Humber Pig MOT

Guest rachel

Try and keep away from pointing out that it's armoured and unusual. Fill out the form with as few details as possible, and the best bet is to take the documents to a DVLA local office. Deal with someone direct, it's much easier than explaining it on the phone. Take photos but don't show them unless you need to.

Chris

If you got to DVLA office - never, EVER, go to the Chelmsford one with anything even slightly out of the Ordinary!!! Biggest waste of rations going that lot!!! :argh: :argh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you must be able to prove that if you have an accident or stopped...

Yes and there are lots of examples :-D

However were you aware that the offence for not having a valid MOT does not carry any penalty points, only a fine, usually about £30 but can be up to £1000.

Having a defective vehicle is an entirely different matter tho, with or without a valid MOT.:nono:

Edited by Grumpy

However were you aware that the offence for not having a valid MOT does not carry any penalty points, only a fine, usually about £30 but can be up to £1000.

:stop: Not a good line to argue, if it is deemed you should have an MOT (ie your claim for exemption is found to be spurious) then your insurance is invalidated and they will get you that way as well so your potential total bill just got bigger

Never look at penalties in isolation or use that too justify to yourself not paying the fee in the first place

:stop: Not a good line to argue, if it is deemed you should have an MOT (ie your claim for exemption is found to be spurious) then your insurance is invalidated and they will get you that way as well so your potential total bill just got bigger

Never look at penalties in isolation or use that too justify to yourself not paying the fee in the first place

Totally agree, however if you have paid for insurance it will not be void for third party claims, which is the minimum requirement in law to drive on the highway. Even if you have never had a licence and not old enough to get one, or even nicked the truck. But we wont go there, got told off last time we did with this particular loophole in our great English law.

Edited by Grumpy

hi,

the pig comes under the catigory of special purpus and it is pre 1960 and over 3.5 tonns in weight makes it exempt from m.o.t. but you do have to keep it in roadworthery condition. try to get a letter from dvla stating this and then when you go to tax the vehicle each year at your local office you can show it if needed

hi gent, when i took my old girl to the DVLA.on the V5C was issued, tax class HISTORIC vehicle & body type MINIBUS, and heres the funny bit 6660.0 KG unladen, she is heavy and she,s fully armoured with wings, so there was no question of riot vehicle..?? infact it all took about an hour, and had no problems. so all the best and hope you get things sorted

6660.0 KG unladen, she is heavy and she,s fully armoured with wings,

The EMER puts a Mk 2 at 7797 kg & that is without the wings.

When I had a Mk 2, I had terrible problems getting the weight & engine capacity assigned correctly, both were wrong. At first they changed the weight & engine capacity to the figure of the weight. I re submitted & then they changed both to the engine capacity! I think I should have just submitted one change at a time, rather expect multi-tasking.

Guest rachel

nothing seems to be simple, they should have a new cat for all military vehicles to be FREE, as we are all keeping the history alive, and costs anough as it is, now would'nt that be nice, but thanks all for your info i will let you know what happens with it

Rachel,

Here we go this is how my Mk1 Pig was registered in 2005

Direct from the V5C

If the field isnt mentioned, example [y] Revenue Weight

its because it has been left blank on the V5C.

D.1 Make: Humber

D.3 Body Type: Special Purpose

[X] Taxation class: Historic Vehicle

P.1 Cylinder Capacity (cc): 4250 CC

P.3 Type of fuel: Petrol

S.1 Number of Seats: 4 (Dont ask, it doesnt make sense to me either)

D.4 Wheelpan: 2 Axle-Rigid Body

K. Type approval number: Exempt

E. VIN/Chassis/Frame No.: XXXXX

P.5 Engine Number: XXXX

R. Colour: Green/Beige, or Whatever you fancy!

Never had a problem getting the vehicle taxed, if it has been registered correctly with the DVLA, the MOT exemption will be recorded and will show when you produce your renewal letter at the Post Office. You will not be able to get a tax disc online, as it is only set up for modern machinery and requires MOT as part of the electronic search before issue.

