Tank Fest at Bovington 27/28th June 2009

This is the first time for many years that it has not clashed with the MVT National Show at Kemble. But even before those clashes my experience was that although the event was well publicised there seemed to be no great enthusiasm to encourage the display of privately owned MVs.

When I have gone it was through a word of mouth arrangement of the local MVT. Although I am a MVT member, I am out of the local region & it is easy to miss out on things like this, but as a Friend of the Tank Museum I would like to be involved by taking my MV.

I will be going again this year, it would be nice to see a few more softskin vehicles....

Joseph, do you mean "going" as in displaying your own vehicle? If so who is the co-ordinator for MV entries please?

Joseph, do you mean "going" as in displaying your own vehicle? If so who is the co-ordinator for MV entries please?

Unfortunately I don't (yet) have a vehicle to display, I don't know who to ask about displaying vehicles either, oh and my name's Luke, not Joseph:-D

Most years it's just re-enactment groups with vehicles and not individuals,

Cheers,

Luke

I dont think it is open to private MV owner applications. If you have a vehicle that they want then they will contact you and ask you to come, unless you are a member of a re-enactment group in which case you can go with them of course. It seems that the reenactment is the big crowd puller.

I wont be going to Tankfest. They have an incredible collection of AFV's, an incredible facility, but i am no longer enthused by it. It all seems too PC, too Health and Safety orientated. It is just not fun anymore. I am not even enticed by the smell of Jacks wet canvas. If you like seeing tanks on the move, or battle re-enactments then go, you will have a great time I am sure.

Tim (too)

I have to agree with Tim, since the lottery grant and new arena was built it seems to have lost something. I think the appointment of managing directors and PR Officers might have something to do with it. The entry price gets steeper each year too.

Hi as previously mentioned they will not accept vehicles as an independant display........these days even the local MVT do not get an invite.

Vehicles with the living history displays are only accepted.:cry:

I'm surprised by the lack of interest!

I thought this show was one of the highlights of the MV rally season!QUOTE]

Ashley

Also have to agree with Tim. We were sent a press pass to go down on the open day but I was away at a show and Snap couldn't make it. However, I wasn't too concerned and Jess and I go there all the time so we have seen it progress.

I have to say that I am not impressed with the changes. I am not too sure if £16,000,000 was well spent. The commentary tower is something out of the War of the Worlds. I would rather much see money be spent on preserving the raw history and the memories of the tank crews. Bearing in mind that tanks are no small thing and the Challenger 2 is massive then having an arena the size of a large pub car park just doesn't do the tanks justice.............

Hi as previously mentioned they will not accept vehicles as an independant display........these days even the local MVT do not get an invite.

Vehicles with the living history displays are only accepted.:cry:

Ashley

Really?? I must put my hand up and admit to being surprised as hell by this!!

I would have thought in these current economic conditions additional support from privately owned MV's would have been a big plus for them in attracting visitors. Not all Bovvy's vehicles are on display and to have had a selection of other vehicles there would surely have added interest to the event...

Thanks guys. It looks like me and my mate will be going some where else then at the end of June. Any suggestions for an MV event in Southern England for that weekend?

I think I'll give this a try British Armed Forces & Veterans Weekend at Trowbridge Park, Wiltshire. Various displays including cooking! MVs, re-enactors, steam etc. Contact maryrose@trowbridge.gov.uk

I used to go to the Bovington "Battledays" & display a MV. But not been for a few years as it clashed with Kemble. As a Friend of the Museum was looking forward to going this year with my own MV, but if we are not welcome any more so be it, I shall have to review whether it is worth renewing my Friends subscription.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

i remember us talking about it a while ago,i said i wouldnt go just because of the no photo rule,i remember when we all helped in the early days when they never had a pot,i wont go thro it all again but i did tell you whot to expect.Like Clive said support something more deserving,---- um.cw.

Dont let us put you off going. If you want to see some WW2 re-enactors doing a battle or some rare tanks driving around up close, then it is brilliant. I do however feel that their target customer are not MV owners anymore, but families. Fair enough, they have a good business plan and will make lots of money out of it to keep the collection safe, so good luck to them.

I must admit though that £16 Million is a heck of a lot of money to spend and I really cant see a great benefit in their massive new hall. That money could have been better spent on acquisitions or restoration of some of their exhibits. But it was not me that gave them the £16M, so it is not for me to tell them how to spend it.

Just sent off my entry for the Evesham Camp event, a lot further for me but worth it as they have a good set up there & actually want our MVs to come!

Thats brilliant Clive made my day,cheers CW.

Why, are you going to a different show then? :-D

Do you need the pistol :banana:

For me Jack its simple if i get the idea there taking the Mickey then i dont bother.it could be charging for entry if you bring a vehicle,or just ripping your arms and legs off for food.Heres an opening for someone,mess tent proper food,liver an bacon and all that proper prices,there was one at GDSF once did a roaring trade,Theres only so much junk food you can eat in a wk end.I would have all my meals in such a place rather than cart all the cooking junk around,plus PW gets a rest.THe prices at Bealieu were not realistic for people who had spent all there money probably on petrol.

We all have different ideas and needs but in general we want to meet up with likeminded people have a laugh and a beer and not get the mickey taken.Places like Evesham show have the old style good atmosphere,hopefully the IMPS new show can restore it as well.CW.

I agree 100% about food CW, at the 50th anniversary ARC rally the bar and catering were let to a guy from Yorkshire who had several ex Brewery artics and made his living catering at mainly steam shows, superb home cooked style food at very fair prices and beer at local pub prices, needless to say he did a roaring trade. All the burger and chip vans gave up during the day but in the late evening all gathered near the catering tent in the hope of picking up trade when people had drunk enough not to notice the inflated prices.:-D