Moon take a look.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

No moon here, it must be shy and all you silly b.....s taking photos of it has scared it off.:nono::argh::-D

Never mind mate 9.48 tomorrow.they do say there may be earthquakes.volcanos and severe flooding,make sure the sheep are all in.:-D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind mate 9.48 tomorrow.they do say there may be earthquakes.volcanos and severe flooding,make sure the sheep are all in.:-D

Oh aye, wish I had a pound for all the times I've heard things like that:-D

The sheep will be alright on top of the hill where they live but I could be a bit more vulnerable, I,m less than 100 yards from the river:shake:

If you have been watching Catastrophe with Baldrick ... I mean Tony Robinson ... one - probably the first one - of the three episodes I have watched (fourth is Sky+ed) looks at the Moon, created in the Earth's infancy when it was hit by another young planet, Thea. When the Moon was only about 15,000 miles away, shortly after creation, and water had formed, tides were running at 100 miles high.

Project Apollo is still running. One of the lander crews placed a laser target on the surface and every day the Project Apollo team acquire and zap the target. As tidal friction between Earth and Moon slows them both down, the Moon's orbit does indeed move out by a foot every year (that's 30cm in Pound Shillings and Pence) and I am pleased to say the tides are also reducing as a result.

According to the programme, we are lucky beyond measurement to be alive after all the catastrophes that have befallen the planet, wiped out 99% of all life-forms that have ever existed and yet each has created a environmental change that has enabled the Earth's ecosystem to quantum leap forward to create a human-inhabitable biosphere.

saw a shooting star in the back garden last night, I was in the back garden, not the shooting star. Mentioned on the telly we should see quite a few over the next couple of days...:-D

Leonids IIRC? Maybe not - the dark recesses of my bank of useless information that I cannot be bothered to cross-refer on the wide-eyed web suggest they might be early November. If you sit and plot and extrapolate back the tracks of the meteorites at this time, almost all (apart from some randoms) originate near the constellation of Leo. It's just coincidence because at this time in the earth year, the planet passes through a dust cloud and the meteoroids enter the atmosphere in the area of this constellation. The Perseids arrive about 11 August. We usually sit out for a while in the late evening for the Perseids. Easily pleased, us.

Full moon? So how much does it take to fill it?

Won't tell you how much, but if you have an iGoogle page you can add this gadget:

http://www.google.co.uk/ig/mailgadget?hl=en&moduleurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calculatorcat.com%2Fgmodules%2Fcurrent_moon.xml&mid=18&source=share_gadget#

It shows the moon's phase, etc. Amuses me (not difficult).

Oops. The link actually takes me to a link to share the gadget with people in my address book. Tough.

Edited by AlienFTM
Edited for putting up a duff link.

Dunno about seeing shooting stars, I could barely see the opposite side of my street this morning there was so much frost and mist. It's like winters of old. Where has all the Global Warming gone? What I want to know about the cleverness of the Huns is, why does my wife's Mini have no ice on it while my Turkish built Toyota looks like the inside of my freezer (complete with burger wrappers).

• 4 weeks later...

Last month I watched Catastrophe. The first episode looked at "a few minutes after midnight on the Earth's 24-hour clock" and the collision of planets Earth and Thea to create the moon.

It later describes how, when water appeared on the surface, the moon was just 15,000 miles away and tides would have been 100 miles high.

Last month I watched Catastrophe. The first episode looked at "a few minutes after midnight on the Earth's 24-hour clock" and the collision of planets Earth and Thea to create the moon.

It later describes how, when water appeared on the surface, the moon was just 15,000 miles away and tides would have been 100 miles high.

I could of moored outside my house at high water :cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

snow2009.jpg

Its nothing that fancy mate,just blown the dust off,get some batteries and we are off,anything coming up.:-DCW.

Are there any forums could do with a break from here:shocked::sweat:

No, no, yours is a fancy bit of work, I'm only sporting the light wieght version.

3256901641_6236835709.jpg

:shocked: looks like that oufit cost more than my scope.i have still only got my old spotmatic with screw on lenses.:-D

Here's one of mine from a while back. Taken on a Nikon D50 with a 70-300mm zoom, but I can't remember if I was trying the x2 converter with it. The picture is severely cropped anyway.

Steve

nice one mate ,getting itchy to have a go now :-D

Woke up early again, moon was out & bright. First shot is with the Fuji S5 & second Fuji 602.

3262409996_94b167fd45_o.jpg

3262414696_35eab15a49_o.jpg

Both camera's were on auto with auto focus turned off. The 602 was my first 35mm format digital camera, it struggled with the moon shot but has excellent picture quality with an even exposure.

2480961110_79a54e9cc6_o.jpg

..there is one on ebay at the moment for less than £10.00. (digital camera with no picture :confused:).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2480961110_79a54e9cc6_o.jpg

NOTE: DONT WANT TO MOVE OFF TOPIC TO MUCH :-D