TAC T at Kemble

83KB62

I saw this at Kemble BoB this week-end, it's as good as it looks!!

The only road-worthy 1 left of only 15 built, they were made to give fire cover to Harrier Sqdn's on off airfield ops, they came apart to 3 modules, tank, pump and chassis and were then air lifted by Wessex to where-ever needed.

Switchable 6 wheel drive helped them on off road excursions, this one is immaculate and complete in every detail.

Certainly Best In Show in Military section for me!

Terry.

Kemble 2011 BoB 014.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 015.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 017.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 018.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 019.jpg

• Like 1

No, its not his, I'm not sure if I should put the owners name up, but it lives Worcestershire.

The present owner did sell another for restoration recently to a chap in Sheffield, it was in a really bad way though, and its now changed owners again.

The LUQA badge gives a clue to where it served.

By contrast the Range Rover (TAC C?), not very well up on the handles of mili Fire Engines) is fully operational and was part of the emergency team this week-end.

Kemble 2011 BoB 016.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 020.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 022.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 023.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 025.jpg

Kemble 2011 BoB 062.jpg

When I saw it at Welland in July the Land Rover was carrying a 27 AG 46 plate whilst the trailer had a 65 AW 26 plate. Would this be normal for the trailer to have its own registration?

Initially the TAC-T trailers ran with the vehicles reg as it was never envisaged they would be seperated in use. However on units such as the Germany Harrier Force trailers could be swapped to overcome shortfalls in the fleet. e.g. a trailer from one is off the road and a prime mover from another. If a trailer was simply swapped its maintenance etc history would be lost as it was recorded against the prime mover. The desicion was made to give trailers got their own reg numbers; this was after a few months in service.

TED

Initially the TAC-T trailers ran with the vehicles reg as it was never envisaged they would be seperated in use. However on units such as the Germany Harrier Force trailers could be swapped to overcome shortfalls in the fleet. e.g. a trailer from one is off the road and a prime mover from another. If a trailer was simply swapped its maintenance etc history would be lost as it was recorded against the prime mover. The desicion was made to give trailers got their own reg numbers; this was after a few months in service.

Thanks Ted

It "appears" they were delivered in Signal red, then to green as required. Although at least 2 RAF G stations went green in 71 the bulk of Strike command & RAF G didn't follow until 73-4. The TACT T was a 71 baby. The proto which did trials at, and then remained at Catterick ( then the RAF Fire school )was in red, I have a photo of it just after delivery. .

Edited by ted angus

• 1 year later...

Yes the TAC-T is (was) mine! Thanks for all the kind words on the restoration.

I've recently sold it to a good friend and it will be going to Germany. Not an easy decision but funds are needed for other projects - it is after all the restoration I love!

HI Paul

What shame its gone abroad :embarrassed: didn't seem to meet up with you much last season what with the weather etc etc, so whats the next project then ? I have just found a lovely 1939 Aero screen Bedford MW as my next adventure in restoration land though its going to be a long term project, more of a hobby than job like the Champ thing.

Good to see you on here, catch you soon

Jeremy.

Hi Jem!

I've been lurking on here a while but decided to make a couple of posts today!

Congratulations on the new project - its an illness this restoration business I reckon! Ian who you may know will be most jealous as he's been looking for an MW!

I'm still working on the ACRT which is in CMV every month at the moment and that needed some funds - apart from that I'm keeping my eye out for a follow on project - not sure what yet but probably RAF related!

Hope to see you soon,

Paul

Next project Paul......another Martian....another Pioneer ??:cool2:

No I won't be kicking the tyres or leaning over the carb feeding it petrol & waiting for the bang this time.:blush:

(Still bearing the emotional scars :cry:)

Resin MVs don't bite back;)

H

Ahh, I miss the Pioneer to be honest. I've tried to be all grown up in recent years (sort of) and stick to smaller more manageable MVs but the big stuff always has a certain appeal... We'll see.

No, no more pouring petrol into carbs and setting friends on fire. I don't have enough to be loosing them that way! What a day that was...

• 5 years later...