Landrover possible charging issue

Right,Here is an odd one..

I have re-installed the stowage box in the rear for the radio charging system.

I have also replaced the headlight units and opted for Xenon bulbs.

Now somewhere along the lines something has gone wrong and I cant figure it out.

Upon driving this evening in the dark, the charging light is glowing very slightly. If I put on full beam and the penthouse lights it gets slightly brighter.

The alternator is charging. I have checked all visable connectors which all seem tight. the batteries seem to be getting 12.5-13v reading indicating a charge coming in..

But what might be causing this? Also! the headlight Blue light in the dial for indication of full beam now stays on very dim. Enough to notice..

Have I missed something?

If it is charging you should get about 13.8 volts at the battery can you check with multi meter ?

Could be a bad earth, have you disturbed something

or a bad connection in one of the headlamps and causing a back feed through the main beam ind light !!!!!!!!!!

Only guessing though

If it is charging you should get about 13.8 volts at the battery can you check with multi meter ?

Could be a bad earth, have you disturbed something

or a bad connection in one of the headlamps and causing a back feed through the main beam ind light !!!!!!!!!!

Only guessing though

Bad earth on the headlights?

Paul,

I thought Xenon bulbs were like flourescent tubes and pulsed so many times a second, therefore they require a seperate power supply. Are you sure they are Xenon bulbs?

Chris

You can get Xenon bulbs,that are just filled with a xenon gas.These are the cheap option,and should not be confused with H.I.D units that require a seperate ballast.

This is what proper H.I.D lamps look like as fitted to my 90.....................

30-10-07_0342.jpg

Normal xenon gas filled bulbs dont produce this intensity of light.

And by the way i think the dimly glowing light is the diode pack on the back of the alternator on its way out.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I need to confirm my set up has not been tampered with as much as i think it has!!

many thanks

Don't always believe the circuit diagram. One of the diagrams has the radio battery link between the two 12-v batteries going to earth!

Which installation do you have Paul, the Gen Panel No.4 with single ammeter or Gen Panel No.3 with 2 ammeters?

Right.. been playing all day with the FFR

Seems from the ammeter there should be 2x live cables for charging.. one to the rear stowage other to the front batteries..

One had been cut half way and was not connected! so I was not charging. and my other live was sitting on the stowage box! which does not help! hence my alternator light coming on very dim! as the front batteries become discharged

SO now I have 2 sets off batteries charging! only odd thing is the front set at 25.2V aned the rear seem to be 26.8

I assume this will be so until both sets are charged?

Clive, I have a single Ammeter

Single ammeter implies the transistorised regulator in Gen Panel No.9 Mk 4. Hope this helps, although the feed to the vehicle batteries (31) is wrong! It should not go to the battery link! It should of course go to +ve terminal of upper battery of the pair comprising 31.

S324vTransistorFoga.jpg

31 vehicle batteries

34 radio batteries

49 shunt

46 ammeter

44 light bulb for ammeter

45 push switch for light

48 fuse (radio batteries)

47 +ve terminal post (for vehicle batteries & light supply)

67 Gen Panel

72 Generator

73 filter unit, which I have never seen fitted, is to protect sensitive radio equipment from voltage spikes

Note that the +ve supply for radio batteries & vehicle batteries are independent. They are only connected in parallel inside the Gen panel when voltage from generator is adequate & then are also connected to the main output from the generator.

Edited by fv1609