buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

the tanks were due to be auctioned off back in 2007 when they were recovered, I remember you had to have 100k euro to be a bidder but then it all went quiet and nobody has heard much since, I think somebody has been selling them off on the quiet and getting very rich in the process ;)

The JpIV has, as far as I'm aware, vanished. I don't know if it was a prezzy!

Some arrests were made over the thefts.

Bulgaria had a bunch of Panthers too, some of those were emplaced on their border with Turkey. Nothing's been heard of them.

wasn't that first panzer that got swiped and went to Germany a personal gift from Adolph to the queen of bulgaria or something like that. they got away with it too but got lifted when they went back for another :embarrassed:

They mention that on the website a few times

Bulgaria had a bunch of Panthers too, some of those were emplaced on their border with Turkey. Nothing's been heard of them.

As in whether they're still there or not, or as in they've gone but no-one knows where?

In a similar vein, what's the situation with the Syrian emplaced PzIVs given the current ... uncertainties?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been busy over xmas looking for the elusive "other" tank up on stainburn moor but with no joy although I did bump into a woman walking her dog who has come across it 30 years ago but can't remember where :-X

however it's not all bad news as I found an A9 cruiser wreck on a disused range and although it is smashed I will recover it if possible and see if I can't put it back together or find somebody else enthusiastic enough to take it on !WP_20150107_12_19_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_23_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_22_11_Pro.jpg

I reckon you're right there bob, however it has 2 things going for it, first off it uses valentine suspension and final drives which are readily available and secondly it's made from 12mm flat plate on an angle iron frame. all you need is a riveter and a pair of rose tinted glasses :D

Great find Rick, I bet you couldn't remove the smile from your face for ages :) Be sure to use a metal detector in the surrounding area, there could be lots of hard to find parts that were thrown off and landed nearby, ground looks quite soft. Was this rare British armor previously unknown?

a9.jpg

Edited by ajmac

bob I was hoping it would be an A10 as it's easier to fabricate the front without the turrets but I have only found the 12mm armour plate. I might be wrong and until I see the front armour I can't tell, there's a fair amount of it hidden in the pool of water, if I get the go ahead I will hire a 5.5 ton digger and pull it out and dredge the pool. once it's back in the yard I will try and find someone or preferably a group of people to take it on, maybe the desert re enactors or such like. there's bound to be someone daft enough :D

WP_20150107_12_20_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_23_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_21_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_21_05_Pro.jpg

I heard of another cruiser wreck yesterday from a member of TOG (as I like to call them) sitting on the range at pirbright, bloody cruisers will be everywhere soon :D

couple more pics of the one I found. like alastair said earlier there will be plenty of parts scattered around just under the surface

rick

WP_20150107_12_22_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_20_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20150107_12_20_43_Pro.jpg