Morris MRA1 1 Ton truck

Adam Elsdon

Somebody i know is getting a Morris MRA1 truck, in need of a bit of restoration but not too bad overall, he has asked me to keep an eye out for anything MRA1....

So not been entirely sure what an MRA1 is other than its a 1 Ton truck from the same post war era as the mighty Humber 1 Ton truck and its slightly less mighty sibling the Austin K9 1 Ton truck.

I found a picture of one, but i couldnt get a copy to put on here, anybody like to fill me in on what its all about, it would seem that they are pretty rare beasts.

There have been article covering the MRA1 in CMV August 2008, Windscreen Summer 2003 And Wheels and Tracks. The main contract was for 7000 vehicles but they were not popular and were disposed of quite quickly. I remember lots coming on to the market in the sixties but they all seemed to disappear in short order.

There have been article covering the MRA1 in CMV August 2008, Windscreen Summer 2003 And Wheels and Tracks. The main contract was for 7000 vehicles but they were not popular and were disposed of quite quickly. I remember lots coming on to the market in the sixties but they all seemed to disappear in short order.

The last ones sold off from Ruddington in the late 1970's. They were GS bodies but with HP air charging units in the back. I know of a chap who bought one, very low miles and sold the compressor, got some money back!

Good luck with rebuild, Dad used to drive these in the 70's for crop spraying still using original petrol engine but with large tank on rear and a ford donkey engine to run the pump and booms folded up each side. Operating accross fields somewhat overweight fuel consumption was pretty bad and half shafts/transfer box life was short. Apparently Jacksons used to have tons of bits for them but that was 30yrs ago now! On road they were good for 60 on a long enough bit of road.

These may help Adam, two shots of restored examples and one in service in the 1950s

Smart looking trucks, i dont think i have ever seen one in the tin, i take it they are 4WD and not 2WD like the civvy commercial, did they use common 4x4 parts or did it have its own bespoke system.

Interesting to know about the brake part commonality with the Humber 1 ton, i am quite good at rebuilding brake components now!

• 8 years later...

When I was a REME Craftsman with 34 Light Air Defence Regiment Workshop in Germany in the early 1960s, we had a Morris 1 ton just like these. It was a water bowser and drove like a real pig! Everything about it seemed vague, steering, brakes, and it never felt very stable. When going on exercise, we used to draw lots to see who had to drive it! Not a patch on the other 1 tonners (Austin K9s).

I can remember a situation on exercise in Kenya about 1961 when my Bedford RL went into a puddle right up to the cab door, stuck and  entirely blocking the track. We tried to pull it out backwards but with no success. The only vehicle which was ahead of it was the Morris water truck which did successfully pull it out!  So it wasn't entirely bad though certainly not the most comfortable ride!

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove

• 6 years later...

I learned to drive in one of these in 1969, my father had one, plus the Austin k9 and a Bedford too, but it was the Morris 1ton 4x4 he kept as being the best of them.

Longest run I was out on one was Dad towing a car to Campbeltown from Dumbarton around 1968 using the Morris. We also towed a yacht from Balloch at Loch Lomond to Helensburgh, the truck was certainly powerful enough ... the brakes however were diabolical. we did tow a 30ton artic lorry to get it off the road, low range was a big help.