Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Acock, he would have driven out but despite the coffee pot, the radiator tubes had become uncovered, and he was worried about overheating.................:whistle:

I saw him do this at Weavers Down as well, made a satisfying ccrrrrump noise!

Hi,

can somebody help me with wis Scammell? What type is it?

In the description is Pioneer 6x6

Could it be a prototype that eventually evolved into the Explorer?

The off road limitations of the 6x4 layout were aparrently highlighted during the war, so they looked at driving the front axle.

No idea how many prototypes were built (or if a 6x6 Pioneer was ever officially released) but the Scammell register site (http://www.scammellregister.co.uk/history-of-scammell.html) seems to show two variations.

An early looking one climbing the wall which seems to have the front axle in front of the engine, and the picture beside it which seems to have the front axle under the engine as in the explorer layout.

Your picture seems to show a forward mounted axle, so this could be a variation of one of the earlier prototypes, or a later development of the same.

Have any of these survived I wonder?

Hi,

can somebody help me with wis Scammell? What type is it?

In the description is Pioneer 6x6

Radek, it is not a prototype Explorer but a Pioneer R100 gun tractor that has been converted to 6x6 with a crude front axle conversion. Here is a better view of the driven front axle:

I like the caption, it suggests that it is 'straightening out' the Crusader tank!

scan0001..jpg

Edited by radiomike7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...