Scrap yards

mvdepot

The yellow truck looks like a Humberr FVthingy, but what would it be doing in Oz :confused:

The Australian Army had some in service, although apparantly they were badged as Commer over there. Still a few turn up in Aus. on the show scene.

There is a Champ, early S1 Land Rover and Ford Thames ET there as well.

Thanks Richard, a strange choice for the Oz army?? Perhaps they had diesels fitted in them?

I wondered if it might have been a lead in to CW's next overland adventure after Africa, this time around Oz in a Humber. No, perhaps not.....:cool2:

Very surprised to see at least two almost complete looking steam traction engines.

I wouldn't imagine they'd be sat for long over here given the interest and value in restored ones. May even be worth someone shipping them back here.

Is there not much of a vintage and steam following in Australia?

Why do you Poms also want to buy every thing up and send it home!! There are collectors in other parts of the world who do enjoy restoring items of their interest.

Aussie is a great place to find people with vast collections of material they have collected up from often considerable distances.

The dry climate away from the coast also helps to maintain steel in good condition.

My comments may seem harsh but unfortunately the perception is that so many English cannot see vintage collections establish outside from their own country.

PS the two steam engines are portables

Doug

Why do you Poms also want to buy every thing up and send it home!! Doug

I agree with you!!! We (Poms!) shipped back no end of mainly steam stuff in the 70's and 80's. I think this destroyed any provenance they might had had.

Am I right in thinking though that the Australian govenment stopped a lot of this.

I'm no expert. But I agree it sounds unfair. Don't claim to know enough about the reality of it. I suppose we have become as acquisitive as the Americans and others and I would imagine the whole thing has become extremely competitive. A very interesting issue to discuss.

MB

Why do you Poms also want to buy every thing up and send it home!! There are collectors in other parts of the world who do enjoy restoring items of their interest.

Aussie is a great place to find people with vast collections of material they have collected up from often considerable distances.

The dry climate away from the coast also helps to maintain steel in good condition.

My comments may seem harsh but unfortunately the perception is that so many English cannot see vintage collections establish outside from their own country.

PS the two steam engines are portables

Doug

The Australian Government set in place a few years ago legislation further restricting the export of heritage items. Similar laws have now also been upgraded in New Zealand.

I understand there are a number of cases pending prosecution where items exported under the previous legislation were falsely documented for export.The outcome is expected that those items to be returned to country of origin.

Is was the monetary gain that motivated people into trading internationally in heritage items.

Doug

The Australian Government fortunately did do something to stop their heritage being shipped abroad under the pretext of people 'saving' vehicles . It's a few years now since the new rules were introduced & since then what had become something of a flood has quite rightly dried up . The arrogance of those who assumed that because many of the steam engines still extant in Australia were manufactured in Britain they should be shipped back is unbelievable - and also typical of significant numbers in the preservation fraternity here . There is indeed a thriving community of enthusiasts down under working hard to preserve and restore their historic past and there are many examples of vehicles finished to an extremely high quality there .

The arrogance of those who assumed that because many of the steam engines still extant in Australia were manufactured in Britain they should be shipped back is unbelievable

I agree, this has been bothering me for some time now, I can understand someone finding something very rare that is about to rust away in a high humidity jungle, and bringing it home because there is no hope of any local finance or enthusiasm coming to the rescue.

Some stuff was special ordered to suit local conditions and requirements. these have no place in the UK, and as long as they are not in danger of being lost should remain where they are. Like the LRDG vehicles still lying in the sand in North Africa, for instance.

The biggest lost in recent times was to the Chinese as scrap. Again the dollar won as the value of scrap rose. Truck loads of tractors, trucks and all sorts of machinery went past home here heading for the scrap merchants and off to China.

Some horror stories are told of collectable material being scrapped.

No dought the same else where in the world

Doug

It is pleasing to see the comments supporting collectors and collections on this side of the world. Unfortunately many folk also are of the opinion that restoration work can only be undertaken in the UK.

Our ancestry is British and with the people who migrated here came the engineers, and as such continued their professions here. Over the subsequent generations the standard has continued.

Kiwis can restore items!

Perhaps this whole issue needs a new thread topic

Images are shown by members of the forum of vehicles about the world, but little is covered of collections else where in the world. There must collections in South America, Africa, and Eastern Europe.

Perhaps this whole issue needs a new thread topic as well

Now look what I've started!

I wasn't saying they shouldn't be restored were they are. I am just unaware of any great historic vehicle restoration scene down under. This is just my ignorance of what goes on, on the other side of the world.

I still believe I'm correct though in saying those vehicles would be more highly valued here than down under, or they would surely already be restored. Such vehicles are always going to have a greater following in their country of origin through stronger links, i.e. people remember the original factory, a relation owned one or worked in the factory etc.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Governments are good at stopping the export of historical artifacts,for them to remain unrestored and rotting.i personally dont care why something is restored

even if its a business only venture,the fact its saved for future generations is enough i think.all the people who morned the loss of all the things that went to China had every oppertunity to do something about it well before it happened.And as for some of the yard owners they would rather cut things up or let them go past restoration

than sell at reasonable prices.I knew of one yard on Sheppy that had New champ rear axles in crates and wouldnt sell at any price,why,gawd knows ,most of them are stark staring bonkers.

One can say the same influence occurs in this country as to people having a relationship towards a vehicle. As to car and trucks they were assembled in this country from the crates of parts set out (CKD) A common export method about the world that used local labour and some local components.

Yes like you, go to a rally or event and the response is the same; My father, uncle etc had one of those, drove one like that, repaired then, sold them,or whatever.

Personal contact and stories flow. The local link is strong.

There are a wide range of vehicle restorers in NZ from commercial firms to the at home enthusiast. Like in any country the amount of time or money spent will be reflected in the finished product.

In my travels about the country I have visited people manufacturing a variety of vintage replacement parts, some even for export to the UK.

A top end example is the manufacture of crankshafts for vintage Rolls Royces. Quality management is the key.

Kiwis can do it!!

Doug

:) I think all vehicle scrapyards are great. I could spend hours just mooching through rusty tin. They're like 'theme parks' for old petrol-heads. (Until you get chased out by the owners!)

Edited by Volksron

Unfortunately many folk also are of the opinion that restoration work can only be undertaken in the UK.

Really ? What is the evidence for making that statement ? I've never heard it said that non-Poms are, somehow, less entitled or less able, to undertake restorations. One only has to go online and see the many fabulous collections around the world containing beautifully restored historic vehicles of all kinds. If you want to see how highly skilled non-Poms are check out Kiwi-Indian.

http://www.kiwi-indian.com/

but unfortunately the perception is that so many English cannot see vintage collections establish outside from their own country.

This maybe the perception but the reality is that many thousands, yes Doug, thousands of collectable vehicles of all kinds, Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Vincents, Bough Superiors etc, etc, etc have been exported from the UK to international collectors in recent decades. Just a few months ago a Bugatti Type 57 left these shores after being here since the 1930's. Two Thornycraft Antars were imported into Australia recently and another is, I believe, being restored in Canada. It's also true to say that there is everything from Trabants to Russian Tanks are in UK collections. It's an well established international trade. What's wrong with that ? Just wait until billionaire Chinese truck manufacturers decide they'd like to start a collection of vintage trucks from around the world. Here's a link to an American collection that was posted on this forum by Younggun sometime ago.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/index.shtml

Images are shown by members of the forum of vehicles about the world, but little is covered of collections else where in the world. There must collections in South America, Africa, and Eastern Europe.

There are collections in many different parts of the world and, whenever possible, members of this forum do post links.

Below is a link to East European site that I posted on this forum sometime ago that you may have missed. There have been similar links posted by other members.

http://www.netlabor.hu/roncskutatas/modules/myalbum/

I recently asked a member of this forum in New Zealand if he would kindly post a few photographs, and a brief report, of the next Historic Military Vehicle show that he attends. We would all, where ever we live, find that very interesting. Maybe you would be kind enough to do the same. (And NOT because we Poms want to see what's left there so that can come and grab it !)

I salute you sir.

Your comments are taken and I agree with the points you have raised.

Like in any society it only takes a few to give a different perception of a wider society's standing.

In this case we ( in NZ) have had a number of visitors from Britain to whom the cheque book ruled and with it an attitude of only they are correct, or they know best.

Yet others are polite, helpful and interested to see what goes on here. Spending time with them is a pleasant experience.

I was not aware of the Kiwi Indian Motorcycle Co however see it is based in California. An ex Kiwi owner

So many Kiwis are operating companies all over the world.

To those who wish to view a restoration and new constuction operation; check out

Vintage Aviator.co.nz . Building of as new WW1 aircraft, including engines.

That is a NZ company.

I realise this website is British based and therefore the dominance of following will be British. For a colonial to be critical of some British my seem unjustified, but then it was unfortunate the comments were made towards the apparent lack of restoration undertaken in Australia. I simply wished to correct this.

Yes it would be nice to get more photos on to the forum of military vehicles in NZ . The number of military rallies here are very few, then again those of us restoring WW1 vehicles I can count on one hand. WW2 collectors are far more common.

The important thread here is we all have a common interest, restoring military vehicles of all descriptions. In many ways I'm thankful to be rebuilding items here in NZ without the hassle of the bureaucratic jungle you have to endure.

Doug