Fairbairn Sykes

I hadn't recognised that as Mike's truck in an earlier life.

For completeness we'd better have a 'now' photo:

PanesWLF.jpg

- MG

I hadn't recognised that as Mike's truck in an earlier life.

For completeness we'd better have a 'now' photo:

PanesWLF.jpg

- MG

It was the registration number which confused me as I have pictures like the above but it shows a different reg in the earlier pictures.

Smithy, Mike Panes banger is the Praills of Hereford WLF, you have to agree about the best looking recovery/winch truck claim, I can ask about the No plate thing if you are interested, Praills had the Perkins dealership in the area, that would explain the V8 Perkins under the hood, there is/was some other WLF pieces snoozing in the corner of the yard as well.

Fairbairn Sykes

Smithy, Mike Panes banger is the Praills of Hereford WLF, you have to agree about the best looking recovery/winch truck claim, I can ask about the No plate thing if you are interested, Praills had the Perkins dealership in the area, that would explain the V8 Perkins under the hood, there is/was some other WLF pieces snoozing in the corner of the yard as well.

Fairbairn Sykes

It is certainly something different. Yes please do ask about the No plate if you could, as I'm sure others would like to know as well. I'm guessing the other bits you refer to are perhaps soemthing like the below which I took some years ago now? Although looking at it I'm not sure if it is a WLF?

DSCF0734.jpg

The vehicle pictured could be a series 1, notice that it has the "early" style air cleaner on the right side of the engine, if it is a series 2, it is an earlier version (first contract). Also, sometime in it's life it had an open cab installed.

John G

Smithy, mike told me this morning that the old No plate is hanging up some place in his Garage, the No was kept by Praills (But never re-registered to any Vehical) so mike took an age related plate to keep things looking sweet, in the petrol sales area under the counter is a WLF service and parts manual, plus it would now seem that the "Ward" is never to be used again, mike has a Bedford TM on main line winch duty that is working a"Blinder", so now the WLF is not used for "owt" just parked snoozing???

Fairbairn Sykes

p.s. I used to have a DT980 up to a few years ago, I still have odd bits for em' plus service and parts books dumped in mountains of other stuff not needed.

Smithy, mike told me this morning that the old No plate is hanging up some place in his Garage, the No was kept by Praills (But never re-registered to any Vehical) so mike took an age related plate to keep things looking sweet, in the petrol sales area under the counter is a WLF service and parts manual, plus it would now seem that the "Ward" is never to be used again, mike has a Bedford TM on main line winch duty that is working a"Blinder", so now the WLF is not used for "owt" just parked snoozing???

Fairbairn Sykes

p.s. I used to have a DT980 up to a few years ago, I still have odd bits for em' plus service and parts books dumped in mountains of other stuff not needed.

Thanks very much for the extra information. Shame that it is being retired as I remember it made the news headlines on Midlands Today/Central News more than a couple of times when it was used in winching jobs etc.

Fairbairn Sykes

The 'new' TM has a WLF/Garwood rear winch mounted mid-way up the chassis as he says it's the best winch for his sort of work.

- MG

Would this be the one out front? (photo thanks to Rosco, I think)

M1WarwickshireFeb2007.jpg

On Google Earth I can see a yellow 'something' out back with what looks like a red crane.

- MG

I helped restore this M1 way back in the late 1970's .It originally came from Troopers lodge garage near Evesham.

It was in a sorry state I have pictures of the restoration somewhare.It has a Leyland Bus engine and the bonnet has been extended.

At the time it was quite a rare vehicle and we considered it worth restoring and we did get it to Duxford one year.

The old Ward has probably paid for its self as it was the only vehicle that could rescue tractors and combines that fell into big holes,we had to take it once to rescue a modern recovery vehicle that was stuck in a snow drift.

I remember contacting the American La France company at Elmira Heights NY by post (no internet then) and a few weeks later they sent me a parts manual that they still had.

I think it took about 3 years to restore and I believe it has had another restoration since.

The garage has used a lot of ex military vehicles as recovery. The Leyland allready mentioned a Bedford RL , Diamond T,1/2 ton Dodge (was a command car)a post war Dodge (ex USAF) .

In return for helping with the Ward my Jeep had an extensive engine rebuild and body work repairs .

Happy Days we were young once

• 2 weeks later...

My friend, Jeff Jensen, who lives in Excelsior, Minnesota,(U.S.) gave me permission to post these photos of his truck in action. Every spring, Jeff launches the steam boat "Minnehana". He tows it from it's storage barn to the ramp which is about 200 yards away. What is impresssive is that the boat and trailer weigh 70 tons, and the old Ward has no problem moving it.

John G.

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Tony;

The boat and several others of the same design were used to transport peolpe on the lakes in the region. This boat is the last one in operable condiiton. It was saved, as it had sunk in the lake. A group got to gather and salvaged it and over sevaral years and a lot of volunteer help, it was restored. I believe it dates from around 1900 and has a triple expansion steram engine. It now lives out it's days (in season) taking tourists on the lake for short excursions.

John G

• 1 month later...
I helped restore this M1 way back in the late 1970's .It originally came from Troopers lodge garage near Evesham.

It was in a sorry state I have pictures of the restoration somewhare.It has a Leyland Bus engine and the bonnet has been extended.

At the time it was quite a rare vehicle and we considered it worth restoring and we did get it to Duxford one year.

The old Ward has probably paid for its self as it was the only vehicle that could rescue tractors and combines that fell into big holes,we had to take it once to rescue a modern recovery vehicle that was stuck in a snow drift.

I remember contacting the American La France company at Elmira Heights NY by post (no internet then) and a few weeks later they sent me a parts manual that they still had.

I think it took about 3 years to restore and I believe it has had another restoration since.

The garage has used a lot of ex military vehicles as recovery. The Leyland allready mentioned a Bedford RL , Diamond T,1/2 ton Dodge (was a command car)a post war Dodge (ex USAF) .

In return for helping with the Ward my Jeep had an extensive engine rebuild and body work repairs .

Happy Days we were young once

yes thats the ol gal,the chap who owns her has many a photo of her in action and speeks highly of the old beast!