HQsignals

ML restoration

Posted (edited)

Since I'm starting to take on my James ML's restoration, I decided to make a topic to share the progress with you guys.

It will be the very first restoration for me, so I'm still learning along the way.

As I picked it up:

ml11.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the topic.

Kind regards,

Bjorn

Edited by HQsignals

After disassembling the ML, I started by sandblasting the parts.

Main focus was getting the bare frame together.

Added a 2K primer and top coat. Still need to paint some bolts & nuts.

15wghuf.jpg

GREAT project ..looking forward to more. Just wondered why paint the nuts and bolts? They would probably not be painted when new but cadmium/dull chrome finished.

GREAT project ..looking forward to more. Just wondered why paint the nuts and bolts? They would probably not be painted when new but cadmium/dull chrome finished.

Hi Andy,

I still need to sort out the nuts & bolts. As I don't have a lot of time to work on the ML I figured the bolts & nuts would be easy to replace in a later stage.

Since Andy queried the nuts and bolts, can I query.....Why the silver wheel? Ron

James_M.L_Airborne.jpg

Lightweights 294.jpg

Hi Ron,

I haven't overhauled the front wheel yet. Still bears color and tyre it came in.

It was just easier for moving the ML around.

n3125e.jpg

Regards,

Bjorn

Edited by HQsignals

Sorry Bjorn. I probably should have realised that if I'd referred back to your original post/picture.

I tried to get mine as correct (paint/plating) as I could.

Regards Ron

Interesting pic Ron, the knife the Para has looks like a Fairbairn & Sykes commando knife in a Ka-Bar sheath/scabbard.

I hadn't even noticed it Duke (Too busy looking at details of the bike). I had a complete original Para's uniform before I sold up my uniform collection. The Para trousers had a special thin pocket on the front to accept the Fairbairn Sykes dagger and its scabbard. Perhaps it wasn't very comfortable for this guy on a little bike and he's adopted his own idea? Ron

It has been a while since I saw a paratrousers, but perhaps the knife/scabbard would get in the back of your knee while riding in the position shown in the picture? Hence the alternative carrying method.

regards,

Bjorn