OK Guy's help me identify it ?

Ghostrider

I am about to start the restore part of this project and need a little help zeroing in on the exact date of this little bike. The frame number is ML22805 and I have just about every part of the bike except the footpegs, kickstand and tool container. So about year is it and what do you about this model bike Thanks

DSCI0258.jpg

I am about to start the restore part of this project and need a little help zeroing in on the exact date of this little bike. The frame number is ML22805 and I have just about every part of the bike except the footpegs, kickstand and tool container. So about year is it and what do you about this model bike Thanks

A James ML 125cc. The frame number is much too high to have been in the wartime military contracts, according to British Forces Motorcycles book, they show that production in wartime barely reached five figures. So difficult to date, unless it was a machine sold on the civilian market postwar, ie late 1940's.

I would put the frame N° 22805 around 1947, but you really need to check whether it's been mucked around with - it wouldn't be the first time. As for the bike, the biggest problem with it is that the Villiers 9D engine has been replaced with one off an NSU Fox - that's a first for me.

Stefano thats the thing that kept throwing me because everything that I could find identified the frame as a Jame's frame which should have had a Viller's engine but the motor is indeed a NSU Fox motor and just didn't seem to belong with the frame. The motor is a good little motor ( is complete, turns over free and even has compression but just don't belong in this picture. LOL). So I guess my search for a Viller's 9D is about to begin. All of the numbers are perfect and made with the same stamp so they do not look to altered in any way. I guess this would be a post-war bike and used for civilian purposes but why would it have the ML stamp (I will be restoring it either way because of my love for old bikes) but is there any value to this bike and how could I find out more history on it. Thanks for all of the help already given and I have to say that I found a site that I really feel I am going to love (Great site, great people and lots of help).

Ghostrider,

Here's a pic of a '47, hope it helps. James kept the ML prefix postwar even though the bike was built for the civilian market. It would have been painted burgandy with silver tank panels, lined gold. You can find transfers from the Vintage motorcycle club transfer service, and as regards spares, try Heritage Motor Works: http://www.heritage-gb.org.uk/ for cycle parts and villiers services for mechanical bits.

I've been reliably told that ML's are enjoyable little things, I suppose I'll find out when I finish mine (ha ha).

Good luck,

Stefano

James_1947_ML_125cc_in_The_Motor_Cycle_rhs.jpg

OK three pages from the ML parts manual. Non folding footrests with the rubber boots for post WW2 ML's. The shaped tool box as opposed to the cylindrical one. And the foot rest should have the 'T' feet as opposed to the 'L' shaped feet. Hope these help in your quest. Plus a phot of mine at at VE Day do this year.

H1HU

ml 1 parts 001.jpg

ml 2 parts 001.jpg

ml3 parts 001.jpg

P1030459.jpg