Scammell Explorer Gallery

They had no heater either or cab insulation and for some reason wrere about a ton lighter:D

Hmm..strangley I never bothered to think about that before, the coupling springs and brackets, the Neate brake assy, the heater, pipework and extra water, the inner cab skin and insulation, extra air tank and pipework, a few less valves in the braking system, must be a few other bits.. all adds up, makes em faster though.:-D.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Mike has it spot on. Big leaver with the ball on the end near the steering coloum is the hilll holder and the valve above the engine cover is the trailer brake. if your scammell has sprung towing hitches it is a first contract ( and in my opinion the best contract:cool2:)it will not have the hill hloder brake on the coloum. There is another valve on the bulkhead just above the accelerator pedal, This should be closed for normal use and only opened if the need arises to push a trailer with the ability to work the brakes ie down a bloomin big hill. If this valve is left open the trailer reaction valve above the engine cover will work all the brakes on the tractor. mine was in the open position when i got my explorer as i suppose people use it as a hill holder as the first contracts were not fitted with one, they were fitted with a transmission brake on the back of the gearbox, most trasmission brakes wee removed in service as huge expensive damage could be done by applying it on the move. mine however still has one:D hope this has confused you some more:nut:

Later contracts had the transmission brake deleted and the ability to operate trailer brakes through the front coupling heads deleted also. They were fitted with the hill holder brake however (namby pambys can't do a hill start with a hand throttle eh:cool2:) They had no heater either or cab insulation and for some reason wrere about a ton lighter:D

As I said I will stand corrected.......................however the Explorer I had did not have the lever under the steering wheel but did have the valve on the dash and it did apply all the brakes.

It was a very early example (I believe from the first batch) so was the arrangement changed later?

Yep they were changed later and could only recive air and signal air through the front couplings.leaving the changeover tap open on early oneslets the air through the system the wrong way and will put all the tractor brakes on with the trailer brake leaver. don't really know why they were changed, perhaps there was no need to push trailers with operating brakes. All down to cost i should think:D

Yep they were changed later and could only recive air and signal air through the front couplings.leaving the changeover tap open on early oneslets the air through the system the wrong way and will put all the tractor brakes on with the trailer brake leaver. don't really know why they were changed, perhaps there was no need to push trailers with operating brakes. All down to cost i should think:D

Thanks for that..................pleased that my memory is not playing up :nut::nut:

I'm still confused as to why mine has the single skin non insulated cab but does have the heater assembly fitted. I can't seem to find a direct reference to it and wonder if the heater was a later fitment. It's fairly late (1955 Chassis 8004 contract 7443). It has the brake assembly in the middle of the cab for trailer braking and a hill holder.....:nut:

The propper heater is a square box to the left of the gear stick under the passenger seat. There should be nice neat copper piping up the back of the cab with a large tap to shut off the water circulation then the pipes should run to the roof where there shoud be a demister unit with air ducting to all the windows. The switches to operate both heaters are in the read of the cab and there should be a fresh aie intake in the rear wall for the demister. but having writen all this you have probrobly looked in the book and seen the pictures:-D

''Lever on the dash is a trailer brake valve, so that when descending hills, you can brake the trailer, without braking the Explorer. This holds everthing in line, and leaves you with a set of cool brakes, if the trailer brakes start to overheat and fade.

The winch only powers in at one speed. It cannot be paid out.

You have to lift the drum dog clutch clear and pull the cable off the drum by hand (well many hands actually), or if you can do it reverse up to the casualty, attach the winchrope, drive forward pulling cable off the free drum, then when in your chosen winching spot, engage the winch to pull the casualty out of trouble. ''

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't looked back through the gallery, so I'm not sure if my latest rusty 3D jigsaw puzzle has featured. I believe it has never been registered since leaving military service, as it was always used with trade plates. The chassis plate is missing, but the no. is clearly stamped, and I believe it's from 1951. Chassis no. 7364, and army no. 01 BD 97.

Hopefully (and in my dreams!) she'll be back on the road next year in time for her 60th birthday!

Jules

DSC00060.jpg

Edited by julezee001
Found more details!

It's a Leyland 680, which seems to have had most of the work done to fit it, just water pipes left to connect, and all the wiring to sort. It was all nicely painted silver with the sump left plain aluminium, but the rust is coming through the paint.

The tyres are the right size, just a different pattern. I now need to try to get together another matching set? The only large (ish) part missing is the front tow hitch, and pins, which I did have with my old spare Explorer, but was removed along with the radiator, gearbox, and rear hitch by another Explorer owner when I wasn't looking!

Jules

Looks like all the hard work's been done already Jules, and with those tyres you'll be gang mowing the cricket pitch in no time!..:D

That's what I thought when I bought my other one off John Davis... 9 years on it's still not quite finished (are they ever?). I hope to buy a gang mower that will cut my field in one pass towed behind her, it'll save hours of running round and round with the David Brown!

Jules

• 4 weeks later...

Have just read through the whole thread, all 152 posts, and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

While on MOD work in the late 1990's, we took a picture (35mm film) of a Scammel at the garage in Kyle of Lochalsh, down by the old ferry quay.

Not sure what it was, looked like an Explorer, has anyone got any information on its current whereabouts?

The picture will be around in our family archives, so can dig it out given a day or so if it is of any interest.

Our boys are into Landies, and I'm a bit old now for the larger stuff, but was a diesel-electic fitter on trucks and mobile generators for many years, just play with big engines now :D

Peter

Have just read through the whole thread, all 152 posts, and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

While on MOD work in the late 1990's, we took a picture (35mm film) of a Scammel at the garage in Kyle of Lochalsh, down by the old ferry quay.

Not sure what it was, looked like an Explorer, has anyone got any information on its current whereabouts?

The picture will be around in our family archives, so can dig it out given a day or so if it is of any interest.

Our boys are into Landies, and I'm a bit old now for the larger stuff, but was a diesel-electic fitter on trucks and mobile generators for many years, just play with big engines now :D

Peter

Hi Peter , Is this the Garage you refer to ! Look forward to seeing your photo ? Your never too old to get a Scammell by the way mate ! http://www.angelfire.com/ky/KyleAFC/photo.html

Hi Peter , Is this the Garage you refer to ! Look forward to seeing your photo ? Your never too old to get a Scammell by the way mate ! http://www.angelfire.com/ky/KyleAFC/photo.html

Might be, but it is not that colour in the pictures, I'm pretty sure.

I'll root out the pictures, might be slide film, but either way I can scan them.

Peter

Was the heavy horses Explorer "sir winston" still running with no rear propshaft or is it sorted now. And its good to see Julian has started to reskin the cab on jumbo. I must make the effort and get down next year:blush:

Hi Rob , I had a look under "Sir Winston as I remembered you mentioned the lack of prop and all is reconnected !:D I think he needs all the traction he can get with that beautifull living wagon on the back , its huge !:nut: