Who owned this tank?

Jack

Please pardon my ignorance but .....is Peter Gray still about with his M10?......

...I remember reading of his rescue of her in After The Battle Magazine back I would guess around the late 70s?.....

.....also..... there was another M10 in Pounds arond that time and she ended up local to me..

.a fella by the name of Mike Phelps (?) bought and restored her..

.now I think .....that particular M10 went back to either the US or Canada to a museum?......

..I stand happy to be corrected on that latter detail mind you!

ALSO!...

I also recall reading in AFTB about the sdame time-ish.... about the rescue of a Panther from a South London scrapyard........by a fella that at the time owned a private museum in London somewhere...

..Eddy something????

I think the Panther went to Germany to live but whatever happened to her after that????

anyone got any ideas ???????

Edited by RattlesnakeBob
added the bit about the Panther

Please pardon my ignorance but .....is Peter Gray still about with his M10?......

Bob,

Peter is still about and living in Normandy, but his M10 went to Tony Budge's collection, in late Eighties I would think. Have a feeling it has ended up in the US, something in my mind tells me the late Jacques Littlefield collection might have it.

The Panther was in Hardwicks scrapyard in Ewell, ended up in Germany and has been restored, know nothing more about that one.

Yes, Pounds to Peter to Budge to, I think, Alan Cors in Virginia.

Budges other M10, the 17 pdr, was from Oswald plant and is now at the Littlefield Collection.

Mike Phelps' M10 is also in the US.

The Panther was bought by Eddie Kenton and ended up with a Herr Flick. (I kid you not)

Yes, Pounds to Peter to Budge to, I think, Alan Cors in Virginia.

Budges other M10, the 17 pdr, was from Oswald plant and is now at the Littlefield Collection.

Mike Phelps' M10 is also in the US.

The Panther was bought by Eddie Kenton and ended up with a Herr Flick. (I kid you not)

I got busy with loads of other things in those days and never saw any follow up to the Panther..

.are there any photos of it about now?

PS: there was a very amusing postscript to the M10 Mike Phelps had...

the yard he worked in was on a small industrial estate and when he fired her up one day the clutches stuck in and before he could shut her off she went straight through the wall of the adjoining industrial unit belonging to a double glazing business demolishing the corner of the building and a fair part of the display units all set up inside.....it made all the local newsapapers back in the day........:-D

I got busy with loads of other things in those days and never saw any follow up to the Panther...are there any photos of it about now?PS: there was a very amusing postscript to the M10 Mike Phelps had...the yard he worked in was on a small industrial estate and when he fired her up one day the clutches stuck in and before he could shut her off she went straight through the wall of the adjoining industrial unit belonging to a double glazing business demolishing the corner of the building and a fair part of the display units all set up inside.....it made all the local newsapapers back in the day........:-D
Awesome !! LOL

Herr Flick has quite a collection of afvs. He's also extremely secretive (Maybe something to do with his family history?). There are no known recent photos of this tank.

This is one from http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=140923&start=255

herrflickp2.jpg

As found in scrapyard.

4dmgra8.jpg

The most recent one available for the hoi-polloi is on P-O's list.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panthers.pdf

• 8 years later...

Hi guys,

This is Raymond from the Netherlands. As of a few years I read After The Battle magazine. My aim  is to visit (and photograph) all the sites/objects  which are featured on the front cover of this magazine. Two months ago I read issue 25 which is about the M10 which belonged to Peter Gray. I read some comments that this tank was moved to the USA. Has anybody maybe have an update on exact whereabouts of this tank? Or somebody who I could contact?

Thanks

Raymond

Raymond,

I expect that you know that Peter Gray died some time ago and that Pounds yard has virtually been completely cleared. The M10 that Mike Phelps restored was for sale by pounds for £1800 pounds when I first saw it there. When I inquired about buying it the price went up to £2500 which I thought was high but agreed to pay it. When I rang them to agree a date for collection it had risen to £4000 so I told them that I couldn't do business that way and gave up. I believe that Mike paid quite a lot more eventually. 

Values have gone up a bit since those days !

David

Any idea guys who currently owns the M10 as described in After the Battle 25? It was an article which featured Peter Gray.

I did some research in the US with with Allan Cors but he doesn't own this particular tank but another A10.

See below his response.

Thanks for your inquiry about our M10 T.D. It did not come from Budge or Peter Gray. Our T.D. was purchased from a man in the UK named Phelps who rescued it from the bottom of the Pounds junk yard in Portsmouth. 

So, who should I contact. Anyone?

Regards

Raymond Bal

25.jpg