Half tracking CVR(T) style

plainmilitary

First of, sorry about the size of the pictures. This Scimitar belongs to the Household Cavarlry from Windsor. For the past ten days they have been on a Recce Ex on Salisbury Plain. Just before endex this vehicle trashed it's bearings and tryed to make it back, Sadly in the process of tracking it back to base it melted the rear wheel. The next stage is what is called Half tracking. Basicly they remove the rear wheel, torsion bar and eight track links. This allows them to pull what track links they have left tight around the remaining wheels and limp back without the need of a recovery vehicle. I know this sort of thing went on but have never seen it in action.

HC8.jpg

HC9.jpg

HC11.jpg

HC12.jpg

Also what recovery vehicle they had, had also gone US with the same problem.

HC28.jpg

HC104.jpg

This procedure is not recommended to any CVR(T) owners.

Going off the last pic could be they didnt do a correct first parade and check the oil levels in the idler wheel or as has happen to me in the passed:blush: the the fill nut has come undone and you lose the oil and it goes bye bye. But could be wrong.:???

The crew are all wearing the Mk 6 helmet, the driver and commander have the headsets which fit under the helmet and have a velcro strap over the top. For some reason the guy in the gunners hatch has no headset, maybe he's just along for the ride!

All the vehicles are endex and just about to be loaded on transporters. The gunner was just cabbing rather than walking down from the camp. Once the vehicles have been de-bugged of all kit they are loaded and shipped out. 20 CVR(T)s stripped and loaded in under 1 hour, very impressive.

The crew are all wearing the Mk 6 helmet, the driver and commander have the headsets which fit under the helmet and have a velcro strap over the top. For some reason the guy in the gunners hatch has no headset, maybe he's just along for the ride!

Tyipcal cav :whistle: Too Lazy to walk.

And yea Been stay behind party a few times to load them up on the trailers or low loaders also put them into containers now that was fun:-D:shocked:

Wouldn't want to be on the container loading. the noise must be terrible. Mark in all the time I have been photographing the Army on Salisbury Plain this is the first time I have ever seen it actually being done. I have seen it with hards and training aids for the HETs but never a CVR(T) on the road.

Looks like the Idler arm has sheared off.

Agreed, It looks like the stubs of the mounting bolts are still in the side of the Hull. Normally, it would have the track coiled up on top of the front top Armour & be towed back with a pair of Hollibones, to a safe area for repair. It transpires that the Sampson Recovery vehicle is U/S for the same reason! This method of 'self recovery' in a 'get you home' mode is not a new idea.

As a good example, in the outside area of the overloon museum in Holland. There is a German Panther Tank with exactly the same Field repair/ modification done after having a wheel blown off by a P.I.A.T.

Nice to see this actually in Service use. It would normally only be done in a Combat enviroment and also as seen here simply because no R.E.M.E Recovery assistance was available. Still, a lot of time & work done to shorten the track & refit though!

Mike. :-\

Carried out half tracking quite a few times on Exercise and Op's with 432 and Warrior, it's an excellent quick fix that doesn't really take that long to do. It gets you back to location were a permanent repair can be effected. Not advisable to drive on public roads though. :stop:

They've been teaching this for donkey's years at SEME Bordon.

Carried out half tracking quite a few times on Exercise and Op's with 432 and Warrior, it's an excellent quick fix that doesn't really take that long to do. It gets you back to location were a permanent repair can be effected. Not advisable to drive on public roads though. :stop:

They've been teaching this for donkey's years at SEME Bordon.

Yup, and even better as you can tell the crew to do it whilst you make a cuppa from thier BV!

As I told them (I have the same cap badge as you) YOU bend it, we, mend it!

Mike.....:coffee:

No, 15/19 H and QOY.

Ha up which Qoy were you with i was with "C" sqn (The earl of chesters). them did a bit with the Nottingham lot (sherwood rangers) till we all went mbt. And was turn over to the RMLY.

1stTroop Sgt at "D" Sqn at Cramlington, first crew to get tracks in the sqn due to all my crew being track trained.

Cool I was 1st troop And we were the first troop to get tracks as well as we were the only troop to have 4 track trained drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
I've done it myself on a noumber of occasions in the past, Alien probably has to.

No mate. I was a bleep. Didn't get my hands dirty on D&M tasks. You broke your CVR(T)? I'll keep my radios on net. (Of course I did help if the driver asked nicely. Often amounted to, "Brew?")

I have just had this awful flashback to the denims you used to keep soaked in OMD75. EUUUUURGH.

Plus whatever troop I was in, we kept our roadwheels serviced.

I do understand that the gap between roadwheels 1 and 2 on the T54/55 was designed specifically to enable the crew to pull this sort of stunt and continue the advance after a minestrike.

It was all them years in Command Troop made me soft mate. But all that mixing with Colonels ensured I could do it with style, panache and élan. (woohoo: discovers that Chrome's spell-checker identifies elan as wrong and offers to correct it to élan.)