Scammell S26 Gallery

Afternoon Mike,

Thanks for the info on the diffs I think I will keep my eyes open for a pair. No the crane is not military, it is a Ferrari of another MVT members rigid transporter, that it is why it is in deep bronze green. He is upgrading the transporter to carry a 432 so had to remove the crane due to axle weight issues.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theoretical V max will be 70mph but will give a sensible 55mph cruise. Most of the tankers will have done nominal miles but in my case with just 40k miles on the clock the bearings were in a terrible state, I assume with the short journeys the diff oil never got hot enough to evaporate any condensation that built up. I was also going to convert the trailing axle to spring brakes as I had all the parts but Clive advised that it may be necessary to increase the size of the air tank used to blow the brakes off, apparently modern regs stipulate 4 parking brake releases with the engine stopped.

Theoretical V max will be 70mph but will give a sensible 55mph cruise. Most of the tankers will have done nominal miles but in my case with just 40k miles on the clock the bearings were in a terrible state, I assume with the short journeys the diff oil never got hot enough to evaporate any condensation that built up. I was also going to convert the trailing axle to spring brakes as I had all the parts but Clive advised that it may be necessary to increase the size of the air tank used to blow the brakes off, apparently modern regs stipulate 4 parking brake releases with the engine stopped.

Would that be with the 12.00 x 20 tyres as these give a 10% increase on the 10.00 tyres ? I asume you had to do away with the diff locks with the faster diffs ?

Checked the rear springs on the S26 today, they are identical to the ones on my Crusader 35T tractor, 8 leaves 3.5" wide with a total depth of 7" work that one out. You were right about the wheel spacers, they are 1/2" thick and fixed to the drums with countersunk screws. With 7.50 rims on the inside there is just over 1/2" of clearance between the 12.00 tyre and the spring, tried one of the 8.00" wheel and tyre assemblies on the inner and the tyre is CLOSE but not touching !

Would that be with the 12.00 x 20 tyres as these give a 10% increase on the 10.00 tyres ? I asume you had to do away with the diff locks with the faster diffs ?

Checked the rear springs on the S26 today, they are identical to the ones on my Crusader 35T tractor, 8 leaves 3.5" wide with a total depth of 7" work that one out. You were right about the wheel spacers, they are 1/2" thick and fixed to the drums with countersunk screws. With 7.50 rims on the inside there is just over 1/2" of clearance between the 12.00 tyre and the spring, tried one of the 8.00" wheel and tyre assemblies on the inner and the tyre is CLOSE but not touching !

No, with 295/80 22.5 which are almost the same diameter as 10.00R20. You would get a further 10% with 12.00R20.

Not sure why you think the diff locks would be a problem??

The tankers used a 12R22.5 tyre on an 8.25" rim with a single spacer but the 12R22.5 tyres are nominally 292mm wide compared with 12.00R20 at 313mm.

The tankers were outside of C&U regs, IIRC they grossed at 30 tons laden, 24t on the bogie and 6t on the front. The rear springs were definitely +2 leaves on the tractor I had here.

No, with 295/80 22.5 which are almost the same diameter as 10.00R20. You would get a further 10% with 12.00R20.

Not sure why you think the diff locks would be a problem??

The tankers used a 12R22.5 tyre on an 8.25" rim with a single spacer but the 12R22.5 tyres are nominally 292mm wide compared with 12.00R20 at 313mm.

The tankers were outside of C&U regs, IIRC they grossed at 30 tons laden, 24t on the bogie and 6t on the front. The rear springs were definitely +2 leaves on the tractor I had here.

Evening Mike,

I thought the axle diff locks would work on the old diff and changing them over would render them inoperative. I have no manuals or parts books for the SOMA axles so do not know the internal layout. I don't doubt you at all but am still surprised that you can take the diffs out of a tanker with British made axles and transfer them into the SOMA French built axles with no problems... or am I missing something ?

John.

Evening Mike,

I thought the axle diff locks would work on the old diff and changing them over would render them inoperative. I have no manuals or parts books for the SOMA axles so do not know the internal layout. I don't doubt you at all but am still surprised that you can take the diffs out of a tanker with British made axles and transfer them into the SOMA French built axles with no problems... or am I missing something ?

John.

Yes, they both have SOMA axles, are you confusing the S26 tanker 14AY96 Scammell S26

with the T45 re-cabbed Bison version?

http://www.military-vehicle-photos.com/picture/number1078.asp

The only difference I found on the S26 tanker/tractor axles is the bracketing for the radius arms and the diff ratios. The S26 has both inter axle and cross axle diff locks, I believe the Crusader only had an inter axle lock.

Yes, they both have SOMA axles, are you confusing the S26 tanker 14AY96 Scammell S26

with the T45 re-cabbed Bison version?

http://www.military-vehicle-photos.com/picture/number1078.asp

The only difference I found on the S26 tanker/tractor axles is the bracketing for the radius arms and the diff ratios. The S26 has both inter axle and cross axle diff locks, I believe the Crusader only had an inter axle lock.

Yes that is where I'm confused. So does the S26 Tanker also have hub reduction ? seen plenty of them at Withams recently but never really looked at the axles. Crusader 35T RE Tractor only has inter-axle locks, the Crusader EKA has cross locks as well.

Yes that is where I'm confused. So does the S26 Tanker also have hub reduction ? seen plenty of them at Withams recently but never really looked at the axles. Crusader 35T RE Tractor only has inter-axle locks, the Crusader EKA has cross locks as well.

Yes! Same type with the flat cover and 8 bolts.

very rare i dont recall how many they made i only saw one when i was driving and that drove right around me as i was bogged down in a feild very good off road but as i recall plated at 38 tons and a payload of 21 ? tons so they never caught on when was the last time anyone saw one on the road

very rare i dont recall how many they made i only saw one when i was driving and that drove right around me as i was bogged down in a feild very good off road but as i recall plated at 38 tons and a payload of 21 ? tons so they never caught on when was the last time anyone saw one on the road

Looks like it was the "proto-type" for all those similarly configured Fodens that the Army bought :undecided:

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it was the "proto-type" for all those similarly configured Fodens that the Army bought :undecided:

I was involved the trails of the Multidrive Foden/MWD tankers. The one on Ebay is the MK1 Multidrive configuration with drawbar type steering mechanism. The original mil buy was used in the first Gulf war to carry fuel and if i remember water as well. There were 2 tank and single tank ones. The 2 tank version used the tanks that were actually earmarked to be sold to Saddam Hussein for aircraft refuelling but this obviously fell through so were bolted on the back of the Multidrive chassis. But the MK1 Multidrives actually used a Bedford TM type tractor units with a very big loud Caterpillar engine in it. These were used later in Bosnia but were soon replaced with the Foden version with an improved Mulitdrive chassis, doing away without the drawbar method of steering. Of course they had a powered rear bogi and as previously mentioned were very good cross-country but were limited to amount of payload.

The final version again, with Foden tractor units and more strengthened chassis on the back end were the last time employed in mil service and were sold off at Withams i think not so long ago. Funny thing was i trialled the original ones back in 1991 or so then whilst i was in Bosnia around 2003/4 the last ones were being sent back to UK of which i was repsonsible for getting them prepared.

I suspect the S26 version on Ebay was what Multidrive used to sell to Quarry Companies of which a few bought.