New Yank on board!

Marines42

Greetings to all from lovely Baghdad. Former Marine and present security contractor in Iraq hailing from Georgia in the USA. I have an affinity for old armour from Her Majesties service and have a Ferret Mk 2/3 and a Humber Pig Mk 2 that I am restoring at the moment. I look forward to speaking to and learning from you all! Cheers!

OO EA 18 (She is not correctly marked on the hull)

0162.jpg

31 BK 83

in-pig-4.jpg

Welcome, nice to see we export some stuff to your side of the pond. Mind you I wouldn't swop the Dodge. :-D

As one of the total sidetracks this forum is famous for. The March past of the Royal Militia Island of Jersey was 'Marching through Georgia', haven't found out why though (Yet!!)

Welcome to the Friendly Forum. We definitely have plenty of room for many more folk from across the Pond. Owning a Ferret and a Pig proves you have a sense of humour. Writing from Baghdad proves you are completely nuts. You have come to the right place! We do have some clubhouse rules you will need to follow. We can provide our own burgers - but we don't like ketchup stains on the Mess carpet. Jack can't get the staff to clean them up.

MB

Thanks to all for the enthusiastic greetings! I have a bit of an interesting family history. I have an Irish father from Boston who was a career Army officer and a Korean mother. He retired in Georgia and that is how we ended up there. There was a lot of ill feeling about "The Troubles" even in the states as you can imagine. A lot of people in the states are of Irish descent. Though the rest of my family was in the Army, I joined the Marines which directly traces it's ancestry to the Royal Marines. I have seen your forces in action all over the world and you have always been our staunchest ally in even the most unpopular causes. I recognize this and have always appreciated it as many others do. In my opinion, Great Britain brought civilization to most of the world and it wouldn't be what it is today (for better or for worse) without that influence. I am glad to be here and look forward to learning more and more about our interesting hobby and hearing of your own experiences.

You have an interesting story to tell there, Mike. I am a Scots-Irish-English mix and am British to the core. We skirt as carefully around politics as we can on the forum - avoiding it as much as possible - my old Dad (who was a committed communist) always said NEVER discuss politics and religion. I was a five minute wonder in the army as opposed to a good many blokes on this forum who had to serve across the Irish sea. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and everyone has a point of view and no one side can claim to have their hands clean - it would be a lie. But being entirely biased I would direct you to the excellent book A Long, Long War by Ken Wharton; which is covered elsewhere on HMVF; which is a sorry tale of how the armed forces always get the excremental end of the politicians' stick. Things never change....

I don't suppose any of you know Ian Wallace? British by birth but raised in the states. He runs the Ferret-AFV forum and has given me much help in restoring my ferret. I know he makes the rounds in quite a few forums like this.

He is a member of this forum FerretDriver but is not that active on here..