Berliet wrecker

Me and a mate though it was about time we got a proper size Military truck, to join in with the WLF boys, so just happened to find this, a Berliet TBC wrecker, 6x6, diff locks, 7.5 litre diesel, exhaust brake, 6 speed ZF box, same hydraulic telescopic,slewing crane gear as the American M series, it runs well, in good condition, done very little work, as it left the French army, but been standing a while, needs a few minor things sorting so rather than risk any problems driving it 150 mls. we got it transported home on this superb 8 wheeler Scania, more pics soon, ...now where's my French phrase book?

Dodge pics 064.jpg

Dodge pics 076.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a very nice truck indeed.

when i saw your thread for Berliet i immediately assumed it was one similar to the ones at RR Services at the mo.

Not come accross them before but i do like!

you said your crane slews. we're talking left and right here i imagine...

how does it do this? spin around that central pivot point?

7 odd litre too. thats tidy. not toooo big (like the eagle diesel 12 L) and not too small.

Where are you on the south coast then?

we're in Brede, East Sussex

cheers

Berliet-s.jpg

Thats a very nice truck indeed.

when i saw your thread for Berliet i immediately assumed it was one similar to the ones at RR Services at the mo.

Not come accross them before but i do like!

you said your crane slews. we're talking left and right here i imagine...

how does it do this? spin around that central pivot point?

7 odd litre too. thats tidy. not toooo big (like the eagle diesel 12 L) and not too small.

Where are you on the south coast then?

we're in Brede, East Sussex

cheers

RR's Berliet is the 8 ton TBU, mine is the 5 ton GBC, wrecker gear is American Austin Westinghouse as fitted to the M series trucks, 270*deg. slewing, plus telescopic jib, 6 ton lift, had it all working ok yesterday, just bought the workshop manual, of course its in French. Engine is 7.5 ltr 5 cyl n/a Diesel coupled to a ZF 6 speed box, it is currently in the yard opp the old cement works at Shoreham

Edited by Nick Johns

• 1 month later...

Heres link to the rebuilt Berliet, infact if you look closely at the cab im sure its off the old 7.5 tonne Renualts, no doute that had one or two sitting about, it also states that by 2009 5500 will be rebuilt

Also link to the final Stud being removed from 4 1200x20's to go on the rear end of our Berliet

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/renault_gbc_180.htm

Good evening Mr Pye

yes its took a few days,,, we had a couple of 2 hour sessions untill we couldnt use our hands any more, please see movie, link on my last post, and Nick would have the odd 30 mins at the tyres with the smaller studs most days over the last week when he was at a loose end

Where off to get them fitted tomorow,,,

Well all new rear tyres are on, thanks goes to the guy at Southern tyres at Small Dole who did not flinch when we turned up this morning with all the wheels and tyres, he just said "Oh this always happens to me" so we left him to it and went to the cafe in Shoreham.

Please note the realy rotton bit of manky railway sleep that Nick was using for safety in the finest tradition of heavy vehicle engneering, also the tool i made for stud removal, its crude but effective.

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Edited by Bartron

• 5 years later...
Me and a mate though it was about time we got a proper size Military truck, to join in with the WLF boys, so just happened to find this, a Berliet TBC wrecker, 6x6, diff locks, 7.5 litre diesel, exhaust brake, 6 speed ZF box, same hydraulic telescopic,slewing crane gear as the American M series, it runs well, in good condition, done very little work, as it left the French army, but been standing a while, needs a few minor things sorting so rather than risk any problems driving it 150 mls. we got it transported home on this superb 8 wheeler Scania, more pics soon, ...now where's my French phrase book?

Bags I have the Berliet!! (From Berliet)