Found Pictures of the Salamander

chambers101

I think it is still there. Got loads more pics of it. I think you can just see a glimpse of it through the hedge on google streetview. It would have been sitting there for around 6 or 7 years now. Proberbly still has the Stalwart wheels and tyres on it.

Yes I've just found it on streetview. The pics were took during the summer time by the look of it so the hedges would have been in full bloom, just a shame it isn't winter as you would probably have got a better view!

Well at least it looks like its still around then. If you could post some more pics up of it that would be great.

Only 152 built, RAF service so MV background so how many are left?

Not many I don't think. But as this picture proves you never know as vehicles can turn up anywhere.

This one is part of the Manston Fire Museum collection.

IMG_1041.jpg

I knew I had some more pictures of Salamander's somewhere. Took this one at RAF Cosford a few years ago, before the Cold War hanger had been built! There had been a show on the week before and this had been left there so they had fenced it off.

DSCF0742.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I knew I had some more pictures of Salamander's somewhere. Took this one at RAF Cosford a few years ago, before the Cold War hanger had been built! There had been a show on the week before and this had been left there so they had fenced it off.

What a fantastic looking truck. Any idea on how many were made/survive???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just stumbled across this thread, the salamander is/was a nice looking truck.

I remember there used to be one at the newark air museum, not sure if its still there, it was probably 15 odd years ago that i saw it.

Its a shame to see the old girls like that, but great pictures anyway mike.

Cheers

Shaun

• 11 months later...

A friend of mine owns the Salamander based Runway Surface Friction Test Vehicle. This was built without the centre axle, and has an aircraft wheel connected to a dynamometer which can be lowered to measure the friction of the runway surface. This is the only one built (unless anyone knows any different) and could be for sale.

After years of speculation as to what happened to the RCAF Salamanders, I have tonight been informed by an impeccable source that one survives, complete, in a dry heated wharehouse in an obscure backwater location near to me.

I have been given an introduction and plan to photograph and document it, sometime this winter hopefully.

More when I have done the deed.

R

After years of speculation as to what happened to the RCAF Salamanders, I have tonight been informed by an impeccable source that one survives, complete, in a dry heated wharehouse in an obscure backwater location near to me.

I have been given an introduction and plan to photograph and document it, sometime this winter hopefully.

More when I have done the deed.

R

Nice one Rob , looking forward to seeing the photos !:-D