Stalwart MK1/2 Bottoms!

madrat

Question

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out the best way forward for my mk1 stolly restoration!

Could anyone tell me if the lower part of the hull is the same on the mk1 as it is on the mk2? For instance could the mk1 cab top be fitted onto a mk2 hull?

I think I can get a very sad mk2 at a good price and make one running truck out of the two! Its either a cab swap or everything mechanical into the mk1.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

I dont know how many little differences there are but the first two obvious ones are the mk2 having a winch up front and the mk2 has the central lube system with the oil tank as part of the hull crossmember. I would be tempted to take the mechanicals out of the mk 2 and use them in the mk1 hull.

The drop sides on the Mk2 are different to the Mk 1, so is the load bed flooring. As Pop Top says - the Mk 2 has a centralised Lube system, inside the cab the Mk 1 has a bulkhead beside the driver whereas the Mk2 is full width, instrument panels are totally different so the wiring will all be different in the cab. I think the bilge pumps are different between the Mk 1 and Mk 2.

Dimension wise you'd be best to take a tape measure to the two and double or triple check everything. I think making one from the two will be a hell of a job!!!

The drop sides on the Mk2 are different to the Mk 1, so is the load bed flooring. As Pop Top says - the Mk 2 has a centralised Lube system, inside the cab the Mk 1 has a bulkhead beside the driver whereas the Mk2 is full width, instrument panels are totally different so the wiring will all be different in the cab. I think the bilge pumps are different between the Mk 1 and Mk 2.

Dimension wise you'd be best to take a tape measure to the two and double or triple check everything. I think making one from the two will be a hell of a job!!!

But didn't your MK2 turn into a MK1 overnight with a cab change? or did they put everything from your MK2 on to a MK1 donor body:confused:

But didn't your MK2 turn into a MK1 overnight with a cab change? or did they put everything from your MK2 on to a MK1 donor body:confused:

No it became an older Mk2 with bolt in windows instead of bonded ones, bit of an extreme move to get rid of that cab rot you had. :rofl:

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me if the lower part of the hull is the same on the mk1 as it is on the mk2? For instance could the mk1 cab top be fitted onto a mk2 hull?

Thanks!

Cutting a cab off a Stolly is not as easy as it looks, front and sides are easy enough but the back where it interfaces with the load bed is not, been there done it and wont go back again.

The Mk1’s are getting quite rare now so you would do much better keeping the MK1 hull. Major bits off the MK 11 that you need for your MK1 are: Engine, Gearbox, Radiator (with a few pipe mods.), there isn’t much more in the engine bay, keep the MK1 Radiator Fans, Fuel and Oil Tanks. You can remove the engine / box in one lump if you have lifting tackle big enough.

Engine & gear box comes out in about 5 hours with two mechs working on it.

Load bed is a different layout but you have the sub-frame so you should be able to modify (butcher) the alloy to panels to fit.

Mk1’s don’t have an electric bilge pump, most of the bilge is taken away via a venturi effect with bleed pipes from the Dowty Water Jets (again different on the Mk1), and there is still the emergency hand pump behind the driver’s seat.