My own vehicle was declared manufactured in 1953, with a date of first registration in 2005, obviously in your case it will be 2009 if you do get it registered.

Had no problem with the logbook when i took it into DVLA offices to get the address changed in 2007 and obtained a tax disc for it at the same time.

I think the key to registering your Humber Pig (An inspired choice of vehicle, i may add!) is not to over complicate it all.

:)

Now then, forget the forms for a moment lets see a picture of the beast!

Guest rachel

heres one for you. When clearing out the back of the pig i found these two boxes laying in the back, i have been all over the pig but cant see where thay come from. Does anyone have any ideas or are they from some think completely different!!!!!

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

Guest rachel

i have another question on my pig. the brakes are on all the time and i have even disconected the master cylinder, all i can think of is the hand brake is holding all the brakes on, but the leaver is free. does any one have any diagrames or problem solving ideas? this is on all 4 wheels and how do i feel up the hydrolic oil in the windoe pistons (sorry to be a pain)

If you got to DVLA office - never, EVER, go to the Chelmsford one with anything even slightly out of the Ordinary!!! Biggest waste of rations going that lot!!! :argh: :argh:

I am sorry you had a bad experience with the dreaded DVLA at Chelmsford Neil, but in the interest of balance and to encourage others to road register ex-military (and anything else interesting) vehicles I must comment that my own experience with Chelmsford DVLA office was reasonably painless (an irritating delay of a few days waiting for the Inspector to visit me and look at the hull # on the Spartan was the only fly in the ointment) apart from that they processed both my registration for my Chevrolet M1008 and my Spartan efficiently. The DVLA employees were in fact very helpful with the Spartan. So my point is to anyone reading this DON’T let the odd bad experience put you off, after all the more greenies we can get out on the road the better!

Rachel on top of the hydraulic pumps there are 3 Allen screws & a larger hexagonal headed one - that one is your filler plug. Do watch your fingers those visors are very heavy. It was a struggle for two of us to carry one.

Unlike a Land Rover with the hand brake operating on the transmission, the Humber has rods linking the handbrake to all the wheel cylinders. These rods are either seized, or the wheel cylinders are seized or the brakes shoes have got stuck onto the drum with rust.

If you are convinced the rods are not pulling the brakes on, try slackening the brake adjusters off & seeing if you can get a wheel to spin freely, then re-adjust.

You may encounter two types of adjuster. The earlier system with slots in two horizontally adjacent adjuster wheels accessed through a slot in the back plate, usually covered with an elliptical rubber bung.

Or you may have the later type which is a square nut head with a hexagonal one superimposed on it.

When re-adjusting do the lower slotted wheel first as it tends to pull the upper wheel. Similarly with the other type do the square nut first.

If you take a wheel off remember, the studs on the RHS are RH thread & on LHS are LH thread.

Edited by fv1609

Guest rachel

All the cables are very lack all the way up to each hub i de-justed one of the hubs and managed to get a wheel drum off ,the piston does not seem to be seized because you can spin them around in the cylinder. so i think the hand brake mechinisum seem's to be stuck on in the cylinder if so how would i correct this.At the moment the manual is on order so a diagramme would help please please thanks lads

Not quite sure what you mean that you can spin round in the cylinder. I can visualise a situation where it has been left with hand brake on (best to leave stored with handbrake off but choked & in gear) So that the cup is seized but the plunger from with handbrake cable can moved. Looks as if you'll have to dismantle the cylinders & see.

I had this once & I couldn't get the cup etc out. So I had to drill a hole in the cylinder base, then with a thin rod bash out the cup. Honed the cylinder, tapped & plugged my access hole, new cup & rubber-greased. Until such time as I got another cylinder.

Although the cylinders are the same as Ferret the cable lengths are different. Appx 39in for Humber but appx 54in on Ferret.