How Many Great War Vehicles Remaining???

bobs1918

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching this thread with interest. It seems that there are quite a few WW1 trucks out there , so I thought I had better add mine.

Albion Chassis number 361A was laid down on the 6th December 1915. It was a 3 ton General Service truck, built to the Companies War Department specifications, for delivery in February 1916. After service in France and Belgium, it was returned to England in 1919 and sold through the disposals company C.H & L.O. Smith of Slough. It was purchased by the original manufacturer, Albion, and along with some other 930+ vehicles, rebuilt by the Company.

It is believed to have been sent to Australia as part of a repatriation thank-you package to the Australian people by the British Goverment in about 1922/23. Two Albions from that package were known to be at the H.M.A.S. Cerberus shore depot proir to WW11, and it is thought that my Albion is one of these. (A large ships winch was fitted at some stage as well).

I found it in 1972, burnt and half buried behind a sawmill in a Victorian country town. Some 5,000 hours went into the restoration.

Whilst it is normally on display at the Bandiana Military Museum, where I have it on semi-permanent display, the attached photos were taken this March 2011, at the Corowa Swim-In, the largest Military Vehicle gathering in the Southern Hemisphere.

Regards Rick.

Albion.jpg

IMG_4258a.JPG

IMG_4950a.jpg

IMG_5003a.jpg

IMG_5017a.jpg

Edited by lynx42 Rick Cove

I have been watching this thread with interest. It seems that there are quite a few WW1 trucks out there , so I thought I had better add mine.

Albion Chassis number 361A was laid down on the 6th December 1915. It was a 3 ton General Service truck, built to the Companies War Department specifications, for delivery in February 1916. After service in France and Belgium, it was returned to England in 1919 and sold through the disposals company C.H & L.O. Smith of Slough. It was purchased by the original manufacturer, Albion, and along with some other 930+ vehicles, rebuilt by the Company.

It is believed to have been sent to Australia as part of a repatriation thank-you package to the Australian people by the British Goverment in about 1922/23. Two Albions from that package were known to be at the H.M.A.S. Cerberus shore depot proir to WW11, and it is thought that my Albion is one of these. (A large ships winch was fitted at some stage as well).

I found it in 1972, burnt and half buried behind a sawmill in a Victorian country town. Some 5,000 hours went into the restoration.

Whilst it is normally on display at the Bandiana Military Museum, where I have it on semi-permanent display, the attached photos were taken this March 2011, at the Corowa Swim-In, the largest Military Vehicle gathering in the Southern Hemisphere.

Regards Rick.

:D NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emma & mike

Some time back there was a posting of a military museum in either Austria or Switzerland with an example of each item used. A search has failed to find the site concerned, but I do recall it having vast collections of horse drawn transport and another display area of motorized vehicles

Can any one provide me with a name or link to the site?

Doug:(

Don't we count Les Warren's (in civvy colours)? :undecided:

At the moment, I am counting vehicles presented as military of whatever provenance. We can expand to commercials of the period later. Of course then there are those which will be military but which are as yet unrestored such as our Thornycroft. If we include all of these, we reach the best part of 100 vehicles in the UK. Let's stick to Military for the time being!

Steve

Leyland

1. New Zealand. 1916 Leyland under rebuild. Chassis number is within a War Dept batch.

2. Australian War Museum. Rebuilt for the period of time. Parts off a number of different vehicles have been used in assembling this up. A number of different brass plates and serial numbers some of which are War Dept batches.

3. Mechanical workshop box. IWM Duxford. Originally off a Leyland?

Leyland Au war mus1alt eml.jpg

ww1 RFC workshop Duxford.jpg

Leyland alt  email1.jpg

That has to be the most amazing Great War survivor of all! An entirely original mobile X-ray unit in Turkey of all places. I wonder how it got there and does it still have its X-ray equipment installed? Something for my 'Things to See' list!

Steve :wow::wow::wow:

ok

seems we are skipping about rather than doing one vehicle at a time.

Here are three of the four model 1918 Dodge Light Repair Trucks left from the 1012 made for US Army contract

1 is in my collection www.globalarray.net/user/bobspics/mydblrt.JPG

1 is at the Pennsylvania Military Museum www.globalarray.net/user/bobspics/pmmdblrt.JPG

1 is at Fort MacArthur in California www.globalarray.net/user/bobspics/1918dblrt.jpg

There is a 4th unrestored example in private hands.

The California and Pennsylvania examples show some post war modifications.

Edited by bobs1918

The A10 Albion in the Turkey museum is interesting as the timber framing for the box body is external.

Just to see such an original vehicle ( assuming totally original )puts a differing perspective on the interest. So much of our knowledge is based on items about us or readily seen, then these items " off the beaten track" appear.

Doug:wow:

• 2 weeks later...