June 6th at the 493rd Bomb Group, Debach

For those not in Normandy for the anniversary, and for those with an interest in aviation, Debach Airfield was the next best place and a very appropriate place to be. The 493rd Bomb Group based at Debach, was the last heavy bomber Group to be activated in the 8th Air Force, flying their historic first mission on D-Day.

Bodge and myself, plus a few others arrived on Friday, although the 40's hangar dance wasn't until Saturday night, and the museum open day on Sunday. But if you are going to travel a 600 mile round trip, you might as well make a weekend of it, especially if the forecast is for heavy rain all weekend!

Before I go any further, a big thanks to Richard Taylor and the volunteers at the museum for making it happen, and also to Adrian Barrell for taking myself and a couple of my model flying friends for a ride in the Sherman, but especially for taking the huge risk in letting Bodge climb back on the tank. I did notice Adrian twitch as Bodge hauled himself up, but this time Bodge didn't give him a good kicking!

Anyway, I've got some photos and video to post, not all of which I've sorted yet, but here's a start!

Click the picture for the video

Another video! Click the picture.

and another video. Click the picture.

Steve

The pair then head to collect the Flying Control Caravan parked near by.

debach8.jpg

A quick check of a weld that cracked last time out, and all seems to be well.

debach9.jpg

The officer disappears into the HQ Admin building while T/Sgt Carr comes to give Sgt Fox a hand getting the trailer to the active runway.

debach10.jpg

debach11.jpg

Absolutely!

A wonderful weekend in great company... a superb run round the perry track in Adrians Sherman, a blast in the museums WC62, a crackin' hangar dance, fantastic museum staffed by genuine enthusiasts... crud weather but hey... historically accurate weather anyway so they even got that right...top stuff!

Apologies to Adrian if i stretched the co-drivers hatch getting in... I closed it when i got out but the lid fell into the tank... sorry bout that! *ahem*

Absolutely!

Apologies to Adrian if i stretched the co-drivers hatch getting in... I closed it when i got out but the lid fell into the tank... sorry bout that! *ahem*

I had assumed the hatch had shrunk in all the rain.... Seems to be ok now but I might have to fit a more powerful spring in the seat to help egress! Mind you, I seem to need one my side now too :coffee:

Good to see you all again, glad you had a good time.

Cheers for all making the long trip south, especially when the weather normally gets hotter the further south you go!!

As you say next best thing to Normandy and most of us in Suffolk still speak a version of the Queens English, rather than that funny foreign language.

Pleased you all had a good time and long may the event continue. Next year i feel a complete groundcrew setup awaiting the bombers return, as well as your excellant control caravan diorama and maybe if Richard paints the Bofors a flak site as well!!!

Maybe a Clark tractor could be finished for next year and pull the bombs around with Bodge on top. Then again would need to check the drawbar pull with the extra load!!!

Thanks must also go to Adrian for churning up the grass!

Thans to you all once again

Great to "see" whats going on over there , The buildings look like they are being taken care of and with the period equipment it really add to the feel of the place. I hope they will be able to increase the interest in the facility and grow the interest in it.

Would the flight control caravan have had a stove or would the service personal just have dressed accordingly back in the day ?

Made a point of visiting the event on Sunday whilst I was in the area, well worth going once again, despite a drop of rain or two early on, which gave all the vehicles that just washed look for the camera! A good mix of vehicles, friendly owners and informative museum volunteers; and at long last, got to see (and ride in) Adrian’s Sherman, so I left a happy chappy. Thanks to all, got a date for next year yet?

Just to let you all know unfortunately one of the veterans who attended the Debach dance and openday passed away on Monday 8th June.

Coleman Duncan who was an original member of 493rd BG and flew into Debach on 10th May 1944 and flew the first three missions and was shot down on his third mission, having only spent four weeks at Debach and never left the base.

Our thoughts are with his surviving family.

Very sad, all the best to his family.

The museum is a superb tribute to the men who served there, and they certainly seemed to appreciate the efforts you all went to, well done...

It must mean a lot to them to see their contributions (rightly) honoured.

• 11 months later...