NATO trailer electrics plug

simon stolly

Question

11 answers to this question

At the cable entry there are two nuts. The one at the end is the cable grip & the other nut threads into the rubber body, undo this nut.

Looking inside you will see a metal tube. Tap this down & the plug assembly will move out from the rubber body. When the edge of this tube is level with the rubber inside you need to choose something that is the same diameter as the tube & tap out the whole plug assembly. Don't choose anything too small as you may damage the backs of the pins.

This will reveal a metal assembly that is unscrewed to reveal the pin connections to which the wires must be soldered.

Guys,

Can I just follow on this thread and ask if anyone has made a converter lead from NATO 12 pin to a civvy 7(?) pin and was it straight forward?

Basically I want to be able to run a civvy trailer from the NATO plug without changing anything on the vehicle....

Thanks

Colt

A converter cable is easy enough to make up, i used normal 7 core trailer cable and made up a lead to suit. I have one for each way. I did have a pin diagram for the military plug but cant find it right now. Sure someone will be along that has one.

Thanks...did you join the wires with a solder iron or is it possible to wire straight up to the pins on a NATO plug? I havent looked at the internals of one. Also where did you get a spare NATO plug from??

Cheers

Colt

Should be here in clives corner

hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=702

Thanks Chris thats helpful.

Just need to find a NATO plug now and then I will work out if its possible to wire up to the pins.

They come up EBay from time to time, best to save a search, so that EBay notifies you when something new comes on, expect to pay between £10 and £20 for one.

I am now looking the aux power socket that plugs into the power feed, normally next to the nato plug on the back of Bedfords, Fodens etc..

The push in two prong plug that fits the aux power out in the cab would be good too, useful for running inspection lights and plugging in a 24v-12v converter for all those modern day accessories that we just can do without.