Replica ownership

N.O.S.

Question

Following the excellent simple replies to Rick's De-Ac question, can I be a menace and ask for a simple answer to the same question but for Replica weapons please?

Last year's discussion left me totally confused.

Or is it the case that - unless it is painted kermit green -I'm not even supposed to be in posession of a replica rifle?

To buy a De Ac no problem. To buy a pice of wood shaped like a gun. 1 You have to bea member of an organised, re-enactment, historical or dramitic group. 2. the group has to have third party public liability insurance.3 On purchse you must prove 1 & 2 . You may buy a 'realistic' replica gun if it painted some bizzare coulours, but you will commit an offence if you repaint it. If you can make sense of this, the United nations need you NOW"!!!! After you have described the theory of everything of cours, but that should be light entertainment.

Or own LIVE Artillery just easy..:-D

Yep, providing it a single shot, then it's a bolt action rifle. Bofors etc would count as semi auto and above .22 so out. Or Full auto so section 5. Do you know, a vet's blow gun becomes section 5 when the dart is in place as the drug counts as a noxious substance.

Yep, providing it a single shot, then it's a bolt action rifle. Bofors etc would count as semi auto and above .22 so out. Or Full auto so section 5. Do you know, a vet's blow gun becomes section 5 when the dart is in place as the drug counts as a noxious substance.

My 25pdr's a Breach loading Gun... MOBAT's a Breach loading Recoiless Rifle.. not a bolt in sight:coffee:

At least they don't insist you keep it in 'An Approved cabanit '. Well not yet. :-D What sort of charge do you use in the recoiless though? Don't they use a special case to back bleed the gas for the recoiless effect?

PS anyone know where a 6 pounder is, or even a 2 pounder? Look very good behind a Dodge.

Edited by Tony B

Its at the discretion of your local Police Force what security arrangements they decide to impose on your artillery or any other licence. If you live on different sides of the same street in two different counties requirements may differ.

In my County only the breech block is required to be kept in a gun safe. In a neighbouring County they want the vehicle locked in an approved building.

In another case I have heard about they wanted the vehicle in a high security building with an alarm linked to the local police station. The majority of owners would give up at this stage and not wish to spend the money challenging such a decision.

Edited by REME 245

How about a 17-pdr? I've seen 25-pdr field guns at shows and some German ATs, but never a 17-pdr AT, any photos?

On a further point, my FAC is only for your run of the mill firearms (a .22 Ruger and a .303 No4Mk1), a section 1 I believe. To own a live AT or Field gun do you need a full blown section 5 or is there some kind of section 1 with additions? Lets say you were to import armour with a live 75mm gun... would that be possible with anything other than a section 5?

How about a 17-pdr? I've seen 25-pdr field guns at shows and some German ATs, but never a 17-pdr AT, any photos?

On a further point, my FAC is only for your run of the mill firearms (a .22 Ruger and a .303 No4Mk1), a section 1 I believe. To own a live AT or Field gun do you need a full blown section 5 or is there some kind of section 1 with additions? Lets say you were to import armour with a live 75mm gun... would that be possible with anything other than a section 5?

17pdr... watch this space:coffee:

25pdr is bog standard Section 1... no ammunition held though... for Blank Fire purposes only...

Any Section 1 weapon can be held but you have to show good reason... & it all depends of which Police Force Area you live in, Essex is one of the better ones. One of the members on here has an Abbott SPG held on licence..

Can someone answer a simple question -

The VCR act came into force 2006 -

Am I comitting an offence owning a replica purchased prior to the introduction of the VCR act?

If I am not comitting an offence - what paperwork do I need to stay on the right side of the law?

Ta

Can someone answer a simple question -

The VCR act came into force 2006 -

Am I comitting an offence owning a replica purchased prior to the introduction of the VCR act?

If I am not comitting an offence - what paperwork do I need to stay on the right side of the law?

Ta

No offence if you keep it in your house... have to comply with VCR act for anything else.. to take it out you need to be in a reenactment group with PLI for reenactment.. standing by your vehicle with a gun does not count as reenactment... see post #2

Half the problem sems to be , what constitues a 'renactment gruoup' ?

That's in the regs too Tony..

(7) In this section—

“historical re-enactment” means any presentation or other event held for the purpose of re-enacting an event from the past or of illustrating conduct from a particular time or period in the past;

Don't forget there must be a minimum of two in the group & have PLI for reenacting purposes, members must carry printed membership card with their photo attached..

Edited by Marmite!!

Hang on, it says-

A person is guilty of an offence if

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

© he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought

into Great Britain.

It doesn't say it's an offence to own or display an imitation firearm at an organised event, or am I missing something?

Hang on, it says-

A person is guilty of an offence if

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

© he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or

(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought

into Great Britain.

It doesn't say it's an offence to own or display an imitation firearm at an organised event, or am I missing something?

To take a RIF out in a public place is an offence covered by the Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 (amendment to Firearms Act)

37 Possession of air weapon or imitation firearm in public place

(1) In section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968 (c. 27) (offence to carry firearm in public place) for the words from “a loaded shot gun” to the end of the section substitute—

“(a) a loaded shot gun,

(b) an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

© any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d) an imitation firearm.”

Unless you have a defence in law as set out by the secretary of State. One of the defences being:

VCR Act...

(7) In this section—

“historical re-enactment” means any presentation or other event held for the purpose of re-enacting an event from the past or of illustrating conduct from a particular time or period in the past;

The reason I asked the question was this:

After collecting the Autocar with a stepframe last August we stopped at services on the A14 for fuel. A chap came over to admire the truck, and in the course of conversation he said "Hey, you ought to cover that up before the police see it!".

See WHAT? I thought :confused: - but when I glanced up into the cab I saw the barrel of a rifle sticking out from its ancient canvas cover, which had objected to the high speed drive and had started to tear along the zip :shake:

I have to say it came as a bit of a surprise since I had not noticed the rifle holder in the corner of the cab behind the passenger seat (hidden by the seat canvas and the rear cab tarp.) on this or the first meeting with the truck. I left it alone as we were heading back non-stop from here.

Safely locked away that night, and the following day I took a look. It appeared to be an old rifle - rusty barrel but I couldn't get the cover off to see the stock and the rifle seemed to be stuck in the holder. Two days later I had time to extract it, but not before I found an identical rifle behind the driver's seat!

After a big struggle (taking care not to damage the covers) I found they were replicas -the timber stock was quite crude with a rudimentary casting representing the trigger and guard, but the barrel was so realistic! It certainly had me going!

Both now hidden away pending disposal. But I'd like to get some new canvases and fill them with stuffing, so what better stuffing than these guns? I could always paint them yellow or purple.

Question - if they were hidden from view in the covers, and bolted to the holders, would they constitute a violation of the legislation?

Edited by N.O.S.

Yes - I do believe there are some very nice examples over in Holland, a little place called Overloon........

(ducking and running - well, OK, hobbling, as fast as possible....)

Same problem as the Pacific! SOMEONE didn't book luggage on the flights! (PS we could weld a NATO hook to the back of your car and one night.......:cool2:)