How Many Great War Vehicles Remaining???

bobs1918

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the image from Flickr I can only make out two banks of two cylinders. There is a few other points that I query.

Underneath the sump is a plate. This could be protection in a tough working site from larger rocks.

Noticeable on the chassis are the lengthy rear spring shackles and the rod supporting the axles and to stop it from twisting and rear ways movement.This mounts and attachment to the chassis makes me think of an American truck.

The mass of holes along the dash for instruments also points towards American.

On the rear wheels the seven spokes being thin fins appear unusual for an American truck, most tend to have round spokes.

The front wheels appear to have been altered with plates bolted as if to hold tyres in place.

The metal framing across the floor of the cab and supporting the firewall likes like that of a Brockway.

However in saying all of this some one will now come up with a definitive answer!

Doug:cheesy:

• 1 month later...

The restored Quad here. "Right we want you to tow a gun in to Les Invalides. There will be several thousand people and the President watching and the band will start playing when you drive through the gates, so dont be late, or break down" - so no pressure there then. "Where are the toilets please"?

The Kingsbury Quad here. it has a good turn of speed.

• 2 months later...

Surprised not to see this one yet - 1916 Thornycroft J type 3 ton Lorry at Milestones Museum, Basingstoke, photo taken a couple of weeks ago

m13.jpg

thorny.jpg

They also have a 1902 Thornycroft steam wagon - painted in civilian colours but identical to those ordered by the War Office

That one came out of a scrapyard in Warrington and was initially rebuilt by a potter in Runcorn. He had enough bits left over to do another one which was in military livery but which is now being slowly civilianised. I was fortunate to drive this one from Chiswick to Basingstoke for the Thornycroft centenary run and can report that whilst being a nice vehicle to drive, it did seem to have hexagonal brake drums making the use of the handbrake a bit fraught!

Steve

OK. Now we are on to Thornycrofts. This one is another remarkable survivor. It was built, I believe, in 1916. After the War, it was bought by Lowestoft Corporation for maintaining the tramway system and, when that closed, was donated/loaned the the East Anglia Transport Museum at Carlton Colville. It remains in a totally original condition in every respect except for the red paint and has the body that we will copy for ours. The hood bows were still in the back when I last saw it and we have fitted copies of them to the Dennis! For any Great War enthusiast, it is worth a visit and the rest of the museum is pretty good too!

Steve

The photo, by the way, belongs to the Museum as all of mine were taken in a dark shed.

thornycroft16a_ho2534_rh_.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello, i look after this loverly bus! 1921 leyland raf type! New to stoneham motor services eastliegh hampshire! Used to transport east europeans from the docks at southampton, to a hostel which is now southampton airport! The railway introduced a station for the hostel and it made the buses redundant! The engine and chassis were sold to ireland, and the bus body was used in a dorset campaite and had many uses and ended up doing various things such as acutally being a brothel! Found in a dorset saw mill and restored over 25 years by the current owner! Massive help from mr leyland mile sutcliffe who provided a chassis engine and lots of parts! We have a 1925 leyland sg11 under restoration now, we have a chassis and engine but not body this time! Im looking for a simillar lorry if anybody know of one! Pm me or post on here!

I dont think i knew about that one either. here is another recent one:

IMG_8239.jpg

What agood thread and brilliant pics, i wish i had the money and know how to preserve these pieces of history. keep the thread going fantastic .:D PS you should all feel proud of the work your doing,

Edited by shane.c

• 8 years later...
On 4/6/2012 at 10:11 PM, Robinmarshman said:

Hello, i look after this loverly bus! 1921 leyland raf type! New to stoneham motor services eastliegh hampshire! Used to transport east europeans from the docks at southampton, to a hostel which is now southampton airport! The railway introduced a station for the hostel and it made the buses redundant! The engine and chassis were sold to ireland, and the bus body was used in a dorset campaite and had many uses and ended up doing various things such as acutally being a brothel! Found in a dorset saw mill and restored over 25 years by the current owner! Massive help from mr leyland mile sutcliffe who provided a chassis engine and lots of parts! We have a 1925 leyland sg11 under restoration now, we have a chassis and engine but not body this time! Im looking for a simillar lorry if anybody know of one! Pm me or post on here!

That statement I believe to be interesting, I refer you to the publication "The book of The Stonehams" John Edgar Mann Halsgrove 2002

I have been studying the airport location for the past three years and looking for more about the company history before it ceased.

"Restored into original livery this Leyland was built for Stoneham Motors of Eastleigh, near Southampton, and was one of six used to transport Russian evacuees..."

"At its peak, in 1928, some 20,000 refugees had passed through the hostel. On the 30th October 1929 a wooden halt..."

"...decline in the number of refugees led to the closure of the hostel in 1931"

Edited by Gordon Dinnage
mispelling