Humber Pig MOT

Guest rachel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rachel

ok everyone i can not unfree the brake cylinders so i am going to replace them all, wheres the best place for selling these cheap cheap

ok everyone i can not unfree the brake cylinders so i am going to replace them all, wheres the best place for selling these cheap cheap

Unobtainable!

In 15 years of always looking for Humber bits I only once found some for sale. That was over 10 years ago & was on a Jeep stall! They didn't know what they were & after many years of carting them around were pleased to off load them.

You will have to dismantle them & apply some WD40 & probably gentle heat to free them up. Hone them & use new cups from John Walker. Re-assembly is where the fun begins.

On the MOT issue. I have just re-taxed my pig. If I go to a main PO they usually refuse to tax it & suggest I go to a LVLO. That is because they are all on a bonus for the number of people processed per hour & anything unusual is ignored if at all possible.

On the other hand the village PO is pleased to see you. Every year the V112G/R is carefully scrutinised, but today there was a locum who didn't take a great deal of interest in the V112G/R. Although the V11 stated a MOT Certificate was required, his concern was whether the Swansea computer required the MOT. It apparently didn't, so I was alright. Leaves me wondering if I really needed to present a V112G/R after all?

Clive,

Would Ferret cylinders fit, or are they externally different? Ferret cylinders are around, but are expensive. I fitted 4 new ones to mine as I gave up trying to get the pistons out!

Chris

Clive,

Would Ferret cylinders fit, or are they externally different? Ferret cylinders are around, but are expensive. I fitted 4 new ones to mine as I gave up trying to get the pistons out!

Chris

The actual cylinder is the same, the problem is the cable length. On Ferret it is about 54 in but on a Humber only 39 in.

I know one could shorten the cables....but these are brake cables & I don't want to mess around doing that sort of thing.

I have used Ferret assemblies just to use the cylinder part but I suspect nowadays that is never going to be a cheap option!

Clive,

I was thinking more of using the cylinder than the complete cylinder & cable. There are actually 2 lenghts of cable on the Ferret, the rear ones are quite a lot longer than the front since the handbrake linkage is near the front bevel boxes. I replaced all these cables (and brake pipes) with the engine and gearbox fitted, it was a nightmare of a job!

Chris

Clive,

I was thinking more of using the cylinder than the complete cylinder & cable. There are actually 2 lenghts of cable on the Ferret, the rear ones are quite a lot longer than the front since the handbrake linkage is near the front bevel boxes. I replaced all these cables (and brake pipes) with the engine and gearbox fitted, it was a nightmare of a job!

Chris

Yes that's what I did & just used the cylinders. I only mentioned 54in as that was the length of the ones I used. I don't know which of the 3 Ferret types it was. But at least the Humber ones are all the same, although none are the same as Ferret. The same cylinder is also used on the front of Morris MRA1.

Well to my mind Chris, doing any internal work on a Ferret is a nightmare of a job!