Hi all.

Been thinking about what type of coolent I should put in the FV432 and it has got me thinking about a wider issue.

Not sure if it's feasable - but how about a technical section on the forum.

I have probably made three or more requests about what type of lubricants I should be using for a certain vehicle. For instance - I have:

Ward La France

FV432

Austin Champ

Bockhouse Office Trailer

Ben Hur Trailer

Now I know what I should be using in the Ward engine, gearbox and axles. Same with the FV432 but not too sure about the coolent specs for either.

I have seen countless requests on the forum for lubricant and technical info of various vehicles.

Now there are a number of brain boxes on this forum as well as fellow owners. I'm not interested in the military names of the lubricants as I can't nip down to Halfords and ask for some OMD80. I can however ask for some SAE30 and get some joy.

So, computer buffs - is this feasible on the forum?

It would be excellent to look up a certain type of vehicle and see a lubricants board / or technical info board showing civillian lubricant types and quantities. The same sort of information you get at the start of owner handbooks etc.

Just a thought - mean while, can someone advise me on the type of coolent I should use for a Mk2 FV432 (is the K60 an aluminium engine, etc)

Many thanks

Markheliops

Think we considered this before but as members like posting in there own little sections we would be moving stuff all over the place... the search facilty is very good on the forum but few members seem to use it... if you had a tech board members would still ask the same questions rather than doing a search first... nothing really wrong in that as it keeps the boards active...

Members can always write a techie bit & ask us to lock it so the info doesn't get lost in dozens of posts...

If people aren't going to search to find the answer, the correct response is just to point them at the appropriate link and NOT answer the question directly. They'll soon get the hang of it.

Tell you what Alien -

Can you just point me to the link where it states what the coolent spec for a FV432 is!

I've searched on here and on the internet and can't find any information in relation to my question.

I dunno - I thought this forum was meant to assist owners in exactly the type of question I have asked.

I realise it must be disconcerting for those with the knowlege to have to answer a simple question - but surely the fact that I have asked the question would indicate I can't find the answer - which I can't.

I would have thought people would have known that I'm not prone to asking pointless questions for the hell of it -

Mark,

What we need is not to reproduce every single Servicing Schedule, these are easy enough to get hold of. What people need is a table which they can cross reference lubricant specifications from.

Here are some examples:

OMD 30 is 5W/20

OMD 55 is 5W/30

OMD 80 is 10W/30

OMD 110 is SAE 30 (straight)

OEP220 is EP90

As for your coolant question, the service schedule I have here (14653) does not give a specification just the capacity, 44.3 litres. Stick some water and antifreeze in it.

Chris

I've searched on here and on the internet and can't find any information in relation to my question.

Mark,

The spec for Army antifreeze, AL-39 is as follows;

"Made to Def Stan 68-127/1

Composed of Ethanediol and water and inhibited with sodium sebacate and benzotriazole

use in cooling system of marine and land service internal combustion engines containing both ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

For use the product is diluted to 50% by volume with water to ensure adequate fill for life performance"

To be honest, most good quality ethylene glycol antifreezes are OK with engines of alloy and iron. Just check on the label it usually says.

Hope this what you wanted, if you need any help with oil specs just PM me.

OMD 110 is SAE 30 (straight)

Chris,

Just a point, OMD-110 was not a "straight" engine oil. The term "straight" is used for oils that do not have detergency qualities and used in engines without full flow filtration. OMD-110 was a heavy duty detergent oil and was obselete by the early Seventies.

Mark,

The spec for Army antifreeze, AL-39 is as follows;

"Made to Def Stan 68-127/1

Composed of Ethanediol and water and inhibited with sodium sebacate and benzotriazole

use in cooling system of marine and land service internal combustion engines containing both ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

For use the product is diluted to 50% by volume with water to ensure adequate fill for life performance"

To be honest, most good quality ethylene glycol antifreezes are OK with engines of alloy and iron. Just check on the label it usually says.

Hope this what you wanted, if you need any help with oil specs just PM me.

Thanks for the info and advice Richard - you have answered my question.

I was concerned as I know some coolants can damage alloy engines.

Markheliops

Tell you what Alien -

Can you just point me to the link where it states what the coolent spec for a FV432 is!

AFAIK the web-techy people haven't set up a correct place to list it yet. When they have, I'll gladly help.

;o)