The practice of naming tanks etc.

Rick W

I was thinking the other day while fighting with a battery compartment lid on the Ferret, when the practice of naming tanks stopped, or if it did? Quite often you see pics of WW2 armour with a name given by the crew on the side of the hull, but Ive never seen any examples of post WW2 armour with names on. Was this a practice outlawed by the army?

I was thinking the other day while fighting with a battery compartment lid on the Ferret, when the practice of naming tanks stopped, or if it did? Quite often you see pics of WW2 armour with a name given by the crew on the side of the hull, but Ive never seen any examples of post WW2 armour with names on. Was this a practice outlawed by the army?

I think you will find that post-war armour do still have names on them, usauly the first letter on the name is the squadion it is in Ie, Duke = D squadion in my old mob the ferrets were name after battles houners.

Al

There was an internet crazy a few years ago.. 2005/06 time if memory serves. It was an animation of a character called Magical Trevor..

"Everyone loves Magical Trevor,

Cos the tricks that he does are ever so clever.

Look at him now disappearing the cow!"

Wonder if it provided the inspiration!

All our tanks had names in the 80's in the regiment.A sqn had names beginning with A and B sqn B and so on.They were never stenciled on though.A big list was kept in RHQ of the names.In the latter days of the 80's it became fashionable the stencil them on again.

holte999

I wonder what the best names were/are and why ? I would be good to hear about them.

That's like how long is a piece of string- Historically British Army naming of tanks and AFVs goes back to almost the beginning of tanks in service. Names often were specific to Battalions or regiments, Some like 4th RTR began with "D" and that ran from WW1 to the end of 4 RTR on amalgomation. Same applied to other RTR battalions for example 9 Btn RTR used names beginning with "I". Other Regiments use names with traditions relevant to their battle honours, racehorses, birds, animals, constilations, towns/cities even famous warships.

Some regiments/battalions used naming schemes that divided names by squadron -so simplistically names beginning with A for A squadron B for B squadron and C for C squadron -for example 14th Canadian Tank named their tanks thus- so Amos A squadron- Betty B sqdn and Cheetah C sqdn -but Regimental HQ used R- so Ringer Regiment etc.

All can be useful when attempting to I.D. a regiment from a photo although some regiments used the same system on the same tank types -for example Bunty is B sqdn 11 Canadian Tank rather than 14 Canadian Tank -both were using early Churchills so unless you can spot the unit code -for example 175 -for 14th CTB I.D. is a problem.

It is very complex -so much so there should be a book about it -there is B.T. Whites British Tank Markings and Names -if you can find a copy.

As for naming humour -one battalion named their tanks for heavenly bodies (constelations not good looking women) -one wit petitioned the CO to have the names Castor and Policks included in the naming scheme - working on the idea that Policks would lead to some ammusement on the radio net. I remember a broadcast of 2 way family favourites -in the early 1960s a trooper in Cyprus asked for a mention home -and that he had named his Ferret "mavis" after his mum -only to have the radio presenter ask what's a Ferret?

As for naming humour -one battalion named their tanks for heavenly bodies (constelations not good looking women) -one wit petitioned the CO to have the names Castor and Policks included in the naming scheme - working on the idea that Policks would lead to some ammusement on the radio net.

Surely the Gemini twins were Castor and Pollux?

All the BARV's where named after Rivers, Clyde, Tyne being 2 that I know of. not sure about the others though. Mine saddly is called "Clyde", would have been happier if it was the "Tyne". :-)

Edited by agripper

Surely the Gemini twins were Castor and Pollux?

Unless your name is MacAuslan (GMF's dirtiest soldier in the world).

They find themselves going out on a night exercise in the desert and it all goes horribly wrong ... until MacAuslan announces that those two stars up there are Gasper and Bollux. turns out that he has been listening to the padre rambling on about the night sky and some of it has stuck. Surprise, surprise, MacAuslan saves the day.

Between 1976 and 1982 I only ever saw one 15/19H vehicle bearing a name, A Squadron's Saracen ACV in Tidworth (76-77) bore the name GARFORTH VC for Cherles Ernest Garforth, 15H:

http://www.nottinghamshire-victoria-cross-memorial.org.uk/Garforth.html

I understand that in the mid-80s the practice of naming vehicles became fashionable (maybe because 15/19H were by now on tanks not CVR(T) and in UKLF not BAOR, where the colour scheme was decidedly minimalist due to the ongoing Cold War).