Wheels and wings Elvington.

Went along Saturday as a day visitor with family. Weather held all the time we were there but rain came as we left and may have spoilt the evening drive out for a few.

Good selection of vehicles there. Diappointed not to see a Ward La France again but there don't seem to be many in the North. Also a noticeable shortage of Scammells (just the one) compared to most other events were they seem to dominate.

The one Scammell, a rarer Pioneer variant and a very very nice matador complete with 5.5in gun.

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

That was a nice pioneer tank transporter. does any one know how owns it?

Not sure of the owner, but it was a very nice example. Even had the very straight engine side covers stored toward the rear. Engine looked to be an original Gardner 6Lw.

That was a nice pioneer tank transporter. does any one know how owns it?

I will let you know who owns it when I look it up in the entries. Stomin, only had the Spit on Sat as Lanc is broken on continent and was a bit too windy on Sat for the Hurricane. If you though Sat was windy you should have been there on Fri when we were setting the show up.....jeezzzzus!! A least the weather held, big shower on Sat eve but the lads on the road run missed it all, all came back dry as a bone. Sunday was dry all day with a spit spot about 3 30. Had one Ward booked in but logistics,he was a stall holder as well, meant he couldn't get it there. Thanks to all who attended, had 220ish vehicles through the gate over the weekend. With the museum vehicles and l/h groups well over 250 on site overall. Had some spare stall space as somebody who was selling tents thought it was going to rain all weekend. Thanks once again to everybody for coming. Ivor

Edited by ivor
spellig

Just returned from what was a very enjoyable weekend, many thanks to those who put in such an effort, often unsung, to the make the weekend such a success.

SS852079.jpg

We went to this event, after the customary working till the small hours rush, we set off at about 4pm, and caused a little traffic traffic on the way.

the weather wasn't as bad as expected, we arrived in light rain, managed to get the tent up and went to the NAAFI, after which we returned to finish the tent and unload etc, just in the nick of time as it chucked it down, this only lasted a little while and the sun came out.

Saturday was a good day, a little overcast at times, couple of showers but nothing serious.

The fly past was good, sorry the filming isn't fab, I'm no David Bailey, but it gives an idea

th_flypast.jpg

after the flypast, we went on the road run, didn't take many pics as the battery went flat :(

SS852072.jpg

the road run was to Melbourne control tower to the former airfield, it was a nice end to a pleasant day.

Sunday, we managed to beat the crowds, and got to the front in good time to watch a very competent display, where two 25 pounders were fired. We didn't have much luck here either with the camera as the memory was full, the videos are split into three, in between each was much frantic activity trying to decide what to delete from the camera to make some room. The quality isn't very good, but it gives you an idea:

th_ItisLoud.jpg

th_25pdrpart1.jpg

th_25pdrpart2.jpg

All in all a good weekend out, the weather, although not red hot was good enough. Hello to all those I spoke to, sorry if I missed anyone.

SS852073.jpg

SS852078.jpg

SS852064.jpg

Edited by Simon Daymond

Simon, thank you for this wonderful report. I can see you all had a really enjoyable weekend and your Militant looks absolutely the Dog's Whiskers. Have I been in a time warp or something ? The last time I saw any pictures of your Milly it was still in bits and now you're showing it. You've been working really hard over the past few months to have got such an impressive result. A fantastic looking, and very rare,:thumbsup: AEC.

Had some spare stall space as somebody who was selling tents thought it was going to rain all weekend. Thanks once again to everybody for coming. Ivor

Not confident of the rain resisting abilities of his tents ehh?

Obviously built for use down South and not up to Northern weather conditions. :D

Saturday was a good day, a little overcast at times, couple of showers but nothing serious.

The fly past was good, sorry the filming isn't fab, I'm no David Bailey, but it gives an idea

Simon,

I learnt from trying to film many aircraft last year that sometimes, it's best to forget it and just enjoy the show. Trying to follow a small object in the sky moving very fast and maintain focus is way too hard.

Very nice militant by the way.

Glad the heavy rain shower on Saturday didn't affect the road run.

I too would like to publically add my sincere thanks to Brian, Ivor and their team for another 'good do' at Elvington this year. I know that there is a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes for these events, most of it unseen - and rarely even acknowledged. It is firmly on our radar as an annual must attend event.

Whilst i have to apologise that they are only of my vehicles (not the plane...).... Here are some of the pictures i took.

Ken

IMG00200-20090509-1509.jpg

IMG00173-20090508-1058.jpg

IMG00174-20090508-1058.jpg

IMG00175-20090508-1105.jpg

IMG00176-20090508-1156.jpg

IMG00177-20090508-1156.jpg

IMG00178-20090508-1156.jpg

IMG00179-20090508-1156.jpg

IMG00180-20090508-1650.jpg

IMG00181-20090508-1650.jpg

IMG00182-20090508-1853.jpg

IMG00183-20090508-1853.jpg

IMG00184-20090508-1854.jpg

Tony Pearson's had a fuel problem and didn't make it out of the gates. It is sort of a shame as it would have been quite a sight to recover it with the Diamond T.... There was another altercation in Elvington with an off duty policeman who was unhappy at being delayed by the convoy. Whilst my driver agreed that he did not know who this chap was, he certainly knew 'what' he was..... For posterity, i record that the conversation ended with this chap calling one of the stewards 'fat nuts' which is perhaps more of an indication of what he was himself. Luckily he didn't look up and see the kids with a .50 cal......

Ken

...with regards the off duty policeman, it just shows how things have changed road wise, when people who should know better have such a poor attitude. I was always taught that the speed limit was just that, not the minimum but the maximum. From what I saw off our bit of the convoy, everyone drove very well and appropriately for the road conditions. It makes me think when I go from driving the militant at 30mph flat out, and then jump in my car, just why I am I flying around so fast?

I think we could do with a few more convoys, just to get motorists back into the habit of driving a bit slower i.e. within the speed limit, but I guess that's just a pipedream.