Scammell S26 Gallery

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also see that none of the diff locks work. Is this a known problem? I assume they have seized after standing for years in MVS and Hampdens.

Bob

What, all 4?? Beware of getting it stuck and spinning the inter axle diff in the leading rear axle as you will do some serious damage.

Edited by radiomike7

Hello to everyone, first post after joining.

Got to get the question asked, have just bought an S26 SLDT, where can I get a workshop manual for it? The hissing of air makes it immobile some times, and there is a lot of pipework to check.

How many other people wasted hours getting the tipper to tip because the tipper/crane control lever is marked back to front?

Bob

Did you buy it from Hamptons ?

Hello all

None of the diff lock air actuator pull (push?) rods move when switching the diff lock control to position 3, or any warning lights come on. Can I run the air system from a compressor to save idling the engine all the time, gets very smelly underneath, also hot bits. It has been bought to use, so the diff locks have to work. I have got a wheeled loader stuck in 2' mud and a Caterpillar tracked loader with the tops of the tracks under the mud, see the problem?

I bought it from the advert on milweb, £7k, Hampdens wanted £8k. It is road registered and had a drive in it, seemed fine but it is of course 25 years old. I have no experience of HGVs so a bit of a difference, keep hitting trees in the wood and bending things, trouble is lots of trees and only one S26.

Bob

Hello all

None of the diff lock air actuator pull (push?) rods move when switching the diff lock control to position 3, or any warning lights come on. Can I run the air system from a compressor to save idling the engine all the time, gets very smelly underneath, also hot bits. It has been bought to use, so the diff locks have to work. I have got a wheeled loader stuck in 2' mud and a Caterpillar tracked loader with the tops of the tracks under the mud, see the problem?

I bought it from the advert on milweb, £7k, Hampdens wanted £8k. It is road registered and had a drive in it, seemed fine but it is of course 25 years old. I have no experience of HGVs so a bit of a difference, keep hitting trees in the wood and bending things, trouble is lots of trees and only one S26.

Bob

couple up your compressor to the FRONT RED palm coupling, it will save you idling the truck whilst you play with the diff locks. It will also save your lungs and eyes, it is a Rolls Eagle !!!

Hello all

Bob

If its the one I think it is it is registered as a recovery truck and MOT exempt. How that happened I hate to think!

As you are not particularly experienced with HGV's I think it might be a great idea to either get it MOT'd properly or at the very least get it thoroughly checked over by a good HGV Mech... Loaded, its 26tons of hard to stop dead weight!

Good luck on the Diffs

Hello, thanks for the comments.

Yes, it is registered as a recovery truck and is MoT exempt, you just ask for the classification you want it in, bit of arguing but you are using it, not them. On the drive around the lanes, and I have now used it to shift and dump full loads of spoil, the brakes seem extremely efficient. From the maintenance manual the only brake test is with a Tapley, no rolling roads, but on mud and grass I would never get anywhere near the 80% required. Need the manuals to determine the level of the problem. The emergency stop on the parking brake does give some backup of course.

Found that the tyres on the S26 DROPS are exactly the same size, so need to find a few spares, tree stumps really rip up tyres.

Why did Scammell put the brake linkages from the actuators UNDER the axle? In fact the whole vehicle is surprisingly fragile, the smallest saplings move the mirrors. Has anyone fitted a roll cage around the cab? And what would you fix it to because of the cab tipping.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, further uodate.

Had some help so could waggle diff lock control whilst looking at the actuators. Only one was actually seized, the inter axle one. Good spray of Duck Oil and they all move freely now. The warning lights still don't come on, need to get a circuit to work out what is happening there.

Apart from getting stuck, what is the best way of confirming that the diff locks actually work? Jacking up wheels doesn't sound sensible, no jack big enough anyway.

Finally got to use the crane. Has anyone fitted a manual extension to it? Whilst it has a reach of 6m, that is still far too close for woodland work, another 6m would be fine but might just be a little too far, anything extra is better than nothing.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi woodchips. The rear brake servo's on your vehicle are the standard DANA position for the SD66 rear Axles, the same as the DROPS vehicle.its nothing to do with scammell engineering

The warning light problem maybe the switch's on the diff lock servo's being corroaded or the pins in the electrical boot connector.

Hope this helps.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Edited by protruck
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone, I have searched all the usual suspects but have been unable to locate a decent 6x6 S26 grab loader/tipper. Does anyone know of any currently for sale ?

I want one to use, not just to play with so i can do without having one which will be in the workshop all winter.

Thanks,

DR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Evening everyone, I have searched all the usual suspects but have been unable to locate a decent 6x6 S26 grab loader/tipper. Does anyone know of any currently for sale ?

I want one to use, not just to play with so i can do without having one which will be in the workshop all winter.

Thanks,

DR

I have one for sale, sldt low miles not registerd runs drives tips etc

dave

• 9 months later...

Hi Kevin.

Will look a nice truck when she's finished, it's a shame that it appears to have lost some of

it's ground clearence between 2nd and 3rd axles due to the lower body work. maybe also on

the rear axle articculation on the rear body. it all depends on how much, if ever off road work

she will do.

It will look impressive when she's completed.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Clive