qustion about the wheels of a triumph 3hw

rien

Hello,

I have a few questions about my triumph 3hw.

Does somebody know wat kind of tire size's belong to this bike? On the front weel is mounted a 3.25x19" firestone original miltary tube. And on the rear wheel a 3.50x19". Does somebody know off this is orginal or that both tubes most have the same size?

The spokes of the rear wheel ar thicker than the front spokes of the frontwheel is this original or most have both wheels the same spokes.

Thank you for reading!!

Regards Rien

Rien,

Tyre size would have been 3.25 - 19 front and rear.

Spoke sizes were:-

Front

7-1/2" x 10G x 78° (x10)

7-1/2" x 10G x 99° (x10)

8-7/8" x 10G x 78° (x10)

8-7/8" x 10G x 99° (x10)

Rear

8-3/4" x 9G x 76° (x10)

8-3/4" x 9G x 100° (x10)

9" x 9G x 76G (x10)

9" x 9G x 100° (x10)

10 Gauge = 3,2mm, whilst 9 Gauge = 3,6mm, so the answer is yes, the front spokes are thinner than those used at the rear.

Post up some photos of the 3HW, great bike, and not too many around anymore.

Cheers,

Stefano

Thanks for you reply, i try to upload foto's but it wont work. When i finished the bike i will deffenetly upload fhoto's of my 3hw. To bad there is not much technical info to find on the internet about the 3hw.

Regards from holland

To bad there is not much technical info to find on the internet about the 3hw.

That's what this hobby is all about ¦¬)

Once you have finished your restoration you will be THE EXPERT and you can share your knowledge with the rest of us here on the forum.

Gareth

Thanks for you reply, i try to upload foto's but it wont work. When i finished the bike i will deffenetly upload fhoto's of my 3hw. To bad there is not much technical info to find on the internet about the 3hw.

Regards from holland

Rien,

Try Bruce-Main-Smith, they do photocopies of most manuals. Triumph workshop manuals were way better than most, although the 3HW spares catalogues weren't really up to much. They're not really difficult bikes to work on, and generally very reliable. It's got quite alot in common with early post war Speed Twins [gearbox (although the ratios change) clutch, mudguards, stands, battery carrier, chainguards, oil tank, brake pedal, footrests and quite a few other bits and bobs]. My advice is to find a Tiger 80 piston and gear up the engine sprocket by a tooth, that way the performance comes right up to prewar standards. You can even upgrade the brakes by using the fully floating shoes used in sixties bonnevilles.

All the best,

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Rear

8-3/4" x 9G x 76° (x10)

8-3/4" x 9G x 100° (x10)

9" x 9G x 76G (x10)

9" x 9G x 100° (x10)

10 Gauge = 3,2mm, whilst 9 Gauge = 3,6mm, so the answer is yes, the front spokes are thinner than those used at the rear.

Stefano

Is there a source for those rear spokes? I haven´t been able to find the right spokes online. I have the thinner ones on both front and rear wheels (3sw) and not surprisingly one of the thinner spokes on the rear wheel is broken.

Oliver

Central Wheel Co in the UK were also good in supplying spokes........in general, rears were always a thicker gauge than fronts............

As for tyres, 3.25 was standard for most WD bikes...........only the M20 with WM3 rims used (sometimes) the 3.50 tyres............but there is only 1/4" difference between 3.25 and 3.50 so the difference is negligible.........:-D

Central Wheel Co in the UK were also good in supplying spokes........in general, rears were always a thicker gauge than fronts............

As for tyres, 3.25 was standard for most WD bikes...........only the M20 with WM3 rims used (sometimes) the 3.50 tyres............but there is only 1/4" difference between 3.25 and 3.50 so the difference is negligible.........:-D

Thanks, will check all three sources. On a second look the number of different angled spokes on my rear wheel was also unlogical. Is there a manual which tells me which spoke lenght and angle I have to use on my wheel on the correct position?

So my Indian tires will have to wait a few weeks more. You might be right, I wouldn´t have noticed the diameter

differences if I hadn´t kept the old 3.00 and 3.25 tires.

All the companies mentioned should know the correct spokes for your wheels. The dimples in the rims are also pierced at the correct angles for whatever hub they are attached to. I had a very successful encounter last year with 'Devon Rims' for new rims and spokes for my BSA/Indian special.

Ron

• 2 months later...

In terms of tyres i would recommend Ensign ..I found about about them via the VMCC..They have a Square tread but a more modern profile on the tyre and i feel are better on corners ...They are rated to 120mph so should be fine for the 3HW..

I would describe them as a road tyre ..but if you anticipate field work Mitas would have the edge ..I had ordered some tyres described as Dunlop universal from India but must admit when i saw them face to face decided i had made a mistake and the dealer agreed .

Jenkinov

I fitted those Ensign tyres to a 5SW that I restored last year. Quite nice and easy to buy here. (I used Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu)) I also fitted the Indian Dunlop Universals to a C10 this year. The Dunlops are a very nice replica of the original period tyre. I've seen 79x100 riding on his and he don't wait for no one!! They are almost impossible to buy here in UK now.......These ones came from 'Peter's' in the low lands. Ron

5SW 127.jpg

Tibo 124.jpg