Loyd Carrier

Let me work it back....err...that machine hasn't moved an inch since I was two years old! From the conversations we have had I can't see it moving an inch until I am at least collecting my pension:embarrassed: I presume he might sell if he had a crazy offer, but I am not in a position to make one, if I can borrow parts to complete mine that's fine by me.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

Work progresses slowly, as you can see below the original sprockets were rather worn, sitting under one of those from the range wreck is a NOS sprocket lent to me by a fellow HMVF chap, the close up is out of focus, but it still serves a purpose. A friend and I will be drawing the N OS up in CAD over the next couple of weeks, work load permitting and seeing if Plasma or water jet cutting gives us the best result with the least finishing off work.

Those Belgians really knew how to drive a vehicle to destruction:-D However some of the degredation is due to 40 years of corrosion!

SprocketJP.jpg

SprocketClose.jpg

If NOS track were available I would gladly use it, I am going to have to use the best that I can locate, it can be quite expensive so unless a good deal comes along it will be one of the last things I sort out. AFAIK no one has tooled up for new carrier track yet, I priced up manufacturing a full Loyd set and it came to nearly £4000 and that was not taking the pattern costs into account!

With the milage that a restored vehicle will do, I am not that worried about wear.

As you can see those worn sprockets have very little in the way of teeth left, I would have thought jumping teeth and thrown tracks would result, also the sprockets are only surface hardened, either carborised or flame hardened. Once they are as worn as mine they are probably down to the softer core with little or no hardened material remaining.

Now then Rick, I think that lab of yours must be well trained in sniffing out certain droppings...in lincolnshire...the otherside of the country, nearly new wheels and track, full set, lucky bas?ard!

Edited by ajmac

I priced up manufacturing a full Loyd set and it came to nearly £4000 and that was not taking the pattern costs into account!.

Lloyd owners don't know how easy you have it:D try pricing having Cletrac tracks made:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the CAD drawing of the drive sprocket today, I had not used AutoCAD before, but it is like other drafting programs and easy to get the hang of. The file will be off to the plasma cutters over the next few weeks to get a mild steel sample made for marking up. The attached file is just a screen capture to give a rough idea. A chap at work (thanks Richard) suggested tracing the tooth profile with pencil and paper, scanning it and importing it into CAD to use as a template, it was only the starting point but it helped get the correct profile of one side of a tooth which was them mirrored to make sure everything was symetrical. Also took the opportunity to put together a pattern for the four forward hood stick mounts, it has the fillets sanded now and just the top still to finish. A full crate of parts are at the acid cleaners as I type and if all goes well Dad should be collecting them next week, oh, had the flathead V8 paint matched on Tuesday in two pack.

Managed a look at the chassis over the weekend while visiting Dad, it is nearly ready and should be back up in Lincoln and ready for blasting at the end of June.

Sprocket_Loyd_Machining.jpg

FwdHoodBracketPtn.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Right, back on track, the chassis came home this weekend (much quicker than expected), I slid in the drivers floor and front lower hullplate to check for fit and they both fitted very well, about 2mm spare on the width, so my measuring of the twisted original must have been spot on:) You can see in the bottom photo how the floor plate pressing (mentioned ages ago) comes into play with the front x-member.

The gussets for the rear trailing axle supports are twisted so I need to get them pressed flat before I can refit the arms, the front axle brackets are also twisted and as they are 1/2" thick I am not too sure how to go about that task....

ChassisRebuild2.jpg

ChassisRebuild1.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 4 weeks later...

On with the gearbox at the moment, all the remaining parts are back from the acid cleaning and have been primed, the box is quit a mix with the case and gear set from a british 1944 unit, the selector plate is a spare a friend had knocking around, the side plate, fill and drain plugs are from the Loyd range target as is the clutch shaft and rear bearing retainer! The Loyd had the standard 7v gearbox top cover and gear lever, but sawn off to a 6" stub with a slot for the remote gear lever connecting shaft. Trouble is the stick that I have must not be from a 7v as it has a bend lower than 6", thus I need to straighten it before I can complete the top plate and close up the box, oh, Side plate from the wreck has some shrapnel damage to weld too.

It can be difficult to get the PC to upload photos in this house, but I have managed to grab it while no one was looking!

The Gearbox parts that came back from the strippers were degreased and primed a week or so ago, sadly this batch had been oil sprayed and then had some crack detector developer over spay while my dad was looking after them, so they needed more work before being ready to paint. After measuring a Loyd gear lever, which is a 7V item cut down and slotted I realised that mine needed a kink removing so it has been given to a friend to do, should be back end of next week, then I can button up the box.

I dug out the propshaft from the range wreck, which as you can see was well kept in its greasy tube, you can only see the UJ on the torque tube end, but the other one is fine too, both will be used as it. The only problem is the Gearbox end adaptor which has been bent as it held the entire weight of the engine and box for many years while the Loyd was upside down with the engine and box mounts broken. If anyone knows where to get one, let me know, at the moment I am hoping that it will be ok as it is only bent at the end, further in it is still parallel.

GBox_adaptor.jpg

GBox_BellH.jpg

GBox_top_primed.jpg

Propshaft_from_wreck.jpg

Edited by ajmac

The rear gearbox support of which I have two has a rubber ring that is sandwiched between the gearbox casing and the rear bearing retaining plate. Sadly one plate had a shot rubber and reasonable mounting plate and the other had a good rubber and a chopped plate so I need to repair the ok plate first then refit the rubber ring, will try to do that this weekend as the welder is now over at the farm for chassis hole plugging work. If anyone as a NOS items I'll happily throw this one away;)

Box_mount.jpg

Edited by ajmac

got any pics for us to have a butchers at, i'd quite like to see the acid dipped parts.

cheers

rick

I'll post a pic later, I'm sure I took a photo of the whole batch... thanks for the link Niels.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

The chassis is coming along although I have no photos, I have just been diving into the work and putting the MIG welder through more work than it has ever known! However this post has little to do with the chassis, as on the drive into the farm buildings I always pass the bonfire pile, it builds up then is burnt down every few months....during last week I popped into the farm to complete the left hand chassis rail and passed an old trailer on top of the bonfire pile, the axle looked familiar and it turned out to be a wartime ford truck axle of the type fitted to loyd carriers! I took 12 hours to contact the farmer to ask what he was doing with it only to find that over night he had lit the fire and burnt off the tyres so that he could weigh it in at the scrap yard this week! I don't need to tell you that once pointed out he allowed me to take the axle before he scraps the trailer :-) (he is a very nice chap, but I think he reckons I am mad) The fire wasn't too fierce as the aluminium brake adjusters are fine and the diff still has OD paint on it.... and a diff and halfshafts inside.

Apparently the trailer has been sitting in a farm hedge for 15 years and was only removed to scrap as he was worrying about it attracting travellers to pinch it!

When I took these two photos the trailer had been moved off to the side of the track on it's bare rims, I popped a halfshaft and the diff still turns the input shaft on the torque tube, lucky me.

08072011193.jpg

08072011194.jpg

Edited by ajmac