432,s in the film,I Am Legend

Lord Burley

I went and see this last night.The film is based around the Will Smith character Lt Col Robert Neville.Being the last man alive in New York.Its a bit like 28 days later and the Omega man with Charlton Heston.In the opening sequences the Smith character is driving a 500 GT Mustang when he approches a deserted military check point.In amongst the normal fair of Reo,s and Hummers are two or three 432,s with the Scimitar turret.I thought that there was only about eleven of these made?.So i thought it was a bit unusual to see three in a film?.

Mark,

There were no 432s with Scimitar turrets made, they are Fox turrets which are a different shape, easy mistake to make though. There were actually quite a few made, but I do not know exact numbers. A while ago while I was visiting British Military Vehicles, Bob Grundy had managed to find a new upgrade kit, which had never been fitted. He was installing it on a Mk 1 432 for an American client. I think there are quite a few turreted 432s in the USA.

Chris

Mark,

There were no 432s with Scimitar turrets made, they are Fox turrets which are a different shape, easy mistake to make though. There were actually quite a few made, but I do not know exact numbers. A while ago while I was visiting British Military Vehicles, Bob Grundy had managed to find a new upgrade kit, which had never been fitted. He was installing it on a Mk 1 432 for an American client. I think there are quite a few turreted 432s in the USA.

Chris

What are the differences between the two turrets?.You get quite a good shot of the side of one of the 432,s as the mustang takes a corner.The camera pans away from the car to linger on the side of the 432.

Chris is right about there being quite a few turreted 432,s.

Other than the development they were supplied as kits for the units to fit themselves.The procedure is covered in EMER,Tacked Vehicles E105/2,Installation No.8.

These soon proved to be very unpopular and unsuitable for the role intended and were soon removed from the vehicles and returned to wherever.

A number survived in the Berlin Brigade and I believe there were some at Warminster.

What remained of the vehicles/kits went through Withams a while back but I didn,t see any complete vehicle instalations.

Although using the Fox turret the turret basket was totally different,although looking quite basic it was quite a work of art.

I,ve managed to aquire just about everything to complete my vehicle,the only thing missing being the flat hatch which replaced the original commanders cupola which I,ll more than likely end up making,that is unless anyone out there has one.

Although up and running there is quite a bit still to do but we,ll get there one day.

Here hopefully is a pic or two of my vehicle.

That was one of the down sides,it added 1917kg(4220lb)to the top of the vehicle without the ammo etc :shake:.There was also an expectation that it could carry some troops :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apart from that I still think it looks the part though :-D

When I move it next :whistle: I,ll take some pics of the interior to show the set up.

Tony

,can,t bring the 434 & 432/30mm rarden :dunno:,which would you rather practice your map reading in. :rofl:

They both need a bit of work,pack changes and service :rtfm: etc.It,ll be more functional than restored :whistle:but there again the Army manages like that a lot :what:

Cheers

Dave P

From a gunner/commanders point of view they must have been excellent for training,acres of room compared to a CVRT.

Tony,I can feel the shift of blame for the navigational errors being moved to my 'Norman Collier' communications system! :redfaced:I'll try and iron out all the gremlins :evil: before the Plain Invasion

Dave P :-D

yES, TONS OF ROOM, THERE WAS 6 PERS PER CREW, WE BOMBED UP FIRST THING THEN ROTATED THROUGHT THE VEH, FIRST AS GUNNER THEN MOVING ACROSS TO TAKE OUR PLACE AS COMMANDER. THE HANDY THING WAS THOSE NOT FIRING COULD JUST SIT IN THE BACK WITH THE REAR DOOR OPEN.

BAZ.

Dave how could you think such a thing, A man with my up bringing, passing the buck :whistle: :whistle:.

Out of curiosity, How many different marks of FV430s are there in private hands at present. This has given me an idea for a get together at some point. I know there are plenty of 432 ACPs, 434 RVs but what about the Swingfire, cyberline and Mortar variants.

Just a thought.

Tony