Oh Dear big time !

fordf30

Unfortunately I had something of a catastrophic failure on my F30 in Normandy, the front right hand wheel station sheared off just after the flange and threw me into a ditch. Thanks to everybody who helped in the recovery.

Once she's back home I will be able to work out what the failure was, but things point to CV joint disintegrating.

The new problem is that she is supposed to be going on the XXX Corps run in September ! Maurice Donkers reckons he has the parts to replace, but if anyone in the UK has a front axle for a Ford F30 Laat ( small size ball joints same as 15 cwt) please let me know, it would be a real shame to not take her to Arnhem !

Thanks again everyone,

Andy

20140607_120125.jpg

20140607_120132.jpg

20140607_120145.jpg

20140607_140945.jpg

20140607_143123.jpg

Hi there,

Yes it was Ben and Peter who did the recovery, to be honest I just left them to as I have found that working in a team only gets messed about if others join in. It only took them about 45 minutes and no help from the Gendarmes, although we did check with them

Oh blimey, what a nightmare. On the upside I met Ben, Peter and Tom over there, top blokes and very lucky they were passing by. I'd kill for the opportunity to do a proper recovery like that when my Pioneer is done.

Hope you get her fixed soon, not enough of these lovely commonwealth trucks about.

All the best, Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks, I just thought I would update ref my F30 prolem in Normandy.

Now that W & P is over I have had the chance to strip the axle down and it turns out that the axle casing was CRACKED between the ball joint and the diff.

You can see on close inspection that it had been cracked for for probably years judging by the rust marks.

Totally invisible under the paint etc.

One of those things I suppose with a 70 + year old truck and no real history.

It will be back in action soon and in Holland in September for XXX Corps.