Scammell Explorer Gallery

hi guys just thought i would let you know we have got hold of another scammell for our collection which takes it to 4 explorers sat in our garage oh and i got a martian with it too

oh and ive i managed to save a gmc 1009 and generator trailer from the scap

better get a bigger shed soon

good job ive got a understanding missus lol

pics to follow watch this space!!!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys just thought i would let you know we have got hold of another scammell for our collection which takes it to 4 explorers sat in our garage oh and i got a martian with it too

oh and ive i managed to save a gmc 1009 and generator trailer from the scap

better get a bigger shed soon

good job ive got a understanding missus lol

pics to follow watch this space!!!!!

Nice one Chris ! Look forward to the photos and details ! :D

sit and enjoy after a long night travelling form barrow in furness to the isle of mull we picked up a couple of soveneirs most people bring back a key ring or a post car or some even manage to get a spoon with a picture on it

but oh no not me and r kid we go the whole hoggggggg!!!!

043.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

047.jpg

051.jpg

050.jpg

049.jpg

056.jpg

DCP_0768.jpg

DCP_0767.jpg

055.jpg

054.jpg

Picture_0384.jpg

Here you go. I posted these probably a couple of years ago now. Photos taken by a friend on holiday who's not into Scammells but knew I would be interested. They look in pretty good shape and I'm glad they've gone to a good home. Well done Big Chris!

18-01-2010 22;34;26.jpg

18-01-2010 22;34;26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:DWhat a good idea. another good mod is to weld huge amounts of steel to the front which can then be used to bulldoze a trench and stop the diffs grounding out:cool2: Also helps to keep steering nice and heavy when manouvering:sweat:

scammell front snow.jpg

Seems those mischievous REME lads have been modifying their Explorer..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39815[/ATTACH]

There are a couple in preservation sporting this style of lamp arrangement, always assumed it was a civvy mod, but maybe not..

In Civvy life it is sometimes a mod used when working a snowplough...

In Civvy life it is sometimes a mod used when working a snowplough...

That's true, although Forceful had a very large snow plough fitted when in service with the Royal Aircraft Establishment, all they did was bodge a couple of chrome Butler lights onto the air-cleaner boxes..

I reckon the idea of fitting lights like those in that pic is to see over ridges and into deep holes when off road at night, they seem to be tipped down and this would make the beam pretty well match with the driver's eye line.

hi fella's

here's another explorer waiting for a bit of tlc, this one is on nelson green's airfield in lincolnshire. even if you didn't want the scammell it would be a good place to visit, i reckon there must have been over 500 pieces of old plant and military vehicles there, a really interesting place.

the explorer looked very sound mechanically but the bodywork is as bad as it looks, incidentally if you do decide to have a punt at it the owner steve green isn't daft and won't let it go for peanuts but you might be able get a good deal out of him if you catch him on a good day.

eddy

Good for spares or mabey someone who has bucket loads of cash and time. clearly Steve Green isn't daft thats why he keeps everything under cover so it doesn't rot away and turn to sh1t. I hate places like this it just pisses me off seeing some very nice gear rotting away. you just know they got hold of them cheap and now they wont let them go for less than "scrap value"

Young people will never be able to get into this hobby if they have to pay huge amounts for vehicles that are left out to rot. I know a couple of lads that could scrape together a couple of hundred quid to buy it and they would spend many years sorting it out .

He had a couple of roadless fordsons rotting away too

there's a guy who rents trailers near to me who has 2 diamond t's in his yard slowly rusting away but runners apparently, anyway a guy on the forum was interested so i approached the owner and asked him what he wanted for them, ten grand each !! when i laughed and said you could buy a fully restored one for that he just said that's the price take it or leave it, we left it and now they will sit there til he dies and then get scrapped or stripped for parts.

there's nowt so queer as folk.

eddy

hi fella's

here's another explorer waiting for a bit of tlc, this one is on nelson green's airfield in lincolnshire. even if you didn't want the scammell it would be a good place to visit, i reckon there must have been over 500 pieces of old plant and military vehicles there, a really interesting place.

the explorer looked very sound mechanically but the bodywork is as bad as it looks, incidentally if you do decide to have a punt at it the owner steve green isn't daft and won't let it go for peanuts but you might be able get a good deal out of him if you catch him on a good day.

eddy

I have a couple of bottles that will sort that out in a trice, (one is black, the other is maroon)

• 2 weeks later...
dorking i think? will try and find out:cool2:

Dorking it was, does Brockhamhurst Road ring a bell? Look at my attached pictures (which I only now happened to run across while looking for others). The owner had one Explorer under restoration, those two out back were for spares. Must be the same ones as in 6 x 6's picture.

What ho! Was this picture taken near Guildford?

I´m asking because back in 1985 I found a pair of Scammell Explorers just like this in a field next to my aunt´s house. Her neighbour bought three at an auction, and was restoring one at that time. Reportedly, the other two were to be used as spares. I remember I nicked a valve from a soggy carton in the back. . .

- Hanno

Hi 6x6 sorry have only just caught up with my cousin.

As far as he knows they were brought them and parked them down there for 14 years with no commercial use. If I find out any more I will let you know.:)

Thor, what was the background to this find ? It looks as though they had come straight from Ruddington and were then parked at the bottom of someone's garden. Did they have any sort of life in commercial recovery after leaving the military ?

YSY249-found.jpg

Scammell_Explorers-Dorking-1985-resized.jpg

Edited by mcspool