101 info sought

antarmike

Question

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Mike,

Putting the return edge on the plate as per parts diagram picture would necessitate enlarging the plate 3/8-1/2inch or so. That would then interfere with the removal of the front grill from it's clip. Probably why non of the ones I've seen match the parts book.

Finally sat on the right tyre size. Step rings yet to go on but am I happy that she is off those ridiculous Supacat tyres.

101012.jpg

101022.jpg

Above, Cat inspects new Terminator.

101023.jpg

This is what facinates him, my new Crosby Terminator,

Reckon that is an easy way to finish the cable, and still allow very easy reversal of front/rear winching. For ease of switching Bulldog grip can be left off. I have it on as an Anti-theft device, (well it might put off someone if they have to use a spanner)

Edited by antarmike

Seeing as this seems to be the nearest thing to a 101 thread im going to put a couple up.

Here are two pics taken a few years apart but with a couple of subtle differences that really makes the vehicle pop if you ask me.

Bear in mind I did not do the original paint job and dont get me started on it!

We have recently fitted the front pintle hitch as it makes it easier to tie it down on our float trailer.

The vinyl decal is the cheapest and easiest way of making the plates front and rear. Real plates from the UK would be the next upgrade.

Lastly a picture of our ambulance that may be on the way to a new home next week.

Rgds

Robin

vaious 170.jpg

aaavarious 012.jpg

Union Jack Pictures 002.jpg

What does the 101 club charge you as a member to trace the vehicle's history? IRRC GBP £17 - but see below

Is there a limit to how many they will do that you own? No - but in fact to get the discounted rate they can only do them when they have 5 or more requests at the same time, so you may have to wait until they have 5 before they can start the process

Will they do non Land Rover vehicles as well? depends - this service is only available to paid up members of the club but I don't know if Les will accept non LR requests (can't see why not though)

Do they provide paperwork supporting their findings? you get a copy of whatever they get

R

See above, however if your vehicle is ex RAF, then the records are held by Hendon who provide a copy for free. Deepcut (RLC Museum) charge for army records as they are not so well funded as the Hendon museum.

Edited by john fox

RAF ambulances had distinct diffrences from Army ones. The most noticable would be a permenat slave heater and battrey charge. The vehicles were kept ready for hot start.

Having seen the new Pinzagouer Crash vehicle. Well , the por old 101 was well past the sell by date. The new one is kitted out to make any NHS hospital critical ward sick!

Parts book seems to show a steel plate stiffener ( Front Spreader Plate 582492) that is sandwiched between guide bush and bumper, and then two narrow stiffeners on the inside ( Vertical spreader, inner/ Outer 598672 / 598673).

Looking at photographs, I cannot see the external stiffening plate (582492) on other Nokken 101's

stiffener.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

Mike,

Putting the return edge on the plate as per parts diagram picture would necessitate enlarging the plate 3/8-1/2inch or so. That would then interfere with the removal of the front grill from it's clip. Probably why non of the ones I've seen match the parts book.

Flat plate it is then|

101025.jpg

101024.jpg

101026.jpg

I thought I would try and see if the stiffener would work with a return edge, as per diagram in Parts catalogue, and yes it does fit, and the grill still opens past it, and closes into the clips without problems.

Edited by antarmike

They were added when the truck was bodied as a Rapier tractor, by the time they were converted they had become a legal requirement. You'll find your infra-red system was removed at the same time.

Yes Infra red has gone, but I don't Understand the wiring yet. The Infra red relay is still in place, with live wires apparently connected. The switch on the dash is now a blanking plug.

The wires on the IR relay are doing nothing, the brown/pink goes to the 6 way switch and the pair of browns are permanantly live (and unfused!) and come from fuse box and go to where the switch was. Behind where the switch was you'll see two blue wires connected and possibly some unused ones, they just removed the switch and joined the wires (something any sensible owner would do anyway as the switch lets all the smoke out if you play with it!)

Just been working on an 82ish 109FFR which doesn't have IR, no relay but the wiring loom is still the same with a bundle of redundant wires floating around behind the aux panel!

I've attached the 101 colour wiring diagram if you don't already have one (it doesn't show the fog light circuit though).

This site has some brilliant colour circuits which, although Lightweight specific, are relavant to any military series 2A/3Land Rover as wiring colours, relays etc are standard. http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/LRL%20K.html

101 Wiring diag.pdf

The wires on the IR relay are doing nothing, the brown/pink goes to the 6 way switch and the pair of browns are permanantly live (and unfused!) and come from fuse box and go to where the switch was. Behind where the switch was you'll see two blue wires connected and possibly some unused ones, they just removed the switch and joined the wires (something any sensible owner would do anyway as the switch lets all the smoke out if you play with it!)

Just been working on an 82ish 109FFR which doesn't have IR, no relay but the wiring loom is still the same with a bundle of redundant wires floating around behind the aux panel!

I've attached the 101 colour wiring diagram if you don't already have one (it doesn't show the fog light circuit though).

This site has some brilliant colour circuits which, although Lightweight specific, are relavant to any military series 2A/3Land Rover as wiring colours, relays etc are standard. http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/LRL%20K.html

That looks like it started out as the driver's handbook wiring Diagram, which I have.

My current problem is the indicators/ hazzards are totally spasmodic. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont (I suspect a faulty flasher unit, since if you turn them on and they don't work, but just walk away from the vehicle, after a few minutes they might start flashing.) I don't know whther it is hot wire technology or what inside the flasher. I am endevouring to find anothe unit, before I pull all the wiring apart!

Yes it did, got fed up with looking up wire codes and the numbered items!

It's common for the flasher unit to go especially if it's been mounted upside down and it fills with water.

Check the hazard switch for dirty teminals first by pulling the two halves apart. If it is flasher unit, they are a Hella 6 pin unit, think there's a 12V on ebay at the mo, if you need 24V, I can lay my hands on one here. Alternatively, fit a standard 5 pin flasher can, it's what I did to that FFR by making up a set of fly leads to the plug. and connecting the LGK and LGG wires together on the 30b terminal, the rest of the terminals are the same as the 6pin. The hazard diagram on the Lightweight site expalins it very well.